Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Also when you mentioned the winter being mild, that's exactly my point--why not be cool during winter when it's SUPPOSED to be? There is a time & place for everything. Winter is NOT the time for days in the 70s and 80s (although the attractive women taking advantage of it in their manner of dress certainly makes it difficult to complain, ha ha), spring is NOT the time for days in the 40s or 50s. I may not be a fan of coolish weather, but when it's that way in the wintertime, that makes sense & concerns me absolutely none at all (again, unless you're in the Bahamas or Key West etc).
I still don't get where you have come up with your idea of what weather is "SUPPOSED" to be or why you consider that idea correct given the ample evidence to the contrary. Some time within the next 100 years, odds are you'll be in a box in the ground and will remain there for the foreseeable future. The weather during that time will be exceptionally consistent for you. Until then, enjoy what you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I used my AC on the way to the PO yesterday and it's 89 degrees here today but Thursday we have a 50% chance of snow showers. Now that's diversity, Texas style!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I used my AC on the way to the PO yesterday and it's 89 degrees here today but Thursday we have a 50% chance of snow showers. Now that's diversity, Texas style!
its supposed to be 95 or 96 today and later this week its gonna be in the 50's in Midland.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
its supposed to be 95 or 96 today and later this week its gonna be in the 50's in Midland.
I have the ceiling fans going today.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
I like this new cool spring. I am sure someone is using it for greed or political purposes, but I say let's go with it. Let's make cool springs a new NORMAL!

Down with the normal Texas that says a short winter and two days of spring and then Summer! Up with this new fad, this amazing feat of weather unpredictability, this new normal!

Cool Spring! All for cool spring as the new normal in Texas, raise your voices!

I will look into the cost of bumper stickers for anyone interested...........

Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I like this new cool spring. I am sure someone is using it for greed or political purposes, but I say let's go with it. Let's make cool springs a new NORMAL!

Down with the normal Texas that says a short winter and two days of spring and then Summer! Up with this new fad, this amazing feat of weather unpredictability, this new normal!

Cool Spring! All for cool spring as the new normal in Texas, raise your voices!

I will look into the cost of bumper stickers for anyone interested...........
Boo, hiss. Don't be surprised if either (a) summer is even hotter than normal or (b) next year spring is not only warmer than this year, but warmer than other years, because it all averages out in the end.

That's what I always tell myself if we have a warm 75'F day in January--sure it's nice insomuch that I like warm weather, but you have to pay the piper. You'll pay for it later in someway. Typically it means a cold day in May when it's now SUPPOSED to be 75'F (or even 80'F).

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it will average out later, and I must say, I will be smiling most satisfyingly at the prospect of people who ROOT for spring being cooler than normal getting roasted for it later. If you like cool spring-time, fine, but the proper response isn't hoping that the area you live in changes to what you want, but that somewhere else HAS what you want, and you're free to relocate there.

I don't mean that in an ugly way--if it comes off as such, forgive me. It's just like what my best friend says sometimes--he lives in western NC, he chose that area because he hates HOT summers like we used to have in eastern NC (not as hot as east TX but still too hot for his liking) and there summers typically are around 85'F even in July. He also wanted more REAL winters with more snow etc, and for it to NOT be where you were wearing shorts around Christmas, which seemed to happen a lot in eastern NC even though it's not the norm.

So he moved to the mountains of western NC and LIKES it when it's normal. More to the point, he gets annoyed when people whine about how cold it usually gets there in winter, such cold is what's normal for the area & the basis of his moving there. To him, they're free to relocate to FL or the like if mild winters is what they want. And when they have a fluke warm spell making it 70'F there in January and everyone is raving at how great they think it is, he smiles when it averages out later by having a real brutally colder-than-average winter period later on. He views it as a form of justice or making things right again in some sort of way.

It's the same here. We are different in that he likes cooler weather whereas I'm partial to warmer weather, but we're alike in terms of that we moved to a region based largely on the kind of weather we like & that region's norms matching up to that somewhat, and we want what we moved there (or here) for. Other people can do the same. I actually don't care for how hot our summers get, they're brutal (and 2011 was downright insane), but I'm willing to pay the price in exchange for a milder winter and an earlier start to pool & lake season in mid-April or so. I don't expect 70'F and Bermuda shorts in January, I just prefer it being 55'F or so to it being 35'F and shoveling snow etc. The main thing: I like the spring periods here vs other places better in terms of it getting warm quicker (yet it's not HOT yet), and that it's not happening this year as it is SUPPOSED to be is what's aggravating me so much. But again, the piper will be paid later.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-01-2013 at 07:17 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
There's an arctic blocking pattern up north. As long as it lasts, we get a spring. Once it's gone, summer will be here with a vengeance. But ENSO is neutral, so at least the easterly parts of the state will likely get some rain out of it.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Boo, hiss. Don't be surprised if either (a) summer is even hotter than normal or (b) next year spring is not only warmer than this year, but warmer than other years, because it all averages out in the end.

That's what I always tell myself if we have a warm 75'F day in January--sure it's nice insomuch that I like warm weather, but you have to pay the piper. You'll pay for it later in someway. Typically it means a cold day in May when it's now SUPPOSED to be 75'F (or even 80'F).

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it will average out later, and I must say, I will be smiling most satisfyingly at the prospect of people who ROOT for spring being cooler than normal getting roasted for it later. If you like cool spring-time, fine, but the proper response isn't hoping that the area you live in changes to what you want, but that somewhere else HAS what you want, and you're free to relocate there.

I don't mean that in an ugly way--if it comes off as such, forgive me. It's just like what my best friend says sometimes--he lives in western NC, he chose that area because he hates HOT summers like we used to have in eastern NC (not as hot as east TX but still too hot for his liking) and there summers typically are around 85'F even in July. He also wanted more REAL winters with more snow etc, and for it to NOT be where you were wearing shorts around Christmas, which seemed to happen a lot in eastern NC even though it's not the norm.

So he moved to the mountains of western NC and LIKES it when it's normal. More to the point, he gets annoyed when people whine about how cold it usually gets there in winter, such cold is what's normal for the area & the basis of his moving there. To him, they're free to relocate to FL or the like if mild winters is what they want. And when they have a fluke warm spell making it 70'F there in January and everyone is raving at how great they think it is, he smiles when it averages out later by having a real brutally colder-than-average winter period later on. He views it as a form of justice or making things right again in some sort of way.

It's the same here. We are different in that he likes cooler weather whereas I'm partial to warmer weather, but we're alike in terms of that we moved to a region based largely on the kind of weather we like & that region's norms matching up to that somewhat, and we want what we moved there (or here) for. Other people can do the same. I actually don't care for how hot our summers get, they're brutal (and 2011 was downright insane), but I'm willing to pay the price in exchange for a milder winter and an earlier start to pool & lake season in mid-April or so. I don't expect 70'F and Bermuda shorts in January, I just prefer it being 55'F or so to it being 35'F and shoveling snow etc. The main thing: I like the spring periods here vs other places better in terms of it getting warm quicker (yet it's not HOT yet), and that it's not happening this year as it is SUPPOSED to be is what's aggravating me so much. But again, the piper will be paid later.

LRH
If you want warm weather then move to South Florida, but even then they get some rare frosts and freeezes in the winter.

If you want consistent weather, move to California. Sacramento has been hitting the low to mid 90's for the past few weeks. If that is too hot for you for early May, San Jose has been hitting upper 70's to low 80's (what we normally get this time of year). Also, those regions have a Mediterranean climate which means guaranteed no rain from March until October. From this time of year until October, Sacramento is one of the sunniest places on the planet (not joking). In the winter that area gets into the 50's at the lowest but it's consistent. It is also one of the cloudiest places in the winter with persistent rain and drizzle, but that's what a Med climate offers. We have a humid subtropical climate with a large cold continent above us so we have to take what we can get. Winds from south = warm, winds from north = cold.

Other than California, your SOL if you want consistent weather. Our summer is definitely consistent, however.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
There's an arctic blocking pattern up north. As long as it lasts, we get a spring. Once it's gone, summer will be here with a vengeance. But ENSO is neutral, so at least the easterly parts of the state will likely get some rain out of it.
When we get this pattern in the winter, that's when we get sub-arctic weather and temps fall into the teens at night and pipes burst, etc... It's good this is happening now instead of then...

Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM

30 degrees here this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas