Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
LOL. This is one of the statements that bugs me the most. I have heard this everywhere I have lived and everywhere the people who say it think it is unique to their location. I even heard this in Bakersfield, CA which has quite possibly some of the most predictable weather in the entire country. People here in the Houston area say it too and it's generally a laughable statement in this area. With the exception of a pop-up thunderstorm in the summer, or a tropical storm event, the weather in south Texas is usually extremely predictable. However, this spring IS highly unusual.

That said, I lived in Oklahoma where that saying is 100% true. I imagine it might apply to northeast and northwest TX too.
Lol Hey I don't know about that one, War Beagle. Fall through spring can be such a roller coaster ride in Houston. Countless days can begin chilly and end up warm and sunny by the afternoon, or you can start the day off warm and a sheet of clouds will come out of nowhere bringing in some cool air. These types of events never surprise me, because I'm always checking the forecast, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I didn't even know it was supposed to be cold today!"

Summer is just about the only season in Houston that's completely predictable. There's little deviation from hot and wet. I do agree with you about that statement being more true of the northern parts of Texas, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Yes, this has been a cold spring. We will get another cold front Tuesday. Spring planting has been delayed across much of TX and the South. Further north, the snow has killed a lot of calves and sheep. Canada and Alaska MIGHT get above freezing this week.
Yep. Watch the weather reports... not for predictions or whether or not to bring in the dogs. But pay attention to the weather pattern charts, particularly the jet stream. The thing has been further north than usual with occasional dips into the south which brings the Canadian cold fronts. That's why the north and northeast has gotten so much cold.

As the jet stream is further north, the cold fronts here in Texas are more like turning on the AC on a cool day. I like it that way. Will also allow more gulf breeze and humidity in the summer, with fewer of the lingering high pressure systems which bring the intense heat.

I'm looking for balmy this year. Time to shop for new patio furniture..

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I am LOVING this weather. After twenty years of what seems like incessant heat (though I do love Texas anyway), this is a real treat.

I'm afraid that if I complain, and then walk outside and get hit by a truck, I'll go straight to hell.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
As the jet stream is further north, the cold fronts here in Texas are more like turning on the AC on a cool day. I like it that way. Will also allow more gulf breeze and humidity in the summer, with fewer of the lingering high pressure systems which bring the intense heat.
What do past cool springs suggest about the weather for the rest of the year? I'm particularly curious about summer rainfall and then winter temps.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
I like this weather too. Maybe our summer will be a little cooler this year.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
I'm actually hearing that the Northeast, Southeast, and Southwest regions of the country are supposed to be experiencing above average heat with a rainy late summer. I'll try finding the link.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
I shall now post the most popular sentiment on this entire subforum:

"Hey, I'm in Texas. I don't care HOW hot it is, as long as we get plenty of rain. "

Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
What do past cool springs suggest about the weather for the rest of the year? I'm particularly curious about summer rainfall and then winter temps.
Cool springs... rest of year? As far as I know, nothing. But where I live, we've already had more rain this spring than we had all of last year.

Summer rainfall... winter temps? I have no idea.

I just watch the jet stream to see where they weather is going to go.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 PM

578 posts, read 1,228,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
ENSO (pacific decadal oscillation, that thing that gives us El Ninos) is neutral this year. That means Texas is likely to see a little drought relief this year (which is good! Originally ENSO was looking to be in La Nina mode, which would have meant more drought). ENSO being neutral will result in Texan weather that is no surprise to old-timers, but which will seem unusual to the rest of us, as it has been in strong El Nino/La Nina weather patterns for most of the last couple decades.

Climate Prediction Center - Monitoring & Data: ENSO Impacts on the U.S. - Previous Events
ENSO neutral conditions just mean equal chances of it being drier or wetter than normal, it doesn't guarantee us conditions one way or the other. A normal summer in Texas means very little rain anyway, so for the western 2/3 of Texas the drought will rage on....
Southern Plains Home | U.S. Drought Portal

Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM

361 posts, read 862,064 times
Nairobi,

I'm not sure about all areas in the north but here in WI and I believe all of MN it is much colder than normal, some areas are still getting heavy snow while we are just having small amounts of snow. The weather seems to be 1 - 2 months behind. I just came back from visiting some family in TN and there seems to be a good amount of flooding in Ill. and WI due to the snow and rain. I thin it could be a late planting season for the farmers up this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas