Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

22 posts, read 58,680 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking about retiring in Brownsville or the lower Rio Grande Valley. Research suggests that the cost of living, housing in particular, is very, very affordable; the climate is semi-tropical; beautiful beaches; and easy access to night life and shopping in Mexico.

However, according to some acquaintances who have retired there, the area is heavily Hispanic, very racist and Anglos are not generally welcomed there. Comments would be appreciated.

"Gracias"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
We are seriously thinking about retiring in Brownsville or the lower Rio Grande Valley. Research suggests that the cost of living, housing in particular, is very, very affordable; the climate is semi-tropical; beautiful beaches; and easy access to night life and shopping in Mexico.

However, according to some acquaintances who have retired there, the area is heavily Hispanic, very racist and Anglos are not generally welcomed there. Comments would be appreciated.

"Gracias"
Continue to give the idea 'serious thought'. Housing is cheaper and cost of living is lower, not because it's paradise but for a lack of commercial stimulation. You might google a search for 'Texas and snowbirds' to find some outside input.

The area is highly hispanic due to being a border area. And if you're paying attention to the news, there's plenty of violence going on just across that border, from Brownsville to San Diego (California). You might reconsider that idea of shopping in Mexico. In my younger days, I have visited several border towns but those days are gone and now much more dangerous. Being near retirement, you might recall 'Wolf Man Jack', from the radio. He began his career broadcasting from the Texas border at Del Rio.

Although the cost of living would be higher, you might take a look at the Corpus Christi area, a couple of hundred miles north.

Good luck, hang on here for other and hopefully better encouragement.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,958,125 times
The cost of living is quite affordable, however, Brownsville would not necessarily be my first choice.
The climate is semi-tropical (although last winter it did get below freezing), it is usually warm--yesterday the temps were in the 100 degree range.
The beaches and fishing are good, only crowded a few times a year and you will always be aware of when that would be.
Easy access to nightlife and shopping in Mexico--you're joking, right? Borderland Beat
"Heavily Hispanic". Is that a problem? Most areas along the border, and much of the southwest, is "heavily Hispanic". As an anglo, the only discrimination I have experienced is from rude, hateful anglo "Winter Texans", who, for whatever reason, seem to have an inflated opinion of themselves and a sense of entitlement.
Brownsville has its charms, but I would recommend you look into Harlingen (the "anglo-ist"), McAllen (more upscale), or Mission (chock-full of Winter Texans during the cooler months).
Just my opinion---hope to be of help!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Personally, if I had to live in the valley, I think Weslaco is the nicest town.

I go there pretty often, and I have never felt that I was treated badly because of being an Anglo, but then, I generally try to speak my barely fair Spanish first, which opens a lot of doors. Hispanics are very friendly and appreciative if they think that you accept them as neighbors and fellow countrymen and respect their sense of dignity. If you like them (they can tell), they will like you, and treat you accordingly.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM

22 posts, read 58,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Personally, if I had to live in the valley, I think Weslaco is the nicest town.

I go there pretty often, and I have never felt that I was treated badly because of being an Anglo, but then, I generally try to speak my barely fair Spanish first, which opens a lot of doors. Hispanics are very friendly and appreciative if they think that you accept them as neighbors and fellow countrymen and respect their sense of dignity. If you like them (they can tell), they will like you, and treat you accordingly.
We want to thank you, hellpaso and tofurkey for the responses -- very useful information.

Despite the drawbacks, the "Valley" still seems to be our best (and most affordable) choice. It doesn't necessarily have to be Brownsville. From what I understand, the whole Valley is comfortably warm in winter.

We have a fairly good retirement income, but it will be uncomfortable if we have to make mortgage payments. It appears that we have enough saved to pay cash for a home in most places in the Valley. Paying cash for a single-family home in such areas as South Florida, Arizona and southern California would simply be out of the question. And it looks like property taxes are very low, and Texas does not have a state income tax.

The fishing is good -- but we prefer fresh water fishing -- and evidently there is virtually no fresh water fishing. But that's not important, can't have everything. We're mostly looking to get away from the stinking cold!

To all, we say thanks again for your help.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times
The following is for comparison with several communities that you might want to consider:

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009:
Brownsville: $81,900
Aransas Pass: $89,838
Port Lavaca: $72,793
Kingsville: $70,677

Jan. 2011 cost of living index (U.S. average is 100)
Brownsville: 80.6
Aransas Pass: 86.2
Port Lavaca: 82.1
Kingsville: 80.3

More demographics:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Brownsville-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Aransas-Pass-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Port-Lavaca-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Kingsville-Texas.html

Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM

398 posts, read 1,417,782 times
there is plenty of freshwater fishing. the only problem is that i would only eat the fish out of certain bodies of water, the rest id just catch and release.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:56 AM

96 posts, read 209,774 times
Most all of the Rio Grande Valley is nice but Brownsville wouldn't be my first choice. Check out McAllen, Harnlingen, Mission, Weslaco etc. Those places have what I consider border charm and culture but are generally cleaner and more anglo-friendly and somewhat less crime in general. The whole are is mostly Hispanic but I've never found that to be a problem. People are people. Do unto others...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
The only advantage to Brownsville over any of the other areas in the valley IMO is the close proximity to the beach and South Padre Island.. Everything else you can find in other valley cities. I would not bother with Boca Chica beach.. It is not at all improved and there are no amenities. Port Isabel/ South Padre is about 25 miles give or take.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,142 times
We have lived in Brownsville for 12 years retiring from California. There is an initial big culture shock. We live in a gated community. Our resort is a 55 plus park so you get the best of both worlds. We have never had any problems. We do not go to Mexico because Mexico comes to us at the flea markets. Having traveled the country for 12 years there is no perfect place to live but in Brownsville your money goes farther. If you would like more information on the area [mod]request contact by Direct Message (DM) only[/mod]

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-03-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas