Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
As I said, most people I know in the Dallas area (regardless of being red or blue) actually see eye to eye with me on most social issues. I didnt go looking for them, that just seems to be more of the midset at least here.
I have to disagree with you on this. The Dallas area is quite large and even though the people you know in it are of the same mindset as yourself, there are plenty who are not.

The majority rules and this in itself explains the situation.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
It's strange, you would think that libertarians and social liberals would be natural allies, but that is not the case. In fact, it seems to me (based on reading liberal political blogs) that liberals hate libertarians even more than they hate conservatives.

Maybe it has to do with the libertarian threat to big government.
I think its time we can all move beyond labels. Conservatives and liberals alike share some things in common with a libertarian or a post-modernist (what I mostly identify with). Most Republicans on the west coast and northeast are post-modernist or libertarian. Yet, there is this almight rush to label each other with a "Democrat" or "Republican". In reality, most are in between.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. The Dallas area is quite large and even though the people you know in it are of the same mindset as yourself, there are plenty who are not.

The majority rules and this in itself explains the situation.
I did specify my age group. Part of it probably has to do with where I live and work. Either way, I stand by what I said. Im not trying to say Dallas is liberal (though the city itself certainly is), instead what Im saying is that, at least in my age group (Im 31), there seems to be more like me than not on social issues. Maybe its because I live in an area with large amounts of college graduates and people not from Texas or the US. Who knows?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Yes, who knows.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:

I wonder how many surviving spouses/parents of dead soldiers who died courageously in the line of duty while serving our country and preserving our freedoms (so gay basketball players can make a big splash across the country in the media when proclaiming their sexual preferences) did our president call to offer his personal condolences to. Huh! Not any, I'd say. BUT he certainly had time to offer personal congrats to that other particular brand of courage. Yep, sure makes you wonder, alright.
AMEN to that.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
From the article.

Quote:
Federal education and research programs will help students acquire the skills needed to fill the well-paying jobs of the future, Obama told students at Manor New Technology High School near Austin.
Translation:

"Federal education and research programs..." - We'll raise your taxes & collect more money from you & waste 50% of it & then send a portion back to you.

"...will help students ....." - We'll decide which students. What color are you? What state do you live in?

"....acquire the skills needed to fill the well-paying jobs of the future...." - We'll define "high paying" & all of us smart lawyers & politicos in DC will determine the skills needed (not the local or regional companies hiring you).

"....Obama told students at Manor New Techology High School near Austin" - Not to smack down on Manor, but it is probably the last place anyone would say is high tech. It's certainly the last place anyone moving to Austin ends up. As a former Democratic Gov. (with more huevos than the prez.) once said....."You can dress up a pig & call her Monique.....but she's still a pig". Well, you can call your High School "New Technology".....but it's still in Manor.

& the Dude drove right by (could have thrown a rock to hit it) the highest ranked (non charter) public High School in Texas (maybe in the whole country) when he went out to Applied Materials to speak....but he blew that photo op.

Most importantly, a guy who got a free ride thru school, couldn't hack it as a lawyer, made his name & found his calling as a "community organizer", never earned a real paycheck....from a real company, never made a payroll & would have a hard time even understanding that assets should exceed liabilities (& that revenues should exceed expenses).......a guy like that has NO business telling grown up businessmen how to do things.

Grown ups make money, save for the future & protect those who they are responsible for. Children don't work, always want to buy toys & cool things & are dependent on others. T'was a nice little speech in Manor....he earns a gold star & a nice trophy.

(& I support a gay person's right to be just as miserable in a marriage as the rest of us....but I put it at about #137 on the list of important issues in our country).

Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. The reason why this is becoming such an issue has nothing to do with who they can love, but the rights they are denied because of the consenting adult they love. People want to act like it should be enough that they can simply love each other and live with each other. Im sorry, but it isnt. When they can have the same legal rights that straight married couples enjoy (insurance, hospital visitations, tax exemptions, child adoptions, etc.), then I and those like me will shut up about it.

Its not that they think they are special, they think they are equal.
I agree that gays should have all the rights afforded to straights by the government. That part of the gay rights movement is not what annoys me. What I find irritating is that the gay rights movement has gone from wanting tolerance and the same rights to everyone else actively celebrating their lifestyle. At least with the more militant gay rights advocates, it's not enough to treat gays with the dignity and respect they deserve. Rather, if you aren't actively advocating for them and celebrating their gayness, you might find yourself labeled a homophobe.

By the way, those pride parades are a huge turnoff to people that don't otherwise have a problem with homosexuality. The best thing the gay movement could do is present themselves as average, tax-paying Americans. Parading yourselves through the streets in such a way that confirms the worst stereotypes of the group doesn't seem like a wise PR move to me.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,870 times
Quote:
Personally, gay rights is my number one political issue. It trumps everything else for me. When the republicans in Texas can at least agree on legal equality, I can consider voting for them. Until then, no republican in Texas will get my vote even though I think they are more economically sound. Heck, in California, I used to vote for republicans all the time.
Gay Rights and Gun Rights are the same in my book.

A man should be able to carry and shoot his gun where ever he wants..

Personally, I have little use for the position that anyone can do anything they want except for certain things you do not like. I see the same attitude from the New York "Ban-Burg" Puritans and the "Church Lady" Christians. All of this is based on ignorance. They never get out of that endless loop of blame and ban.

Last edited by TX75007; 05-10-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 02:39 PM

229 posts, read 305,211 times
Quote:
Actually no, it isn't the most important problem facing this nation, regardless of how important it is to you and the others like you.

Broaden your horizon and you will realize this country is facing a far more serious crisis than focusing on the select gay crowd.

I realize you think your agenda is the alpha and omega and the other 'little problems' will somehow take care of themselves and after all, they really don't affect your personally. You are so dead wrong and the day may come when these other 'less important issues' will come to haunt you. You might have all the 'gay rights' you can remotely think of, but they won't be enough to buy a bowl of beans for your growling belly.
Actually, you should read my post. I said that it is the most important problem facing this nation (when it affects you personally), as it does me, so it is a very important issue to me. It doesn't affect you personally apparently, as you appear to be very anti-gay, so you should focus on what does affect you. And you should not attempt to realize what others think, as you appear to be doing. It really makes you look like a small-minded fool.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I agree that gays should have all the rights afforded to straights by the government. That part of the gay rights movement is not what annoys me. What I find irritating is that the gay rights movement has gone from wanting tolerance and the same rights to everyone else actively celebrating their lifestyle. At least with the more militant gay rights advocates, it's not enough to treat gays with the dignity and respect they deserve. Rather, if you aren't actively advocating for them and celebrating their gayness, you might find yourself labeled a homophobe.
I agree that is a bit of a turn off. None of my gay friends are like that and I dont spend time around flamboyant people (gay or straight). I dont fight for the people who are out on Cedar Springs getting it from multiple people in any given weekend. I dont care much for their straight counter parts in Uptown Dallas doing the same thing. I fight for the people who are in committed relationships, want to take their relationship to the next level, and want the same rights as all of us who are in straight relationships.

I dont much care for flamoyant people whether they are gay or straight. Its the committed relationships that are worth going to bat for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas