Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It is hard for anyone to believe you about Texas when the Texas landscape is so diverse.

Are you basing your experiences of Texas solely on your experiences in Waco?? cause that would be silly. Are you comparing Waco to places like LA and Seattle??? Is that what you are doing???
As I said earlier, I've been all over Texas, covered it for work over about eight years plus all my parent's families were born and raised there. We left when I was five but went back all the time obviously. I didn't put this post here, someone else did from the CA forum. So it's not like I came to the Texas forum to insult your state. I stand by my opinion but it is not my intention to be rude. I'm sure you would not like Seattle. In fact, if you want to spread the word that Seattle is awful, that would be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM

388 posts, read 849,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Nice rebuttle!

I would to add FT Davis Mountains and Big Bend.

Wow, that is beautiful, I was fully unaware Texas had such landscape! Where would I find that? Interesting because the only thing I had really been acquiescing on in the other thread was the fact that CA had mountains and TX did not.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 PM

SVTRay, You're right! Texas is fantastic. I encourage everyone to move there!

I grew up next to the Rockies, lived by the Sierras and now live by the Cascades. One's idea of hill country may be relative.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
I am a 3rd generation Texan. Went to college in LA and I did enjoy the excitement of the big city and the beaches and my wife is a 4th generation Californian. But neither one of us have a desire to live there again. Too many people, too many regulations, too high taxes. When we have driven out there, we seem to get a few 3 finger salutes as well when they see our Texas plates. Sorry, but you can keep the place to yourselves.

P.S. Great pics, SVTRay!!!

Last edited by Rogarven; 08-13-2011 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-13-2011, 08:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm sure you would not like Seattle. In fact, if you want to spread the word that Seattle is awful, that would be fantastic.
I have been to Seattle multiple times and liked it each time, why would you think I would not like it.

I am not one of those silly people who expect the place they are visiting to be like where they live.
There are very few places I have been to that I did not like.

I can only think of two places.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have been to Seattle multiple times and liked it each time, why would you think I would not like it.

I am not one of those silly people who expect the place they are visiting to be like where they live.
There are very few places I have been to that I did not like.

I can only think of two places.
Well there you go! My post was written to someone looking for the opposite of Seattle. And I think Texas is the opposite.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well there you go! My post was written to someone looking for the opposite of Seattle. And I think Texas is the opposite.
I still think you are comparing Seattle to Waco. How can you compare a whole state (the second biggest state) to a city? and not even one of the big ones????

how on earth is Texas opposite of anywhere when the state is large to have any uniformity.

The landscapes and cultures changes just within Houston let alone the entire state.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM

388 posts, read 849,328 times
I must say, it is extremely refreshing to see the Texas point of view after days in the CA forum...

Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 PM

563 posts, read 910,480 times
I think people hate Texas for the same reason most of the country hates the New England Patriots... Because Texas WINS all the time and people from other states are just tired of hearing about us. Top ten lists, best economy lists, most friendliest places to live list, and so on.

I think the real reason CALIFORNIA hates Texas is because we do the exact opposite of everything they do politically (i.e., what burns them to the core), and guess what.... WE THRIVE DOING IT!!!

Last edited by MobileDave; 08-13-2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
I don't think half of the people who bash Texas have ever been here. I'm not saying Texas never deserves to be bashed. Every state deserves a good bashing from time to time, but it gets silly when people say things that are just flat out untrue.

This may come as an amazing revelation to outsiders, but we're not all a bunch of confederate flag waving rednecks who're waiting for the South to rise again and always vote Republican. Texas is a minority/majority state. You'd think that fact would give some people a clue.

Where I live it's very green with a few low-lying hills here and there. No deserts or barren wastelands to be found. We even have these wooden things coming up from the ground called, I believe, trees! And as horrible as the weather is six months out of the year, our winter and fall seasons are very pleasant. Add to that the relatively cheap cost of living here, and it's not the god forsaken hell hole some people make it out to be.

Having said that, I don't think it's the greatest place in the world either. I'd love to retire somewhere in Northern California or Oregon when I'm older. Sad to hear I may face hostilities if/when that does happen. I'm sure wearing my Cowboys jersey would be a lot of fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas