Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 PM

61 posts, read 142,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller427 View Post
blue...

i also think your wrong with this one...obama has really pissed off middle america...
correction...was a little sleepy...red!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Mostly the ones who have bought this fake "war on women" fear-mongering. Maybe there are enough out there who can think for themselves, get past that emotionally-charged issue and realize there are some much more major things at stake.
Major for whom?

Recently there have been moves against equal pay for women, toward changing legal terminology in cases of rape/domestic violence/stalking (which disproportionately affect women) from "victims" to "accusors," against reproductive rights, and against funding for health care for low income women.

As Lloyd Doggett said in Austin last week, it might not be a war, but it sure isn't a peace conference, either.

I can think for myself just fine, and I think your statement above is 100% wrong.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Major for whom?
EVERYONE. Especially young people today.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Mostly the ones who have bought this fake "war on women" fear-mongering.
Interesting. It's men calling this a fake, and women calling it a war on women. Do I really need to tell you how that will turn out?

And if you really look to see what has been happening, there has been a wholesale onslaught on women's health funding and women's reproductive rights and women's equal pay rights and sexual violence laws, hundreds and hundreds of such bills introduced, many passing into law, all over the country. By legislators dominated by men. Against the protests of women. And all spearheaded by extreme right organizations funded by conservative billionaires.

And women everywhere, yes, even in Texas, are saying "Hey, I can't believe we've got to go through all this s**t again!" Because none of these actions being taken to roll women's rights backward represent a majority view. They simply represent a band of extremists in positions of power overreaching their position. One fifth of the women in Texas get healthcare from Planned Parenthood. Do you think they're just going to forget the Perry administration drive to kill that organization? i don't think so.

And payback, as the saying goes, is a mofo.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And if you really look to see what has been happening, there has been a wholesale onslaught on women's health funding and women's reproductive rights and women's equal pay rights and sexual violence laws, hundreds and hundreds of such bills introduced, many passing into law, all over the country. By legislators dominated by men. Against the protests of women. And all spearheaded by extreme right organizations funded by conservative billionaires.
This is not a "war", but a few select events in a few select states. This is by no means a nationwide epidemic, but it is being blown up as such by some for political gain.

If the problem is men and them not understanding or relating, it seems having more women in congress and in political leadership would help with this. However, then you get torn to shreads by the media and others, portrayed as an airheaded idiot if your political views don't all fit in with extreme liberal ideals (eg Sarah Palin), so I could see why more moderate and conservative women may be deterred from public service. Instead, we have the Nancy Pelosi types lifted on a pedestal.

When I say not thinking for oneself, what I meant was getting pulled into this emotionally-charged topic of what's happened in only a few places with a few people, jumping to conclusions that it's somehow now an epidemic and Republican conspiracy. All while ignoring every other issue that will affect everyone and especially our children, such as the economy, the debt, spending, entitlements to other segments of the population, taxes, etc. Really think about it - many of these things happening in a few states would never pass muster on a national or federal basis, the outcry and backlash from women, even very conservative ones, would be too great. However, that is not the case with most of the other important issues I have mentioned.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
This is not a "war", but a few select events in a few select states. This is by no means a nationwide epidemic, but it is being blown up as such by some for political gain.
Look again. It's going on all over the place, in virtually every state, as well as at the federal level. ALEC authored bills have been introduced everywhere, and Rick Santorum pulled the Republican party onto the firing line with his outrageous fringe positions in the primary race.

And the reaction is very grassroots, very primal. Women who went through the original battles in the 70's, and their daughters, who have always enjoyed the freedoms that are now being so widely attacked and rolled back, are saying to each other "I can't believe we've got to go through all this s**t again!" Meanwhile Republicans are deluding themselves, like Jan Brewer in Arizona saying a majority of Americans do not support Planned Parenthood, when in fact a strong 66% do.

That does not translate to a big push for women to run for office that I can see. But it does translate to a growing push for women to remember all this in the November voting booths. And that's exactly what American women are saying to each other... "Remember in November."

And of course Ron Paul is very well positioned to split the conservative vote, so suddenly the unthinkable is not so unthinkable.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Lets keep the thread pertaining to Ron Paul and Texas or we'll move to P&OC forum.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 AM

Now that Ron Paul has suspended campaign activities in remaining states, what are y'all Ron Paul supporters in Texas going to do?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Now that Ron Paul has suspended campaign activities in remaining states, what are y'all Ron Paul supporters in Texas going to do?
Vote for Ron Paul in the primary, giving him influence in Precinct conventions and control the message from Texas going into a national convention.

Then vote for Romney in November. Tho', I'll be voting for Gary Johnson, as the electorals in Texas will be going to Romney anyway. Unless lightening strikes Ann Richards grave... or something.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Modern politics is a lost cause. Neither Ron Paul nor any other politician can help us at this point. In fact, the only thing that politicians these days are successful at is creating more problems.

Only "we the people" offer any hope for fixing problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas