Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post

Dallas has more enteprenuers who have made a fortune and more billionaires than Houston I believe. Houston has more upper middle class, high net worth individuals as a result of the high paying oil related jobs in Houston that out number Dallas around 15-20 to 1. These are white collar global energy jobs in Houston not blue collar ones.. they also are global which is where the larger number of consultates in Houston arise from as well as the large number of flights to energy related markets globally. Dallas's and DFW's energy business is North American Geography and land based. Houston's is deep water as well as much more global.
Not really. Houston has a lot more Millionaires.

Houston has 96,700 millionaires while DFW has over 60,000 millionaires

American Cities With The Most Millionaires: 24/7 Wall St.

In Terms of Billionaires Dallas has more, I think DFW has about 8 more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
In Pictures: Cities With The Most Billionaires - 11. Dallas (tie) - Forbes.com

There are 17 billionaires living in Dallas, and 8 living in Fort Worth.

I think Houston has 12.

Not that it really makes a difference to me for either millionaires or billionaires, being as I'm not one of them.

Wait a second....what does this have to do with the OP again????

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
The OP is looking to marry UP.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Ok, so here's my dilemma (a good one). I have received 2 job offers: one in Houston and another in Dallas-Ft.Worth. Is there anyone with experience living in either? Or both? This is a dilemma for me because they seem similar and have the same big positives. Am I wrong? I am considering Houston at this point, but could easily change my mind. I like that they both have affordable cost of living, great shopping, great options for food, and things to see and do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What do the two job offers look like? Not just salary, but benefits, the company atmosphere, stability, future employment in the field? Do you know anyone in either city? Not sure where you're coming from, but for the most part Houston and Dallas are similar enough, including cost of living, that you're going to have to scrutinize the actual job offers more and perhaps decide on that basis.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Not really. Houston has a lot more Millionaires.

Houston has 96,700 millionaires while DFW has over 60,000 millionaires

American Cities With The Most Millionaires: 24/7 Wall St.

In Terms of Billionaires Dallas has more, I think DFW has about 8 more
Exactly what I said.(high net worth means millionairs)..what does this have to do with the OP lol

Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Exactly what I said.(high net worth means millionairs)..what does this have to do with the OP lol
lol, you should be asking yourself, you bought it up. Dunno why.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Billionaires are not a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
In Pictures: Cities With The Most Billionaires - 11. Dallas (tie) - Forbes.com

There are 17 billionaires living in Dallas, and 8 living in Fort Worth.

I think Houston has 12.

Not that it really makes a difference to me for either millionaires or billionaires, being as I'm not one of them.

I am thinking that having more Billionaires is not necessarily a good thing. It just shows more dispairity between the rich and the poor. Look at the number 1 city for Billionaires Moscow. Moscow is full of Billionaires but Russia is a relatively poor country. Billionaires may generate venture capital but are usually looking out for the interest of themselves and have a tendancy to only want to create more disparity by nature.

If the amount of total resources does not increase and one person is accumulating a disproportionate share of resources then that must mean there is less for the remaining people. Now, this person may feel that they have earned these resources and therefore has no obligation to share them with the less fortunate IE. people in third worls countries. Of course there are exceptions like Bill Gates and a few others.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
I'd say go with whichever felt more comfortable. I had the same decision many years ago when I left college. I had lived in both previously. Ultimately I preferred Houston because it just felt like a more open, down-to-earth, get things done type of place.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:11 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I've lived in both. I love both. But if I had to choose, strictly on a "which city I liked best" kind of question, it would be Houston. Maybe that's because all my family is still in Dallas! At this point in my life if I had to choose, with the jobs being equal, I would probably pick Dallas, simply because my parents are there and in bad health.

I definitely like the weather in Houston better. The summer heat difference is really not very noticeable, but Houston has much better winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas