Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 AM

133 posts, read 229,680 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Texas when my current lease ends in December. I would make the move in late November or eary December. I currently work as a healthcare finance consultant. I travel quite a bit but also work from home a few weeks out of the month as well. I currently live in Farmington Hills, Michigan which is 20 min from downtown Detroit. I have been here since last Dec. I was born and raised in Ohio. I am looking to move because I don't like the cold and want to live in a city with more excitment.

A few reasons why I am interested in Texas, is because of the warmer weather, love of high school football and low cost of living. I am in myMid 20s and am looking for an area with other young professionals. I am also looking for an area that has a wide range of opportunity for someone with an MBA in Healthcare Administration. I do not like the travel my job involves and would look for a job in the area.

My questions are what cities or areas should I research?

What are the average costs for a 1-2 bedroom apartments in a safe walkable area?

Any tips on looking for healthcare administration jobs?

My salary is in the upper $50s- low $60s range.

Any other tips would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 AM

392 posts, read 633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
I am considering a move to Texas when my current lease ends in December. I would make the move in late November or eary December. I currently work as a healthcare finance consultant. I travel quite a bit but also work from home a few weeks out of the month as well. I currently live in Farmington Hills, Michigan which is 20 min from downtown Detroit. I have been here since last Dec. I was born and raised in Ohio. I am looking to move because I don't like the cold and want to live in a city with more excitment.

A few reasons why I am interested in Texas, is because of the warmer weather, love of high school football and low cost of living. I am in myMid 20s and am looking for an area with other young professionals. I am also looking for an area that has a wide range of opportunity for someone with an MBA in Healthcare Administration. I do not like the travel my job involves and would look for a job in the area.

My questions are what cities or areas should I research?

What are the average costs for a 1-2 bedroom apartments in a safe walkable area?

Any tips on looking for healthcare administration jobs?

My salary is in the upper $50s- low $60s range.

Any other tips would be great.
Just as a generic bit of advice, I'd say, research the top four, Houston, Dallas-FW, San Antonio and Austin. For metros comparable in population to metro Detroit, DFW and Houston would qualify.

I don't know Detroit, other than by reputation, but if it does have urban problems, I think you'll find less of them in the Texas cities. And again, DFW and Houston look pretty exciting. Maybe Austin, if you're into it's unique politics and ideology. Life in the big Texas cities is stimulating, partly because they are prosperous, and getting more so. Money may not buy happiness, but it sure buys a whole lot of fun.

Last edited by savanite; 06-21-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Just as a generic bit of advice, I'd say, research the top four, Houston, Dallas-FW, San Antonio and Austin. For metros comparable in population to metro Detroit, DFW and Houston would qualify.

I don't know Detroit, other than by reputation, but if it does have urban problems, I think you'll find less of them in the Texas cities. And again, DFW and Houston look pretty exciting. Maybe Austin, if you're into it's unique politics and ideology. Life in the Texas cities is exciting, partly because they are prosperous, and getting more so. Money may not buy happiness, but it sure buys a whole lot of fun.

From the research I have done on Texas, Fort Worth seems like it could be a good fit. Is there an advantage of living in Dallas compared to Fort Worth or vice versa? Thanks

Old 06-21-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
From the research I have done on Texas, Fort Worth seems like it could be a good fit. Is there an advantage of living in Dallas compared to Fort Worth or vice versa? Thanks
In terms of opportunities, things to do, etc., the Dallas side of DFW is much more populous, has more going on.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
While Fort Worth has some great things going for it, I don't think anyone would ever use the words Fort Worth and excitement in the same sentence. Dallas would probably be a better fit for you, and it is only half an hour away from Fort Worth so you can visit there often if you wish.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
While Fort Worth has some great things going for it, I don't think anyone would ever use the words Fort Worth and excitement in the same sentence. Dallas would probably be a better fit for you, and it is only half an hour away from Fort Worth so you can visit there often if you wish.

How does Dallas compare to Austin or Houston?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
The easternmost edge of the Fort Worth boundary is about ten miles from the westernmost Dallas boundary.

Actually, municipal boundaries are meaningless. What would be more meaningful is the location of a specific neighborhood, in relation to the places you want to go to for work, shopping, entertainment, etc.

The DFW metro has several huge municipalities, not just one or two. In addition to Dallas And Fort Worth, Garland, Mesquite, Frisco, Plano, Irving, Denton, Carrollton, McKinney, Arlington, southlake, and possibly others, are all huge municipalities in the 100,000 plus range. The vast majority of the Dfw population lives outside of the Dallas or Fort Worth municipal boundaries.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 AM

308 posts, read 638,315 times
Quote:

I think you're on the right track with Fort Worth. There's a thriving medical district just south of downtown. A whole lot of young professionals living downtown and So7 areas. Both are completely walkable areas.

My daughter is about the same age and the same income range. She picked Fort Worth over Dallas and is loving it. FW is smaller but bigger isn't always better.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
I think you're on the right track with Fort Worth. There's a thriving medical district just south of downtown. A whole lot of young professionals living downtown and So7 areas. Both are completely walkable areas.

My daughter is about the same age and the same income range. She picked Fort Worth over Dallas and is loving it. FW is smaller but bigger isn't always better.
It doesn't matter where you live... all parts of DFW are accessible from any other part. That's why it is a unified metro area.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Can someone break down the the pros and cons of Dallas vs Houston?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas