Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times

Advertisements

I'd advise you to fly into San Antonio and make it your "home base" for this trip. 4 of the top 10 tourist attractions in Texas are located in San Antonio. There's plenty to see here. Airfares to San Antonio are likely cheaper, too.

It's not a tough drive to visit, Brownsville, Corpus and Laredo from San Antonio, but since they're each more than 2 hours away, it's easier to spend the night.

Being in your mid-20s, you should spend a few days in Austin, too. It's less than 2 hours away from San Antonio and it's a great place for people in their 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM

172 posts, read 411,372 times
why do you want to go to the border?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 107,666 times
I want to go to the Border to experience a "different" vacation...I've done the Florida, New Orleans, California, NYC thing...I want to try something different.

I love warm weather and beaches, so the border makes sense. Additionally, I'm interested in experiencing a different culture.

Once I get married and have kids, I doubt I'll have the opportunity to take such trips...so I wanna get them in now.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 AM

19 posts, read 107,666 times
Also, I've done a lot of reading on this forum about the "RGV" - Most of the responses and attitudes toward the Valley are EXTREMELY negative. Based on what I read here, I would think that it's the armpit of America.

But here's the thing - I'm from what most would consider the "armpit of America", Detroit. While the city of Detroit does have it's serious problems, and I wouldn't recommend vacationing here (mostly due to weather), Detroit is actually a GREAT place and does not deserve the bad rep it gets. I feel that the RGV might fit into this category as well and would love to vacation in Texas' Detroit.

So, everyone tell me, is the RGV as bad as everyone makes it out to be??? Keep in mind that I have been to a lot of bad places, live in Metro Detroit, so I understand things, but it seem to me that the RGV looks like a pleasant place.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
The RGV is completely different to the rest of Texas, even San Antonio, although San Antonio is where South Texas begins. I've lived all over Texas and I find the RGV quite different to anywhere else in the state. If you really want to do the border area, then I would recommend some time on South Padre Island for its excellent beach and extraordinarily warm Gulf water. Basing yourself on South Padre you can explore various towns of the RGV and the border city of Brownsville.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter83 View Post
Also, I've done a lot of reading on this forum about the "RGV" - Most of the responses and attitudes toward the Valley are EXTREMELY negative. Based on what I read here, I would think that it's the armpit of America.

But here's the thing - I'm from what most would consider the "armpit of America", Detroit. While the city of Detroit does have it's serious problems, and I wouldn't recommend vacationing here (mostly due to weather), Detroit is actually a GREAT place and does not deserve the bad rep it gets. I feel that the RGV might fit into this category as well and would love to vacation in Texas' Detroit.

So, everyone tell me, is the RGV as bad as everyone makes it out to be??? Keep in mind that I have been to a lot of bad places, live in Metro Detroit, so I understand things, but it seem to me that the RGV looks like a pleasant place.
It isn't that the RGV is a bad place, it's that the Mexican drug cartels have made it a dangerous place. They aren't something to mess with. They kill mercilessly and without reason (remember the missionary wife not long ago...) They are firing weapons into the United States (less than two weeks ago...but they weren't expecting the response they got from Texas law enforcement! LOL) and they are starting to spread their violence deeper into our country. The chances of something happening to you in Mexico are slim, but they are still there, and they're at a higher percentage than ever before. There's no way I would run that risk right now, especially when there's absolutely nothing you can see in Mexico border towns that you can't see in South Texas border towns.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
It's not bad at all, certainly not the "armpit of Texas". There is just nothing interesting to do, aside from shopping. There's not even good Mexican food here. That's why you see most everyone recommending you visit SA or Austin, because that's what WE do when we want to be entertained. You can only walk the mall so many times before it becomes boring! There is certainly no comparison to Detroit, though. That's totally off base. This is not an urban area at all--the small towns that make up the valley pretty much run together, with fields and orchards dispersed throughout. The area is growing rapidly with new businesses popping up all over. The main tourists that do come here are generally the elderly, who enjoy the yearround warm weather, and bird-, butterfly-, and dragonfly-watching.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
There is just nothing interesting to do, aside from shopping
I would have to disagree especially for someone that has never been here. If you live here then I understand that comment but for someone new I am sure they will find something of interest. As for Mexican food that is a matter of opinion. Sure SA and Austin has good Tex-Mex food but I beg to differ that we do not have any good Mexican food. We are practically in Mexico and to say that I just don't know what to think.. As for shopping to each his own. I personally haven't gone to the mall in years. It just doesn't do anything for me. As to what to do?? Going to the beach is a good start.. Fishing, hiking (when it's cool), Birding, etc.

Quote:
it's that the Mexican drug cartels have made it a dangerous place
The violence is mainly in Mexico and should not affect most people in the RGV unless you are in the drug trade.

As for Mexico I would not recommend going across except maybe to Progreso for a few hours. There is not much to look at there so if you don't go you will not miss much.. It is only one main street lined with vendors, Dentists, Pharmacies etc. If you want cheap liquor, meds, and or dental care then yes.. Just remember to take your passport.. Unfortunately it is not safe for anyone in Mexico right now and that includes Mexicans. Also the border area is absolutely the worst place to get a true idea of what Mexico is really like. It is a beautiful country but that certainly does NOT include the border area.

Last edited by gguerra; 06-22-2011 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
It isn't that the RGV is a bad place, it's that the Mexican drug cartels have made it a dangerous place. They aren't something to mess with. They kill mercilessly and without reason (remember the missionary wife not long ago...) They are firing weapons into the United States (less than two weeks ago...but they weren't expecting the response they got from Texas law enforcement! LOL) and they are starting to spread their violence deeper into our country. The chances of something happening to you in Mexico are slim, but they are still there, and they're at a higher percentage than ever before. There's no way I would run that risk right now, especially when there's absolutely nothing you can see in Mexico border towns that you can't see in South Texas border towns.
TOTALLY agree here.

My in-laws live in Del Rio, and they do not go "across the river" anymore. Even a sleepy little town like Cd. Acuna is now too dangerous. A few months ago, the cartels burned down all of the tourist area (restaurants/shopping/bars) near the international bridge. So, there's nothign over there anymore to even make it worth going across.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
TOTALLY agree here.

My in-laws live in Del Rio, and they do not go "across the river" anymore. Even a sleepy little town like Cd. Acuna is now too dangerous. A few months ago, the cartels burned down all of the tourist area (restaurants/shopping/bars) near the international bridge. So, there's nothign over there anymore to even make it worth going across.
That's just too sad. So I guess none of the border towns are reasonably safe any longer if Acuña isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas