Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Cyclists are becoming more of a problem than they have ever been. It seems that you have several individuals trying to force the bike culture on cities that just aren't set up for it. In compact areas where motorists generally don't exceed 30MPH, I don't see it as an issue. On major thoroughfares, cyclists have five times the responsibility as those in automobiles, IMHO.
Absolutely agreed, Nairobi.

Here in my hometown we have an annual event of bicycle riders, called the Hotter'n Hell 100. Hey fine, that's great. The PROBLEM comes in when lots of the participants -- who are not from Texas/South --come in to "practice the route" and, not understanding nor respecting our "traffic manners" start acting like they own the roads.

They breeze thru Stop Signs as if they don't apply to them. They will drive down the middle of the road and seemingly intentionally ignore how they are holding up everyone else. This is just NOT the way we do it in Texas. As a general rule, we "Drive Friendly" and expect the same courtesy. Unfortunately, many of these bicycle riders are the total opposite...and the biggest danger on the road.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-29-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,518 times
Vegan kris is right. Bikes arent larger/heavier than trucks. While they can do physical damage to trucks n cars, i have never heard of or seen a bicyclist kill anyone in an auto. Many of the real problems created by bicyclists occur because they want to ride in the street, on the sidewalk, and between cars in traffic. In austin there are bike lanes but cyclists still ride wherever they want. As a driver i expect to see cyclists in the street. I can react safely to them when i see them. Most of my problems with cyclists occur when i am changing lanes dtown and they are riding the line between lanes an cars to skip ahead to the light or they suddenly come off the sidewalk to enter traffic lanes unexpectedly. Not wise on their part.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:51 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
From the context of Driver's Education, Bikers ARE a source of danger. Just like in the same context, a loose ball rollling out onto the street is a source of danger, or a bus passenger who just got off the bus and darting out into the street is a source of danger. Defensive driving classes will tell you to use extra caution in those scenarios.
To argue a cyclist on the road is not a source of danger becuase they're lighter than cars is like saying large debris on the highway is not a danger becuase it's smaller than a car and not moving.
At least with the debris, loose ball, etc, they're in front of me and they don't have a brain. A biker is often in my blind spot or weaving in between cars, and they have a brain and should know better.

Last edited by houstonfan; 07-29-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
From the context of Driver's Education, Bikers ARE a source of danger. Just like in the same context, a loose ball rollling out onto the street is a source of danger, or a bus passenger who just got off the bus and darting out into the street is a source of danger. Defensive driving classes will tell you to use extra caution in those scenarios.
To argue a cyclist on the road is not a source of danger becuase they're lighter than cars is like saying large debris on the highway is not a danger becuase it's smaller than a car and not moving.
At least with the debris, loose ball, etc, they're in front of me. A biker is often in my blind spot or weaving in between cars.
PLUS 1, Houston! Very well said!

Old 07-29-2012, 02:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Absolutely agreed, Nairobi.

Here in my hometown we have an annual event of bicycle riders, called the Hotter'n Hell 100. Hey fine, that's great. The PROBLEM comes in when lots of the participants -- who are not from Texas/South --come in to "practice the route" and, not understanding nor respecting our "traffic manners" start acting like they own the roads.

They breeze thru Stop Signs as if they don't apply to them. They will drive down the middle of the road and seemingly intentionally ignore how they are holding up everyone else. This is just NOT the way we do it in Texas. As a general rule, we "Drive Friendly" and expect the same courtesy. Unfortunately, many of these bicycle riders are the total opposite...and the biggest danger on the road.
AMEN.

Most of them DO ride like they own the @#$! road, and everybody else can go to hell.

I've found this to be true in TX, NM and CO, especially highway 550 outside of Durango. There are those who are good riders, but they sure do seem to be in the minority.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Amen to the previous 5 posts. For every safe, law abiding cyclist I see, I also have to dodge 3 more or risk an accident. Houston is not set up for bicycles.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Cyclists are becoming more of a problem than they have ever been. It seems that you have several individuals trying to force the bike culture on cities that just aren't set up for it. In compact areas where motorists generally don't exceed 30MPH, I don't see it as an issue. On major thoroughfares, cyclists have five times the responsibility as those in automobiles, IMHO.
Exactly! Houston isn't set up for bikes and the bikers screw the drivers on the road. It's Houston's fault not the drivers.

For every few doing the right thing there's 50 who aren't and that's the problem. They just don't care. Lots of drivers are bad but for every 50 that are there's 200 that do drive right.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I've suggested it before, to howls of denial of it being at all reasonable from, you guessed it, cyclists, that there should be licensing for adult cyclists that includes an education component and a testing component to make sure that they really understand the rules of the road. I strongly suspect that a large part of the problem is the lack of such licensing which leads many people on bicycles to subconsciously think that there ARE no traffic rules for them and, just as when they were children on their bikes, it's the rest of the world's responsibility to take care of them.

Licensing would at least do something to disabuse them of this perception, and it would at least make sure that those who don't already know the traffic laws pertaining to them do know them, even if they choose to ignore them.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,886 times
The majority of responses to this thread are ridiculous, ignorant and not really worth my time to read. Let's be honest here, all the bitching and complaining about cyclists is really about the fact that Texas drivers don't want to be patient and wait the few extra seconds it takes to SAFELY pass a cyclist. Personally, I'm a very safe cyclist and because I spend so much time on my bike riding in Houston traffic, this makes me a much safer and aware driver. For one, as soon as I sit down in my car, the phone goes into my bag and stays there until I arrive at my destination. Cyclists will receive tickets for breaking traffic laws just like cars. In fact, I've seen a cop pull over a cyclist twice since I've lived in Houston. Whether you like it or not, cyclists can take the entire lane. In fact, it's safer if they do because when a car tries to squeeze by a cyclist hugging the curb it becomes very dangerous for the cyclist. I prefer to force a vehicle to pass me in the other lane.

It is insane to argue that bikes are more of a danger on the road than cars. You know the truth is people in their cars don't want to be slowed down even a little to keep things safe for everyone, cyclists and pedestrians included.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
The majority of responses to this thread are ridiculous, ignorant and not really worth my time to read.
But apparently you did...

Quote:
Let's be honest here, all the bitching and complaining about cyclists is really about the fact that Texas drivers don't want to be patient and wait the few extra seconds it takes to SAFELY pass a cyclist.
LOL No, no, no, dear, it really comes down to that Texas drivers -- and our highways and byways are some of the safest and best kept up in the nation -- don't want -- as some have said -- to be forced into providing for a "bicycle culture"...which is simply not very often compatible with our own driving culture. Which is Drive Friendly. Which, unfortunately, many outsider bicycle riders don't respect; either from total contempt or sheer ignorance. Either one makes them a danger.

On a related tangent, it is NOT up to Texas drivers to adapt to the "ways" of the "bike culture", but for them to adapt to us. Simple as that. I simply do NOT understand the way of thinking that leads to believe we Texans/Southerners must change to accomodate every one else.

Quote:
Personally, I'm a very safe cyclist and because I spend so much time on my bike riding in Houston traffic, this makes me a much safer and aware driver. For one, as soon as I sit down in my car, the phone goes into my bag and stays there until I arrive at my destination.
This is all to your credit. Preach it on to your fellow cyclists, and hopefully they will become more like you. And I mean that sincerely.

Quote:
Whether you like it or not, cyclists can take the entire lane. In fact, it's safer if they do because when a car tries to squeeze by a cyclist hugging the curb it becomes very dangerous for the cyclist. I prefer to force a vehicle to pass me in the other lane.
Now this right here (bolded part) is exactly the attitude I am talking about. Without looking up Texas traffic laws completely, let's for arguments sake say you are right.

You (in a third-person sense) use the nuances of the law to flip the bird at native Texas drivers who depend more upon custom and common sense in driving. For instance? Perhaps there really IS a law that disallows Texas drivers to drive on the shoulder of the road. (I would have to go back and look it up).

But you know what? It is just simple traditional Texas driving courtesy to ease over and let the other car pass. The passing driver waves in appreciation, and the former waves back. All good, all friendly, all Texan.

Unfortunately though, the culture you speak of seems to have no respect at all for any of this. In fact, almost seems to be amused by it...and think it so backward and provincial. Heck, almost like these people want to cycle with their rear ends stuck in everybody's face out of just pure spite...or arrogance. How cute!

Quote:
It is insane to argue that bikes are more of a danger on the road than cars. You know the truth is people in their cars don't want to be slowed down even a little to keep things safe for everyone, cyclists and pedestrians included.
You hard-core cyclists need to get a grip. No pun intended. Bottom line is, it is that "bunch" who have made the reputation they have, by their own flippant mannerisms. If they havent figured it out already, they don't have a lot of sympathy in Texas when it comes to the attitude expressed. If the shoe fits, wear it. Maybe it is time you all adapted, reckon?

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-30-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas