Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 AM

46 posts, read 75,360 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm back again to raise this concern. I had started a thread back in 3/2011 about this same issue

Why is it legal or even sane to allow bicycles on roads without shoulders?
Some of the hill country roads NW of San Antonio (Hwy 337 for example) are hilly, twisty/turny roads where 70 MPH is common.

How can forcing a car or truck into the oncoming lane (often no-pass, double yellow stripe) be allowed? It puts the driver at risk, the bicyclist at risk and oncoming traffic at risk.

They cant go the speed limit, but "supposedly" they are to follow the same rules as motorized vehicles....

I had to pass a dozen or so this past Saturday in a mile stretch of a 15 mile journey down Hwy. 337 from Leakey towards Camp Wood. Half of them were obviously not experienced older riders, huffing and puffing, weaving back and forth trying to make it up a hill.

I just don't get it, it's a trajedy waiting to happen. Is the small amount of commerce these bikers bring to small towns really worth the danger it puts us all in? AND, I don't see riding on our public roadways as a right.

If you can't keep it off the road, you are a traffic hazard plain and simple. Who can I/we complain to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXSATX View Post
Well, I'm back again to raise this concern. I had started a thread back in 3/2011 about this same issue

Why is it legal or even sane to allow bicycles on roads without shoulders?
Some of the hill country roads NW of San Antonio (Hwy 337 for example) are hilly, twisty/turny roads where 70 MPH is common.

How can forcing a car or truck into the oncoming lane (often no-pass, double yellow stripe) be allowed? It puts the driver at risk, the bicyclist at risk and oncoming traffic at risk.

They cant go the speed limit, but "supposedly" they are to follow the same rules as motorized vehicles....

I had to pass a dozen or so this past Saturday in a mile stretch of a 15 mile journey down Hwy. 337 from Leakey towards Camp Wood. Half of them were obviously not experienced older riders, huffing and puffing, weaving back and forth trying to make it up a hill.

I just don't get it, it's a trajedy waiting to happen. Is the small amount of commerce these bikers bring to small towns really worth the danger it puts us all in? AND, I don't see riding on our public roadways as a right.

If you can't keep it off the road, you are a traffic hazard plain and simple. Who can I/we complain to?
While I agree that this share-the-road business with bicycles is a bad idea and potentially dangerous for all involved, I'm not so sure you're exactly in the right here either. If the roads are so "twisty/turny" that you can't see what's coming ahead of you in time to stop, then maybe 70MPH isn't a speed you need to be going on them. And nobody is forcing anyone to pass on a double-yellow. You can follow the bicyclist until it is safe to pass them just like you would for any other slow-moving vehicle. You can complain to whoever you want to but they're going to have a hard time taking seriously the suggestions of someone who makes such poor traffic decisions themselves.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
This was debated to death in the earlier thread by this same OP.

Moderator needs to combine this with the older thread rather than begin the debate anew!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
While I agree that this share-the-road business with bicycles is a bad idea and potentially dangerous for all involved, I'm not so sure you're exactly in the right here either. If the roads are so "twisty/turny" that you can't see what's coming ahead of you in time to stop, then maybe 70MPH isn't a speed you need to be going on them. And nobody is forcing anyone to pass on a double-yellow. You can follow the bicyclist until it is safe to pass them just like you would for any other slow-moving vehicle. You can complain to whoever you want to but they're going to have a hard time taking seriously the suggestions of someone who makes such poor traffic decisions themselves.

I guess you have never traveled these roads. Should I really have to wait until I get to a straight stretch of road before I can pass? That could take a looong time considering the speed at which they travel. It's almost 15 miles of no-pass.

Sorry, but I haven't made any bad desicions. Good try though.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
This was debated to death in the earlier thread by this same OP.

Moderator needs to combine this with the older thread rather than begin the debate anew!

Maybe people need to be made aware. Again.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM

If you are in favor of this dangerous behaviour, give me one good reason why they should be on the roadway. Skateboarders cant do it, minibikes cant do it, gramma Jean and her Hoverround cant do it.

Why them?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
Quote:
Maybe people need to be made aware. Again.
IMHO, it would have been much better if YOU had added to the former thread rather than beginning anew!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 AM

679 posts, read 1,803,300 times
Cyclists should not be riding more than two abreast, I'm not sure if that was your particular situation. (Ask my how I know this -- got pulled over in a group ride a few weeks ago -- cop had the law wrong!) And certainly if they are riding erratically, well, that's not good!

I would also like to say that Hal is correct in the way to deal with passing a biker. You follow the cyclist until you get to a passing area. I have cars do that to me ALL the time. When I can see ahead that no one is coming, I will often wave them by. But please remember, a no passing zone is a no passing zone!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Cyclists should not be riding more than two abreast, I'm not sure if that was your particular situation. (Ask my how I know this -- got pulled over in a group ride a few weeks ago -- cop had the law wrong!) And certainly if they are riding erratically, well, that's not good!

I would also like to say that Hal is correct in the way to deal with passing a biker. You follow the cyclist until you get to a passing area. I have cars do that to me ALL the time. When I can see ahead that no one is coming, I will often wave them by. But please remember, a no passing zone is a no passing zone!

You do realize I said there were 12 of them covering a mile of road right? Look up Hwy 337 West of leakey on a map and tell me how many straight areas for passing you see....

Here's a link, go West.
leakey texas - Google Maps

Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,337 times
Quote:
I guess you have never traveled these roads. Should I really have to wait until I get to a straight stretch of road before I can pass? That could take a looong time considering the speed at which they travel. It's almost 15 miles of no-pass.

Sorry, but I haven't made any bad desicions. Good try though.
If you're passing someone when it's unsafe to do so, then you are making a bad decision whether you want to admit it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas