Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM

182 posts, read 694,220 times

Advertisements

Bag ban in Austin, and other places just simply unpractical and inconvenient. Just another "feel good" legislation that doesn't solve any issues, but instead it brings a lot of pain.

Just think about it. The cost of plastic bags already included into the price by retailers. Those plastic bags are available in 99.9% retail stores around the country, but here in Austin they just making extra profit by not offerings bags to the customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It's not like the "free" bags (which you end up paying for with higher prices) were anything great after all.

Come on, you're basically complaining about not getting crappy bags that split open randomly.
actually no, we are complaining about the city mandating which bags stores are allowed to provide.

Bags werent really a problem before. If the city can ban things like bags, they literally can ban anything else they want to that isnt really a problem;

Just like the cell phone ban it was a non existent problem (or a solution that does nothing), but the precedent for govt over reach that it sets is terrible.

some of the negative side effects are food poisoning rates going up (in other places this has been done), more expensive bags being offered instead - and thrown away.

Plastic Bag Ban Responsible For Spike In E. Coli Infections, Study Says

I would rather see the city actually tackle the traffic problem and open up the balcones canyonland preserve for actual use by people

Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Bags werent really a problem before.
Yes, they were, since they were non-recyclable (and actually would jam up recycling machinery).

Quote:
Just like the cell phone ban it was a non existent problem
Non-existent? You mean you've never seen a traffic accident?

Quote:
some of the negative side effects are food poisoning rates going up (in other places this has been done),
And by "places". You mean 1 disputed study done in 1 place _before_ bags were really banned.

And one which has never even tried to explain an actual mechanism. I don't know about you, but my food _never touches my bags_.

Quote:
I would rather see the city actually tackle the traffic problem and open up the balcones canyonland preserve for actual use by people
Holy non sequitor Batman.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:47 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
I need to go to the doctor because I'm with Novacek on this one.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM

300 posts, read 414,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post

Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
A lot of people I know who were iffy about the ban at first don't want to see the ban tossed now. The biggest "pain" for most people was remembering to bring reusables when grocery shopping. Now, many Austinites have formed the habit of bringing the bags with them. It seems like the people who complain about the ban the most are either the people passing through town or living in surrounding areas that don't have the ban.

Unfortunately the Legislature is now butting in and making a big deal about something that really isn't a big deal to the people it actually affects.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 AM

155 posts, read 211,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I'm with you on this one

Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
I hope all the Machiavellians here understand that someone can see this as a laudable goal, that is terminally flawed in its creation. That the why may be worthwhile, but the how is basically illegal.

And all those slinging the "hypocrisy" charge need to go back to civics class. The Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution says that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States". When Texas sues the federal government, it is almost always over the federal government's overreach in this area. It is a constitutional issue. The Texas Constitution says that home rule charter cities, which Austin is, are free to do most anything -- provided it doesn't conflict with the Constitution or state statute. The state is acting within the Constitution to enact statutes on a variety of subjects, including solid waste disposal, and any home rule city -- including Austin -- doesn't get to decide if they want to follow them or not. It isn't "Austin bashing" to expect it, or any Texas home rule city, to act in accordance with the law.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:16 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I hope all the Machiavellians here understand that someone can see this as a laudable goal, that is terminally flawed in its creation. That the why may be worthwhile, but the how is basically illegal.

And all those slinging the "hypocrisy" charge need to go back to civics class. The Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution says that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States". When Texas sues the federal government, it is almost always over the federal government's overreach in this area. It is a constitutional issue. The Texas Constitution says that home rule charter cities, which Austin is, are free to do most anything -- provided it doesn't conflict with the Constitution or state statute. The state is acting within the Constitution to enact statutes on a variety of subjects, including solid waste disposal, and any home rule city -- including Austin -- doesn't get to decide if they want to follow them or not. It isn't "Austin bashing" to expect it, or any Texas home rule city, to act in accordance with the law.
The law, that is, that hasn't been enacted yet, is stupid and pointless, and that citizens are airing their disgust with. No problem here; no need to resort to "10th Amendment" big guns. It's just (one more) incredibly stupid law before the Texas legislature; it's what they do, fiddle while Rome burns, then go home in June, leaving the rest of us to clean up their mess as best we can.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
The law, that is, that hasn't been enacted yet, is stupid and pointless, and that citizens are airing their disgust with.
Au contraire. The law already exists, and has since 1989.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas