Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 PM

20 posts, read 41,829 times

Advertisements

My family and I appear to be relocating to TX. I will be working near the Vista Ridge mall in Lewisville. We would like to find a house in the 200-300K range with .5 acre or more (with some trees a heavy desire). Our best bets appear to be the NW (Corinth, Shady Shores,Highland village). Most houses I like appear to be cheaper in this area too, any good reason why? I would like a 20-30 average commute and I know my wife would like to be near activities for the kids, newer shopping areas, etc. (kids are age 3 & 6 months) We would like a good school district, but doesn't have to be the "best".

What I'm having trouble researching is how large the asian population (and/or adopted population)by city. We are Caucasian, but my daughter was adopted from Vietnam and I would like for her to have exposure to all races, especially Asian. (and not be the only Asian kid in her class)

Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Flower Mound or Highland Village, perhaps Lantana. LISD is very good.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM

173 posts, read 402,151 times
Where are you moving from?

Houses are cheap because it is not near the city (Dallas). You will have to pick an area and then look at school demographics. Go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to get an idea. Suburban schools in DFW can have a racially Asian population that ranges anywhere from 5% to 20-25% percent like some schools in Plano or Richardson. But Asian is a very broad term that means lots of different people so they might be of Indian descent, Chinese, Iranian, Thai or anything. If you are looking for Vietnamese kids, I am sure that there are local groups of Vietnamese adoptive parents who meet.

I know tons of people who have been adopted or have adopted, all from different places, including Vietnam. Dallas is no different from anywhere else in that regard. Why would it be? Most of those schools are pretty mixed with Asian, White, Hispanic, and Black. Some of the DISD schools which are almost entirely black and Hispanic tend to have less Asian and Caucasian kids. I think Garden Ridge Elementary in Flower Mound? is like 13 percent Asian. Since the demographics of the city are very diverse and extremely multicultural, you should be able to look at numerous schools. If you are really concerned, just buy a home in one of the completely Asian areas north of the city (non-Indian ones).

Or on weekends you can just go to the solely Asian areas and hang about so she won't have to see anyone of any other race but Asian. Options are endless ;-)

Old 08-08-2011, 02:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
My family and I appear to be relocating to TX. I will be working near the Vista Ridge mall in Lewisville. We would like to find a house in the 200-300K range with .5 acre or more (with some trees a heavy desire). Our best bets appear to be the NW (Corinth, Shady Shores,Highland village). Most houses I like appear to be cheaper in this area too, any good reason why? I would like a 20-30 average commute and I know my wife would like to be near activities for the kids, newer shopping areas, etc. (kids are age 3 & 6 months) We would like a good school district, but doesn't have to be the "best".

What I'm having trouble researching is how large the asian population (and/or adopted population)by city. We are Caucasian, but my daughter was adopted from Vietnam and I would like for her to have exposure to all races, especially Asian. (and not be the only Asian kid in her class)

Thanks for any tips!
While Lewisville is diverse on its own (the city is 8% Asian and has a very large Hispanic community), if what you are looking for is a huge Asian community, I would look in Plano, Carrollton or Richardson. The city of Plano is 18% Asian and most of the schools in Plano are around 20% Asian (particularly on the northside of Plano). If you want to go crazy, buy in my neighborhood in Plano (Russell Creek Park area). Skaggs Elementary, right next to the park, is 71% Asian (mostly Indian, Chinese, and Vietnamese)! Its an amazing neighborhood that I would recommend to anyone.

However, if you want to be closer to that area, I would check out the schools that feed into Hebron High School in Carrollton. Hebron Elementary school is 41.6% Asian, 40% white, 12% Hispanic, and 7% black. That area is also a very short drive from the area of Lewisville that your wife would be working and within your budget. That area would be at the very top of my list if I were working in Lewisville.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM

20 posts, read 41,829 times
Thanks for the responses....we'll be moving from Central Ohio.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 PM

301 posts, read 571,133 times
I responded to your thread in the Dallas area thread but wanted to say that a Plano to Lewisville commute would not be fun. Especially when there are good places to live closer to Vista Ridge area.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 AM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
I responded to your thread in the Dallas area thread but wanted to say that a Plano to Lewisville commute would not be fun. Especially when there are good places to live closer to Vista Ridge area.
Agree 100%...

Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM

173 posts, read 402,151 times
I used to live in Ohio, once in a small town and once around Columbus. Dallas is going to be very different but you know that already. It is a much more international and multicultural city. It is also much more liberal than most of Ohio. As you move out away from the city, into the suburbs closer to where you will be, it becomes more conservative, but not excessively. So either way, you will be okay.

I love living in Texas compared to Ohio, what an eye opener. Except for the extreme heat, Texas is great in many ways.

I also agree with the other posters about Plano, etc too far of a commute. Carrollton is a great choice, right near Lewisville and withing your budget. Hebron is perfect. It is a rated 10 school, the best and here are the demographics. Though no matter where you go, I doubt your child would be one of few Vietnamese kids, unless you went really inner city/Southside.

EthnicityThis School, vs State Average
Asian/Pacific Islander42% 4%
White, not Hispanic40% 34%
Hispanic11% 48%
Black, not Hispanic7% 14%
American Indian/Alaskan Native<1% <1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas