Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Texas "Food Group"?
Chicken Fried Steak 6 8.70%
Tex-Mex 36 52.17%
Barbeque 27 39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Niarobi : Wildwood BBQ, on Park South, just a few blocks north of Union Sq.

As to TexMex in Texas -- yes, of course it is better than elsewhere, but most TexMex restaurants even in Texas are mediocre to crappy IMO. Anyway, I'd prefer either Interior Mex or New Mexico style to the greasy, cheesie slop known as TexMex.
I enjoy both. For even some barbacoa or a carnitas taco, I'm not going to a Tex-Mex establishment. On the other hand, a hot, greasy, bean and cheese taco with fluffy tortillas satisfies late-night hunger like few other foods can.

Tex-Mex is essentially "peasant food", but I don't think it should ever be viewed as unauthentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
doctorjef, what's the name of the place in Manhattan? My son lived in NYC for some years, he's a confirmed foodie, and the the only things he said he could NOT find in NYC were breakfast tacos and decent BBQ. Shortly before he moved back to Texas a BBQ place opened up up there and he tried it and called me on his cell phone right after he left to tell me that they'd actually gotten it right. Seems they sent their pit boss to intern down here in Elgin for a couple of years before opening up (plus had Shiner, Blue Bell, Big Red and a few of the other requirement, as well).

Place was called Hill Country BBQ. Only problem was it was $30/plate for what you can get for considerably less down here.
Wildwood BBQ is nowhere near that expensive! I believe there is a Hill Country BBQ in DC, which attempts to be a sort of butcher counter operation -- they don't have table service. Partner and I didn't care for their concept so didn't eat there once we realised what the set up was.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
This thread made me hungry.

Here is a picture of my husband happily eating pork BBQ ribs at the Country Tavern in Kilgore, Texas just an hour or so ago!

With a big, frosty mug of Bud Lite on the side. I, however, had a big frosty mug of Shiner Bock myself.

YEEHAW! It don't get much better than this.

Country Tavern - Kilgore, TX

Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
And after...

Rib carnage...the only reason why there's as much meat left on the bones as there is, is because these bones were going home to our very spoiled dogs!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy [/QUOTE
4017;28514317]LOL!!

No. I've never had a real Frito pie outside of sporting events--that means the little bag of Fritos cut open, with chili dumped on top, with a sprinkling of a little onion and cheese!

I guess I forgive you for lumping FP in with real Tex-Mex, but ONLY for poll purposes, you understand.....
LOL Yes, sis dear! I never intended frito-pie to get the billing it did at all. But of course, that is how things like this often go totally out of control!

Of course it was only for polling purposes, and even then it was intended to be an extremely minor one at that. The original intent was to be a light-hearted play off of how the "Oil, Cotton, Cattle" are the Big Three of Texas historical economics? But yet, that the textile industry is a derivative of the cotton boom, or that sheep and dairy falls under the heading? But only if one is wavering in choosing? Sorta like that!

Anyway, I am thinking of making a totally different poll on the frito pie. Fer gosh sakes --don't y'all (fellow Texans, I mean) agree -- it consists of fritos, chili, cheese, onions...and that is all. .

If one starts throwing in beans and rice and all kinds of blu****, then it is a cassarole and not worthy of the Texas definition. Line in the dirt. It may be something good...but NOT Texas frito pie

But ok, no biggie. It is just fun to banter and share back and forth with my friends and fellow Texans!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Tex-Mex. That was easy. I'm not a fan of charred meat, coleslaw, or iced tea. Fried leather in batter doesn't really do it for me, either.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Can't do it (choose). Want all 3 NOW.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Kathryn...your husband oddly reminds me of my dad in that picture It could be because my dad makes the same sort of face in pictures! But seriously, they DOhave similar facial features.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
All three? Maybe try Torchy's tacos... You can order tacos with BBQ brisket (ok, many places have that), Jalepeno Sausage (The "Republican"), or a taco with chicken fried steak (An off-menu variation of their "trailer park" taco, called the "double-wide": Torchy's - Double Wide taco | Flickr - Photo Sharing!). Or even another southern-food staple, the chicken and waffle taco: http://www.facebook.com/TorchysTacos.

I think they even have Tex-Mex tacos

Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
All three? Maybe try Torchy's tacos... You can order tacos with BBQ brisket (ok, many places have that), Jalepeno Sausage (The "Republican"), or a taco with chicken fried steak (An off-menu variation of their "trailer park" taco, called the "double-wide": Torchy's - Double Wide taco | Flickr - Photo Sharing!). Or even another southern-food staple, the chicken and waffle taco: http://www.facebook.com/TorchysTacos.

I think they even have Tex-Mex tacos
Torchy's is good, but terribly overpriced. I can go to that Jefe's taco truck on Cameron and 290 late at night and get for or five tacos for the price of two at Torchy's (assuming it's still there. I haven't been in a while).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas