Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite destination in Texas?
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 41 26.97%
Dallas-Plano-Irving 22 14.47%
Fort Worth-Arlington 9 5.92%
San Antonio-New Braunfels 29 19.08%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos 27 17.76%
El Paso 2 1.32%
Corpus Christi 3 1.97%
Beaumont-Port Arthur 1 0.66%
Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood 0 0%
Brownsville-Harlingen 0 0%
Lubbock 1 0.66%
Amarillo 2 1.32%
College Station-Bryan 1 0.66%
Waco 2 1.32%
Longview 0 0%
Tyler 2 1.32%
Laredo 1 0.66%
Abilene 1 0.66%
Midland 0 0%
Odessa 0 0%
Wichita Falls 1 0.66%
Texarkana 1 0.66%
Victoria 0 0%
Sherman-Denison 0 0%
San Angelo 2 1.32%
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I've never considered Austin a "pretty" city, so I've never been persuaded by the arguments for it being the attractive Texas city. It has beautiful aspects to it, just like Dallas and Houston, but neither of the three are good looking places, in my opinion. Give me Houston's trees over Austin's hills any day.
Have you spent time in the spring in the Brazos Valley, Central texas area?? I think it is so pretty. Big Bend area is enchanting too. And the Hill Country east of SA is pretty too. Austin?? Nothing much to shout about. Way overrated as usual.

http://web.trinity.edu/Images/lostmapleslake.jpg

http://parentclub.ganzworld.com/wp-c...ll-390x259.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Have you spent time in the spring in the Brazos Valley, Central texas area?? I think it is so pretty. Big Bend area is enchanting too. And the Hill Country east of SA is pretty too. Austin?? Nothing much to shout about. Way overrated as usual.

I've visited the Hill Country more times than I can count, and it is beautiful, but not as impressive to someone, like me, who's more partial to very lush forestry than rugged terrain. Not to mention that I got rather spoiled, living in Atlanta, where you get the best of both worlds.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:

There is no Hill Country east of SA, in fact none of Bexar County is considered Hill Country. Again, you would do well to check your facts before posting. But yeah, Lost Maples Natural Area, Hamilton Pool Reserve, etc. are all great places in the Hill Country, most HC destinations are easily accessible from Austin.

The mildly amusing thing is hearing a dig at Austin's natural beauty from someone in Houston. I moved back to TX from Colorado so I get that Austin's not the prettiest place in the world, but compared to Houston? Boy. There's a reason that the general consensus around the US is Austin is much prettier than Houston, and it's not because of some fictional marketing campaign out of Austin. But you did already say that natural prettiness, fitness, and outdoor activities don't matter to you so I can see why you'd still prefer Houston.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
There is no Hill Country east of SA, in fact none of Bexar County is considered Hill Country. Again, you would do well to check your facts before posting. But yeah, Lost Maples Natural Area, Hamilton Pool Reserve, etc. are all great places in the Hill Country, most HC destinations are easily accessible from Austin.

The mildly amusing thing is hearing a dig at Austin's natural beauty from someone in Houston. I moved back to TX from Colorado so I get that Austin's not the prettiest place in the world, but compared to Houston? Boy. There's a reason that the general consensus around the US is Austin is much prettier than Houston, and it's not because of some fictional marketing campaign out of Austin. But you did already say that natural prettiness, fitness, and outdoor activities don't matter to you so I can see why you'd still prefer Houston.
So being from Houston means we wouldn't know real beauty? I can't speak for Htown, but I've already stated that I'd rather have Houston's trees. Austin is a nicer looking city, but "far prettier" is an exaggeration if I've ever heard one. "Far prettier" is Seattle and Pittsburgh, and Austin is much closer to Houston, when you throw those cities in the mix.

And the general US population reached the consensus that Austin is much prettier? I'd like to see some evidence of this.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
There is no Hill Country east of SA
meant west. and no dig on Austin, its just overrated as usual

Old 01-26-2012, 01:19 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Quote:
none of Bexar County is considered Hill Country.
Not that it's a big thing, but as far as I know, the Hill Country begins at the Balcones Escarpment, which runs through North Bexar County. According to majormadmax, this scene is near Helotes, in Bexar County (I've seen similar views nearby on Bandera Road/ Texas 16):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/19573867-post3.html

Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Houston is awesome. Great culture, great architecture, great atmosphere, and most of all great city!

Its the closest thing we have to a real urban area in TX.
Agreed. Houston has an awesome downtown skyline. When I was very young, I though the Humble Building was a tall parking garage because of its slats around the building.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
meant west. and no dig on Austin, its just overrated as usual
Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Not that it's a big thing, but as far as I know, the Hill Country begins at the Balcones Escarpment, which runs through North Bexar County. According to majormadmax, this scene is near Helotes, in Bexar County (I've seen similar views nearby on Bandera Road/ Texas 16):

I was going by Texas Parks Dept, which doesn't include any part of SA/Bexar in the Hill Country region but for all intents and purposes, yeah, I guess it reaches the Helotes/NW edge of San Antonio outlined in that linnk. That pic is beautiful!

TPWD: Hill Country Travel Region

Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Ok was kinda sleepy when I first replied. first of All I meants west of SA and a lot of SA is in the Hill Country. Parts of Bexar, plus Bandera, Comal, and Kendall counties are part of the SA metro and are IN the Hill country.

Secondly Bandera in particular was one of the areas I meant by West of SA and it is actually IN the SA MSA. Lost Maples is IN Bandera County IN SA MSA so again don't tell me check my facts when you don't know what you are talking about. Like I said yesterday you may want to take a seat and Wag more and cut that incessant barking.

Thirdly, I was born in a lush tropical island. I lived in the Virgin Islands, I have visited South America, Back packed threw Switzerland, France, Austria and Germany. Your stupid insult about me being from Houston disqualifies me from judging Austin is stupid and typical Austitude. You do not know where I am from and don't know where I have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post

Austin people seem to think the Hill COuntry is just the few areas around Austin. They fail to realize that the bulk of the hill COuntry is outside the Austin MSA.

From Wiki:

Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Ok was kinda sleepy when I first replied. first of All I meants west of SA and a lot of SA is in the Hill Country. Parts of Bexar, plus Bandera, Comal, and Kendall counties are part of the SA metro and are IN the Hill country.

Secondly Bandera in particular was one of the areas I meant by West of SA and it is actually IN the SA MSA. Lost Maples is IN Bandera County IN SA MSA so again don't tell me check my facts when you don't know what you are talking about. Like I said yesterday you may want to take a seat and Wag more and cut that incessant barking.

Thirdly, I was born in a lush tropical island. I lived in the Virgin Islands, I have visited South America, Back packed threw Switzerland, France, Austria and Germany. Your stupid insult about me being from Houston disqualifies me from judging Austin is stupid and typical Austitude. You do not know where I am from and don't know where I have been.

Austin people seem to think the Hill COuntry is just the few areas around Austin. They fail to realize that the bulk of the hill COuntry is outside the Austin MSA.

From Wiki:
You said "east", which is why I corrected you, just like I did when you made an ignorant remark about Texas BBQ. Refer to the official Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept, which classifies Austin under HC but not SA. This is what I'm going by. I only said anything because you first wrote east. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f.../hill_country/

I said coming from someone in Houston, not that you were from Houston. You are currently there, right? All I'm saying is that I found it amusing that someone in Houston, a comparatively unattractive city in my opinion, is making passive aggressive remarks about Austin's prettiness like "it's overrated as usual".

I do not think I made a personal attack on you, but you clearly are by continuing to tell me to "sit down" and "cut that incessant barking". Nice. It's irritating that no one can say Austin is better, from the perspective of someone who's lived in both places, without cries of Austitude from you. I find you insufferable and I'm done with this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas