Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM

17 posts, read 45,873 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,

I am at a crossroads and I need advice. I am 25, have a bachelors degree, no kids, no boyfriend.I've been offered a position at the only large employer in Beeville,TX (not in the shale/oil biz-you guess where. hint: clink clink) and I am having a hard time thinking it through. I live in NYC,no car,an apartment and a job where I am paid weekly. If I took this job, I would have to give up my apartment, have to rent a car for a few months until I save enough to buy one (if even possible) and I would get paid monthly. Granted, the cost of living would be cheaper and my salary would be higher, but is it worth it? I know it's like 1.5 hrs from San Antonio and 60 odd miles from Corpus Christie. Overall, I've estimated that the cost of living would be better (100X better) than NYC, but should I uproot my life and what I know for the unknown? The position would open up more doors for serious, "real" job opportunity but would you leave a somewhat stable situation for the unknown? Advice? Please be nice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Beeville is good ol' rural Texas. I am not sure I would recommend it to someone I do not know pretty well, and the change from NYC to Beeville......well, have you thought about moving to Nigeria or Bangladesh? It might be less of a culture shock .

Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
Sadly, Trainwreck is right. That's going to be a huge culture shock...

Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM

lol@ trainwreck. ugh. i hate growing up....because you have to make HUGE decisions that will affect the rest of your life. oh well...thanks guys.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Is it the McConnell unit or the Garza West unit, by any chance?

Ofc, depending on how much they pay you, you can make a killing - the cost of living is next to nothing, although the Eagleford Shale activity has caused a spike in prices, I would guess. Since you ARE young, I would not dismiss it out of hand. If you totally could not deal with it, there are other jobs out there. If you are actually getting paid more than you are in NY....wow. And it isn't that the people are bad or anything there (well, 'clients' notwithstanding), it is just that it is rural. In town, you could probably get by w/o a car, although the actual units are outside of town. Where did you grow up? If living in NY is you ONLY life experience, then this move will/would be tougher - although possible more of a growth experience. Also, are you changing job fields, or is this in the same business where you are now? I am assuming that this is the prison system (McConnell unit or the Garza West unit?), although I have no idea what position you are seeking. If you have never been a jailor AND are moving from NY to Beeville..... OTOH, if you are in parole/probation and/or have work experience in that field, not so much of a double whammy.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,307 times
I am guessing the job is in TDCJ? I worked for TDCJ/UTMB for 13 years, 2 of that in Beeville at the Garza Units and McConnell....while I was a single female in my mid-30s, with a mental health graduate degree. There are some NICE NICE people in South Texas and some of the best Mexican food you've ever eaten (especially coming from NYC!), and you really aren't too far from Corpus Christi, Victoria, or San Antonio when you need something. People run those roads regularly. (I lived in Victoria and worked in Beeville - wouldn't recommend it, as it is just too far!) I was from North Texas, not Hispanic, and had never even been down there before moving, and I had no trouble fitting in. If you are working in TDCJ or UTMB, you will have a "family" there who will become friends if you stay long enough, and it is generally pretty easy to meet people out and about.

I say go for it if the job will open up more possibilities for you! Life's too short not to take chances and explore the world! (And Beeville IS a totally different world from NYC!!) It could truly be a huge stepping stone to other things! Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BREUKELEN View Post
Hello friends,

I am at a crossroads and I need advice. I am 25, have a bachelors degree, no kids, no boyfriend.I've been offered a position at the only large employer in Beeville,TX (not in the shale/oil biz-you guess where. hint: clink clink) and I am having a hard time thinking it through. I live in NYC,no car,an apartment and a job where I am paid weekly. If I took this job, I would have to give up my apartment, have to rent a car for a few months until I save enough to buy one (if even possible) and I would get paid monthly. Granted, the cost of living would be cheaper and my salary would be higher, but is it worth it? I know it's like 1.5 hrs from San Antonio and 60 odd miles from Corpus Christie. Overall, I've estimated that the cost of living would be better (100X better) than NYC, but should I uproot my life and what I know for the unknown? The position would open up more doors for serious, "real" job opportunity but would you leave a somewhat stable situation for the unknown? Advice? Please be nice.
Yes, take the job!

In 1978 I went to New York City to take a few week class for the merchant marine and then go on a merchant ship.

My accent was so bad I could barely make the operator understand me when I called home to tell my parents I had gotten there OK.

When I got back to Texas people listened to my stories, they were new and different, yours will be too.

A couple of years later my new bride and I showed up in New York City on a snowy winter day in a 1980 Civic with a huge U-haul on top. It had everything we owned.

It was hard, fun, crazy, rewarding and a cool experience.

You will probably have the same kind of life expanding experience. In the end you will probably end up back home, but you will have grown a lot.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Default thinking it out.

THANKS YOU GUYS !!!
Well, yes, its a position with TDCJ and its the McConnel Unit. I have lived in a very rural
town in upstate, NY for like 5 years so yeah...i get the culture shock! Iam just going to take my time and really think it out.Thank you so much for stating the negative and positive.I would make a little more then I do now, which is CRAZY but the cost of living in NYC is bananas. Subway sandwich meal? $10.00 4 train rides? $10.00 rent? $1,130 for about 500 sq ft. if you are lucky...and you know what? life is short dangit. LOL. I went to school for law, and so far have been stuck at customer service/sales type jobs so I need the change for career purposes. NYC is not all that it's cracked up to be. I was born and raised here in Brooklyn and even I can see through the "glitz" if you call freezing on a train platform "glitz" and the "glam" of smelling your next doors neighbors cooking. It's a little hard to get by here.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,240 times
You sound like you are leaning toward making the move. My opinion is--Go for it! You may never again find yourself in a position to "take the plunge" into an unfamiliar world. Wish you all the luck in the world!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,438 times
If you are interested in law enforcement, don't want to move to "rural" TX, and want to make decent money in a city with a low cost of living; Then, why don't you apply for the Corpus Christi Police Dept? You don't need previous experience or a college degree.

They are currently hiring for the 72nd Academy in August. Its good money, great benefits, and the funnest job in the world! I had a friend, that was in my academy, that is from Syracuse, NY, and loves it down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas