Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 PM

43 posts, read 122,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Tie between Lufkin and Nacogdoches (East Texas)...
I realize I'm biased but worst small towns in Texas? Both cities pushing 40,000 with a university, a large juco, shopping, nice neighborhoods, above average schools, a zoo, dozens of restaurants, etc. I hate to disparage other cities but have you ever been to Alto, Center, Rusk, Newton, Jasper, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 PM

43 posts, read 93,648 times
I have personally heard that Jasper, Tx is quite racist. The problem cities will either be on the east side of Texas or the border cities for different reasons.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,736,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I've lived in various parts of Texas since 1957 and I have a few "not good" places to live or visit:
Andrews and Lamesa in west Texas, Port Lavaca on the coast, Denison on the Ok border, Henderson in east Texas just to name a few. Although El Paso isn't small, it's not safe, especially on the freeways close to the Mexican border (bandits with guns have been known to stop traffic at night). In regards to a couple of comments at being stared at while eating in a small town... doesn't matter what color you are... if you are a stranger, they stare at you... doesn't matter what part of the state.
El Paso was ranked #1 as the safest city in America in 2010. It still ranks in the top for safety. The trouble is on the other side of the border and the law enforcement will keep it that way.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:17 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Sometimes personal experiences, watching the news, reading the newspapers, etc. count and people don't always get their info from a specific "source". But since you are demanding a "source", here is one (of several I found) which wasn't hard to find at all:

In brief: West Side robberies just 13 minutes apart - El Paso Times
I was referring to the previous poster's comment about people in EP being stopped by "bandits" at traffic lights. I've never even heard of such an incident occurring in EP..

These are isolated incidents and are not indicative of anything. Convenience store robberies are seen in every large city in America.

I'd estimate 9 out of 10 EP residents will tell you they feel safe living here. Driving? Now that's a separate issue..

Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,842 times
Tyler is the most depressing small city to me.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,620,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Tyler is the most depressing small city to me.
I've been pretty much all over the state, and I feel completely different. It's just about the nicest, most upbeat, and overall friendliest city of it's size with tons of stuff to do, good shopping, restaurants, etc.. I can name MANY cities of this size that seem pretty truly depressing. Tyler just isn't among them.

So why do you feel this way?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM

490 posts, read 650,764 times
My vote would go to Lamesa, south of Lubbock. I spent 2 days there on business last year and it's just a run down little town with vacant or repair needed buildings and homes. It was hot and ALWAYS windy with dust and tumbleweeds. I expected Henry Fonda and the rest of the cast from The Grapes Of Wrath to be filming at every corner I turned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I've been pretty much all over the state, and I feel completely different. It's just about the nicest, most upbeat, and overall friendliest city of it's size with tons of stuff to do, good shopping, restaurants, etc.. I can name MANY cities of this size that seem pretty truly depressing. Tyler just isn't among them.

So why do you feel this way?
Why should I explan?
Tyler is small and aslo it is dead after 10:00 p.m. and that really sums it up.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 PM

816 posts, read 1,948,481 times
Quote:
Why should I explan?
Dead after 10 p.m.? Lufkin aka your favorite town ever is dead after 8 p.m. with the exception of U.S. 59. Hahaha

How is Tyler small? Lufkin is super small. You even said North Street in Nacogdoches is so congested and easily comparable to Broadway which is a blatant lie. Don't get me wrong, I like Lufkin a lot but I couldn't live there.

You don't even know what you're talking about.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,620,287 times
Quote:
Why should I explan?
Better just to trash a town and never say why, right?

Tyler is not that small, but if you think it is, then I guess it's too small for YOU. Dead after 10 p.m.? Fine with me. Not everyone wants to be partying at night. You just brought too GOOD points, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas