Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 PM

37 posts, read 39,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Texas A&M is one college I am considering that I was accepted to. Other schools I was accepted to were the University of Alabama, University of Georgia, University of South Carolina, and Ohio State. I never got a chance to visit College Station unfortunately.

1. What do you love about TA&M?
2. How is College Station as a college town? Love it? Hate it?
3. How is life at TA&M? Is the campus food good?
4. Did anyone attend TA&M? How was your experience?
5. Any good OOS Scholarships here? I qualify for some such as the National Buckeye at Ohio State.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 01:10 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,363,962 times
What do you intend to major in?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:12 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,022,270 times
Is it worth going to A&M if you're not majoring in something practical such as engineering or business?

Old 02-14-2017, 07:48 PM

18 posts, read 25,543 times
1. School spirit, Alumni network, all of it goes way beyond cheering for the football team (although that is very much part of it). As a student, part of the experience is getting involved. It's very much expected. From doing community service to football games and (honestly for most students) going to church, you are defined by the organizations you are in and the types of things you are involved in on campus. If you love the idea of getting super involved on campus and in the community and having the experience be about more than getting good grades for 4 years then you will love A&M. If you think it sounds weird, you can still make it but you will be overwhelmed by it at times.

2. EVERYTHING revolves around the school and students. The town outside of the student population has grown some in the last 5 years or so, but it's still largely a ghost town in the summers. I can't imagine a town being more closely tied to the school but, outside of Texas, I don't have anything to compare it too.

3. Largely answered in 1 & 2.

4. I graduated last May. I loved it and so did all my friends. However, I absolutely acknowledge it's not for everyone. The campus is massive, there are 60,000 students and yet there is a tremendous sense of community.

5. As far as I know, A&M gives almost no merit based scholarship. Regardless of in-state or out-of-state. The only scholarships I ever heard of the university providing were need based or to promote diversity on campus. It's definitely a different model than most schools in that there are plenty of smart kids in Texas who are willing to pay their own way as long as it's affordable. The short answer is that I doubt it, but you don't know unless you try.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Your major would have lot to do with your choice

A&M has good job prospects for grads because so many stay in state and have local connections
If you don't plan to do that then it might not be for you
A&M has medical schools with good grad rates and I think inner system grads get preferred placement from what I have heard

It is long way to an airport if I remember...

It is a Texas state of mind...meaning conservative, often "backward" attitudes so if you don't enjoy that mindset you won't be comfortable...

Old 02-15-2017, 04:02 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,373,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMac View Post
1. School spirit, Alumni network, all of it goes way beyond cheering for the football team (although that is very much part of it). As a student, part of the experience is getting involved. It's very much expected. From doing community service to football games and (honestly for most students) going to church, you are defined by the organizations you are in and the types of things you are involved in on campus. If you love the idea of getting super involved on campus and in the community and having the experience be about more than getting good grades for 4 years then you will love A&M. If you think it sounds weird, you can still make it but you will be overwhelmed by it at times.

2. EVERYTHING revolves around the school and students. The town outside of the student population has grown some in the last 5 years or so, but it's still largely a ghost town in the summers. I can't imagine a town being more closely tied to the school but, outside of Texas, I don't have anything to compare it too.

3. Largely answered in 1 & 2.

4. I graduated last May. I loved it and so did all my friends. However, I absolutely acknowledge it's not for everyone. The campus is massive, there are 60,000 students and yet there is a tremendous sense of community.

5. As far as I know, A&M gives almost no merit based scholarship. Regardless of in-state or out-of-state. The only scholarships I ever heard of the university providing were need based or to promote diversity on campus. It's definitely a different model than most schools in that there are plenty of smart kids in Texas who are willing to pay their own way as long as it's affordable. The short answer is that I doubt it, but you don't know unless you try.
Agreed. The Alumni network is second to none. Make sure you get a Aggie ring! Wearing that to an interview with a fellow Aggie is kinda like a shoe in.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,403,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ View Post
Hi all! Texas A&M is one college I am considering that I was accepted to. Other schools I was accepted to were the University of Alabama, University of Georgia, University of South Carolina, and Ohio State. I never got a chance to visit College Station unfortunately.

1. What do you love about TA&M?
2. How is College Station as a college town? Love it? Hate it?
3. How is life at TA&M? Is the campus food good?
4. Did anyone attend TA&M? How was your experience?
5. Any good OOS Scholarships here? I qualify for some such as the National Buckeye at Ohio State.

Thanks!
TAMU has incredible levels of aggie pride.Some like that,others do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: