Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 100,399 times

Advertisements

I have driven to the Vegas area from Los Angeles, to the Grand Canyon, across the panhandle (Amarillo) and then further east,, so the NM, NV, AZ route I took is goign to be similar to the route you'll take. It's not Australia, It's the US. Things can get farther apart than in the UK for sure but you'll never be too far from gas or food or other travelers/patrols etc.

If you want a really fun time, fly to Los Angeles in July and drive to Vegas through the East California Desert. The highway sign that warns you that you're entering the desert has a giant skull and crossbones on it. It's 112 degrees in the day hours and the route is a climb for many many miles so you can't run the AC or you'll overheat the engine. My sister and I pulled a trailer up that desert highway mid day on the back of her jeep wrangler. She was ready to pass out from the heat. I had been to Afghanistan so I took the wheel and got us to NV where a nice cold Carl's Jr. greeted us as an Oasis lol.

Your trip should NOT be as intense, but if you are from the UK, I'd say you'll definitely have a great adventure to go on by driving instead of flying. The landscapes are something to see if you've never seen them before. I spent a few weeks in AZ in the Army and I could see living there despite the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 AM

6 posts, read 42,210 times
I have to admit the last time we took a road trip we did have a 'moments' anxiety due in no small part to my own stupidity. Whilst acting as navigator, heading to Yosemite from Vegas in a convertible, I took us off the main highway to cross over to what appeared to be a parrallel road. Seemed like a good idea at the time !!
Some time later, low on fuel, with no spare water, no towns/houses around but plenty of signs telling us there were bears(!) - it seemed like a much less attractive proposition. I don't think it helped that my daughter had just made me sit and watch Wolf Creek with her !!!!!
This time we'll be renting a 4x4 (husband's insistence!) but as a lover of horses I would definitely like to stay on a working ranch for a couple of days. Does anyone have any ideas if this is possible, or could point me in the right direction of some websites?
Thank you again for all your posts - if anyone's planning to visit our country, or Ireland - where I work 3 days a week, I'll be happy to reciprocate

Old 01-08-2012, 11:58 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Peej...those are called dude ranches or guest ranches.

Here's one in the Texas Panhandle:

Bar H Working Dude Ranch

Coincidentally during her college days, Mrs.ScoPro worked one summer at a central Texas dude ranch called the 7A Ranch near Wimberley back about 1965.
She waited tables in the dining hall, worked in the office as a clerk, and was a can-can dancer in the saloon. lol

Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Boredom.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej12 View Post

We're travelling in September, initially flying into Chicago for a few days then taking the Texas Eagle to Dallas - hoping to enjoy some of your famous Texan hospitality, steaks to die for, line dancing, ranches etc.
I think you might have the wrong impression of Dallas. There isn't much old west about it. It's a thriving modern metropolis but there really isn't alot for a tourist to do except see where Kennedy was assassinated. Frankly you might want to stay on the Texas eagle and head down to San Antonio. It's a much more tourist oriented town. Home of the Alamo and river walk along with steakhouses and honky tonks. It also has a small compact downtown area that is easily walkable.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 42,210 times
Thanks ..... ever so for your advice and help Scopro.
Not sure why some people have to make negative comments though .... it's a bit sad really.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
You shouldn't have any problems in September, no matter which route you take. Your only concern would be weather and that won't be extreme then.

Just relax and enjoy the trip. You're in no danger of being caught out in the middle of nowhere. It's really not the Wild West out here anymore.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I think you might have the wrong impression of Dallas. There isn't much old west about it. It's a thriving modern metropolis but there really isn't alot for a tourist to do except see where Kennedy was assassinated. Frankly you might want to stay on the Texas eagle and head down to San Antonio. It's a much more tourist oriented town. Home of the Alamo and river walk along with steakhouses and honky tonks. It also has a small compact downtown area that is easily walkable.
You are correct about Dallas. It is a modern North American metropolis with gleaming shiny skyscrapers and women driving aroundin Range Rovers sipping lattes.

Fort Worth (30 minutes west of Dallas), however, is more or less like a country/western town and lives up to the Texas stereotypes.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 AM

135 posts, read 310,647 times
Make sure you stop at Palo Duro Canyon, just south of Amarillo. It is the Grand Canyon of Texas. If you come through between June and August, you can see the play "Texas," performed at the amphitheater in the canyon. It is a wonderful production. Also, if you are along I-40, about a mile west of Amarillo, you can stop and see the world famous Cadillac Ranch on the south side of I-40. Otherwise, I think you'll be safe on your trip.

Have a great time.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Hope some of these comments have not scared you off--
If you are using Dallas as a jumping off point because you are flying in from UK then consider the fact that DFW airport also offers the oppertunity to fly to other sites closer to LV and only drive part of the trip
that area of the US from DFW to LV is really some of the least attractive parts of America
and I have driven almost all of it at one time or another even if not in one sustained trip

regarding some of the other suggestions--
the freeway from DFW to OKC--Oklahoma City I find to be very rough/bumpy with the type of surface that makes for whining tires--very tiresome to drive on for long hours--makes listening to music difficult even

Fort Worth does have more of the Western feel to it with the historical Stockyards area and it has some acclaimed museums -- especially the Amon Carter museum which features lot of art from American West

San Antonio is 4 hour drive south and if you go through Stephenville and the Highland Lakes vs I-35 you see more landscape vs just developed stripmalls by the freeway...
there is a great deal of TX history in San Antonio...the Riverwalk is fairly unique if commercial...and you can drive into Kerrville--about an hour west--and see a more natural landscape

WHY if you don't mind saying are you wanting to make this drive anyway?
What do you hope to come away with?
Because along that route there is far more bland, repetative territory than memorable vistas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas