Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,436 times

Advertisements

Okay, quick question here, hope this is in the right forum. I was scrolling through the county-by-county 2012 election results in Texas and saw that Obama won Dallas County. I thought that made sense, since it's very urban & urban voters tend to vote blue. But then I looked at Austin County results and saw that ROMNEY won it! How is that possible? The reason I was thinking about this was because I was reading some more about Texas turning purple and everything. it's seriously been bugging me because I always thought that Austin was Liberal Sanctuary in Texas. I even asked my old man if he had any insight into this quirk, but he literally didn't believe me when I said Romney won Austin County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Look at the election results for TRAVIS county......

The county seat of Austin County is Bellville.

The capital city of Austin is in both Travis and Williamson counties, mostly Travis.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 02-22-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

The capital city of Austin is in both Travis and Williamson counties, mostly Travis.
Ummm...unless I'm mistaken, the city limits of Austin are contained within Travis county lines. I don't think it would be legally allowed to have more than one county seat (Austin being the county seat of Travis Co.).

That having been said, the Austin metro area certainly sprawls beyond Travis County on all sides, not just on the Williamson County side.

Abutting counties:

Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Jesus. . .

maps, people. . .use maps.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Just think, most of Houston is in Harris county!

And San Antonio is in Bexar county. Fort Worth - Tarrant. Seems rather rare that the city and the county in which it sits have the same name.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Ummm...unless I'm mistaken, the city limits of Austin are contained within Travis county lines. I don't think it would be legally allowed to have more than one county seat (Austin being the county seat of Travis Co.).

That having been said, the Austin metro area certainly sprawls beyond Travis County on all sides, not just on the Williamson County side.

Abutting counties:

The city of Austin is the county seat of Travis, and has nothing to do with the fact that it is part of two counties.

According to the latest Texas Almanac, p. 397, a small part of the city of Austin is within Williamson county--and I didn't know that. I knew there was an Austin county, and had to look up its county seat.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
The OP needs a map.....

Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

Abutting counties:

There are indeed parts of the city of Austin that extend beyond the Travis county line and into Williamson. Pretty damn certain about this, as I live in this part.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Just think, most of Houston is in Harris county!

And San Antonio is in Bexar county. Fort Worth - Tarrant. Seems rather rare that the city and the county in which it sits have the same name.
Up until 1836 there was no city of Houston. There was however, on the banks of Buffalo Bayou a town called Harrisburg. Santa Anna and his goon squad burned it to the ground then proceeded to the San Jacinto battleground for business dealings, then to the Washburn Tunnel for a siesta.

The rest is history.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...articles/hvh27
Quote:
HARRISBURG, TEXAS (Harris County). Harrisburg (Harrisburgh), on the right bank of Buffalo Bayou in eastern Harris County, was established before 1825 on the survey of New York entrepreneur John Richardson Harris. In 1826 Francis W. Johnson surveyed the town, and Harris formally named it Harrisburg, in honor, no doubt, of himself, as well as of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, which had been founded by and named for his great-grandfather. A small sawmill cut local timber, and ships plied between Harrisburg and ports in the United States and Mexico. Freight for San Felipe de Austin went by water to Harrisburg and then moved overland to the Brazos River. On December 30, 1835, the General Council established Harrisburg Municipality and designated the town the seat of its government. Edward Wray, alcalde, and H. H. League and Nathaniel Lynch, judges, transacted municipal business in Harrisburg until April 16, 1836, when Antonio López de Santa Anna burned the entire town except the residence of John W. Moore. Shortly after the Texas Revolution the city of Houston was laid out on the bayou above Harrisburg and became the seat of Harrisburg (later Harris) County and the capital of the Republic of Texas.
...more at the link

Last edited by Willsson; 02-22-2013 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Seems rather rare that the city and the county in which it sits have the same name.
El Paso is in El Paso county - constrained on north, west and sw by New Mexico and Chihuahua state lines.

As for the Travis/Williamson county argument, here is a quote from the Wikipedia description of Williamson Co. that is factually accurate:

Quote:
It is part of the Austin-Round Rock metropolitan area...

Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos is a five-county metropolitan area in the U.S. state of Texas, as defined by the Office of Management and Budget. Commonly referred to as Greater Austin, the metropolitan area... The metropolitan area is centered around the city of Austin—the fourth-largest city in Texas with a population of 820,000 people. Austin's largest suburbs are Round Rock, Cedar Park, Georgetown and San Marcos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas