Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I've got a Springfield Armory .45 XD for home, but I'm shopping for pocket pistols that are very concealable. I'm leaning towards either

Ruger LCP Handgun - Gander Mountain

but I would appreciate other suggestions if there is something better that is very small.
Here is another option for you, and very similar to the auto Ruger above. It is the Kel-tech P3-AT

Kel Tec CNC

It has no external safety, but a "long trigger pull" which gives a good measure of safety. That is to say, one must really intend to pull the trigger before the gun will fire.

I have one, along with a "back pocket" holster, which imparts the appearance of a wallet:

Amazon.com: Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical Ambidextrous Pocket Wallet Rapid Access Conceal Carry Leather Kel-Tec KelTec P32 P-32 P3AT P3-AT Small Frame Auto Pistol Gun Holster 380 Cal 32 Auto: Sports & Outdoors

*grinning a bit* The combination of the two could give a real surprise to the "bad guys" out to rob you. Reminicent of that opening scene in "The Shootist" (John Wayne). The updated scenario is that the punk approaches in the parking lot and says "hand it over, M...F..!"

You affect a terrifed look, and reply, stuttering and stammering with fear..."ok ok, please don't hurt me, here is my wallet....

...and a little something extra!"

Hee Hee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM

349 posts, read 260,753 times
Quote:
I find it rather strange that given how gun-friendly Texas is as a state, we don't have an open carry provision. I personally wouldn't open carry as it seems like it could make one a target in a number of ways, but I still find it odd that we are one of a minority of states that doesn't have the option at all.
I prefer NO OPEN CARRY myself. Standing in line at the local corner store, with someone behind me knowing I'm carrying???? No thanks.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
I prefer NO OPEN CARRY myself. Standing in line at the local corner store, with someone behind me knowing I'm carrying???? No thanks.
Another reason to appendix carry.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is another option for you, and very similar to the auto Ruger above. It is the Kel-tech P3-AT

Kel Tec CNC

It has no external safety, but a "long trigger pull" which gives a good measure of safety. That is to say, one must really intend to pull the trigger before the gun will fire.
This is the same gun that I carry and that my husband carries most of the time off-duty. I really like the long trigger pull, and that I don't have to worry with a safety.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,743 times
I did not notice anyone advising that when carrying a handgun in a vehicle there are formalities if pulled over by a police officer. Maybe it's common knowledge, but if someone does not have a CHL they may not be aware.

If pulled over keep both hands on wheel and immediately advise police officer that you have a weapon in the vehicle - Follow the instructions of the police officer....and keep in mind that it is a serious situation for the police officer, as they are dealing with a non-CHL holder (that is, with a CHL they know you went through a background check, training, safety testing, etc.). So, act appropriately for the situation - be serious and promptly cooperative.

I have a .38 Special - Simple to use, also no safety other than a longer pull on trigger. The hammer is covered, which I like. It's easy to handle - But when you shoot it, it has a bit of a kick, and a heck of a flash.

Though I have a CHL, I rarely carry it. Mostly if I am driving a long distance through remote areas.

And with an inside the belt holster and a loose shirt, or even in the pocket of baggie pants, it conceals.

Get a CHL - I enjoyed the classes and tips from the instructor. The safety info is useful.

And if you are going to carry a weapon in the car, you might as well get the CHL.

I want to add this:

Our instructor was a peace officer for years. He knew what he was talking about, and he knew exactly how to put together all the information (application, fingerprints, etc...). And I got the CHL without any problems...and promptly (with background check and all).

So, if taking the class and training - get an experienced instructor. A reliable independent person can often be better than the larger corporate owned businesses.

Last edited by migee; 01-17-2013 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 11-08-2014, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,552 times
Having a CHL, I want to be sure I understand the law for CHL holders carrying in their vehicles. Is it legal for a CHL holder to carry his weapon in a holster on his hip, concealed by his shirt or jacket, while driving his vehicle?

BTW: Being a small man, I found after trying several firearms, that the Glock 42 was the most inconspicuous for concealed carry.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:47 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,339 times
Default Taurus TCP 380

Quote:
I've got a Springfield Armory .45 XD for home, but I'm shopping for pocket pistols that are very concealable. I'm leaning towards either

Ruger LCP Handgun - Gander Mountain

or

Ruger LCR Handgun - Gander Mountain

but I would appreciate other suggestions if there is something better that is very small.
I just purchased a Taurus TCP 380 at Gander after reading all the good reviews it got. It fits in my front pant pocket nicely. It has a very smooth trigger and is about $100 dollars less than the Ruger. Used the $ 100 bucks I saved and bought a pocket holster and 4 boxes of ammo.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:53 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyl98 View Post
Having a CHL, I want to be sure I understand the law for CHL holders carrying in their vehicles. Is it legal for a CHL holder to carry his weapon in a holster on his hip, concealed by his shirt or jacket, while driving his vehicle?

BTW: Being a small man, I found after trying several firearms, that the Glock 42 was the most inconspicuous for concealed carry.
Barring any new recent laws, Yes, a CHL allows you to drive with a firearm concealed in Texas.

Under Texas law, your vehicle now falls under Castle Law. This was originally designed to allow legal transport of firearms to and from one's vehicle but it also allows one to conceal carry a firearm in the front of the vehicle within reach where as in the past this would be illegal. So you can legally throw your Glock in the glove box without a CHL. This includes crossing county lines in Texas.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
=SVTRay;37199912]Barring any new recent laws, Yes, a CHL allows you to drive with a firearm concealed in Texas.

Under Texas law, your vehicle now falls under Castle Law. This was originally designed to allow legal transport of firearms to and from one's vehicle but it also allows one to conceal carry a firearm in the front of the vehicle within reach where as in the past this would be illegal. So you can legally throw your Glock in the glove box without a CHL. This includes crossing county lines in Texas.
I think what you are referring to is the old "travelling" provision (which no longer exists), and the penal code did not define it, which made it extremely vague as to what the term actually meant. It really depended upon what the LEO decided as to definition as whether or not to make an arrest, the prosecutor as to whether or not to bring the case to court, and a jury (if it came to that) to convict.

Actual case law was unclear on it. The reason for the newest clarification, as I understand it, was to clear up any ambiguity. Something which was long overdue. Today, if you are legally allowed to buy a handgun, not engaged in any activity beyond a Class-C misdemeanor (like a traffic violation), not a member of a "gang", and the weapon not in open view, you are -- as you said -- allowed to have one in your vehicle whether just going up the street to the nearest convenience store or making a trip 500 miles away in the state!

Old 11-13-2014, 01:22 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I think what you are referring to is the old "travelling" provision (which no longer exists), and the penal code did not define it, which made it extremely vague as to what the term actually meant. It really depended upon what the LEO decided as to definition as whether or not to make an arrest, the prosecutor as to whether or not to bring the case to court, and a jury (if it came to that) to convict.

Actual case law was unclear on it. The reason for the newest clarification, as I understand it, was to clear up any ambiguity. Something which was long overdue. Today, if you are legally allowed to buy a handgun, not engaged in any activity beyond a Class-C misdemeanor (like a traffic violation), not a member of a "gang", and the weapon not in open view, you are -- as you said -- allowed to have one in your vehicle whether just going up the street to the nearest convenience store or making a trip 500 miles away in the state!
True. Even with the Castle doctrine, an officer in the city of Houston would gladly confiscate your gun and then some if you weren't licensed. So, in came HB 1815 to save the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas