Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Texas is neither. It is northern Mexico.
Uh huh....LOL!!!

If I were there, I'd get you for that remark, LOL!!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
And can you really say that people from west Texas don't have more in common, idiom and accent wise, with folks from Mississipi than they do with those in Kansas and/or Colorado?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. NO. West Texas is NOTHING like MS. NOTHING. Kansas, I can't say, as I've never been to the state.....and I have never heard anyone from Kansas speak that I was aware. WTX may have idioms in common with MS and the rest of the south, but in terms of accent, very little.

SW Colorado....they have (from my experience) more of a precise, clipped accent with less of a drawl than WT. But it is not a Southern accent at all, to my ear.

I think it really boils down to what it sounds like to the individual. To my ear, WT sounds nothing like what we think of as typical "southern" accents.

By typical southern, I am referring to LA, MS, AL, GA, TN....and again, Texas (other than the extreme eastern part) is not included in that region.

I am sure that what you stirred up was exactly what you intended...you evil person....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy, Cathy Cathy! At LEAST you seem to have a good sense of humor! LOL

BUT...I KNOW what you are referring to. My point is, that all of those states have varying accents too. And that the west Texas twang is very akin to that spoken in eastern Tennesse. And neither sound like the soft lilting drawl of Suvanah, Georgia. YET...there is SOMTHING, linguistically speaking, that bonds Texans and Virginians, South Carolinians, and Mississpians.

I am not sure WHAT it is, but dammed if I don't know it when I hear it. Perhaps it is the idiom. Y'all. Fixin' too, Out Yonder or over yonder. It is SOMTHING, that makes Texans understand Alabamans more than they (we) do Kansans or Ohioians.

Now quit giving me a hard time, dad gummit! (I hope you know I am kiddin")

Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
yeppers..it sure is interesting that Texas has different "accents" in different regions of the state.
i have had two out of town patients who IMMEDIATELY knew i was, first of all, NOT from South Texas, and could actually guess that I was from the Wichita Falls/Ft Worth North Texas area! i was amazed.
today folks in line at the hospital cafeteria laughed at me when i asked for some of them "smashed taters" lol............gawd.......i feel like i stick out like a green thumb 'round here! cant wait to move!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:50 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
I think that Cathy (woman with a wonderful sense of humor!) maybe doesn't realize that Texas, even WTX, is just a variation on the "Southern accent" which encompasses all of the South and that the Texas accent is due to historic settlement by Southerners even as far as West Texas. When she mentions, LA, GA, AL, TN, etc., they all have their own various versions of the Southern accent of which Texan is just one of them. I've known Texans from every part of the state and they all have their own variation of the "Southern" accent. Except maybe El Paso. I've known people from there, too, and like most of us probably would agree, El Paso is on its own, lol!

And living in the DFW area, I know people here from all over the country including from all over the South and every Southern state has it's own accent. I've always heard outsiders call a Texan's accent Southern. Cathy, I'd love to hear you speak, I'd bet that you DO have a Southern variation of an accent going on!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
I lived in North Carolina and they generally do not consider Texas *The South*

They seem to think the South doesn't go west of the Mississippi.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
Well, it sure looks south to me.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I lived in North Carolina and they generally do not consider Texas *The South*
JFRE, I've got some distant cousins in Mississippi, and we rag back and forth with each other on this topic. Hell, you are right. To some of the "Deep South" purists, the South stops at the Mississippi River.

Again (I think I wrote this on another thread), all I can say is, I sure wish all them Texas boys knew they weren't Southern before they went off to do all that good fightin'! LOL

Anyway, my good friend BlueSkies hit it right on when she speaks on that the accent common in West Texas is very much one of many sub-varieties of what is broadly known as Southern American speech.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
My feeling is that east of Dallas, it's part of the Old South. Far West (or "Trans-Pecos") Texas is Southwestern, being due south of New mexico. The part of Texas between these two is, well, just Texan, sui generis. South Texas is almost a part of Mexico in population and culture.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:45 AM

292 posts, read 725,621 times
Post El Paso accent, etc

After spending alot of time in this area, its accent is more like that of Albuquerque than anything else I know of. It's basically a "normal" accent in the sense that many of them don't have a twang, but more of a quintessential american accent that many people wouldn't think would stand out. This is of course varies a little bit since it has a strong Mexican influence and many people have a hispanic type accent if they're first or second generation immigrants.

In my opinion El Paso is type of area where it has been rejected in a de facto fashion by many americans because it seems to resemble Mexico more than the USA...granted it's the border.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Cathy, Cathy Cathy! At LEAST you seem to have a good sense of humor! LOL

BUT...I KNOW what you are referring to. My point is, that all of those states have varying accents too. And that the west Texas twang is very akin to that spoken in eastern Tennesse. And neither sound like the soft lilting drawl of Suvanah, Georgia. YET...there is SOMTHING, linguistically speaking, that bonds Texans and Virginians, South Carolinians, and Mississpians.

I am not sure WHAT it is, but dammed if I don't know it when I hear it. Perhaps it is the idiom. Y'all. Fixin' too, Out Yonder or over yonder. It is SOMTHING, that makes Texans understand Alabamans more than they (we) do Kansans or Ohioians.

Now quit giving me a hard time, dad gummit! (I hope you know I am kiddin")

LOL!! I plead guilty to y'all, fixing to, etc.

I actually have a much easier time understanding a Midwestern (MO, OH, IN, IL) accent (or lack thereof, if you think about it) than I do a deep south one, from whatever region. VA was much easier to understand than either MS or LA....and I don't even know why. I lived in MS for 6 months, and I still had to really listen closely at times to understand some people at the end of that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas