Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I are going to relocate to Beaumont area soon. My husband will work in Port Arthur and from what i have read I just want to run away and not move at all, but it's going to be a career advance so now I am checking the other areas around.
We are currently in New England and we have a 6 year old that will start 1st grade in Sep and one infant.
I know people recommended Lumberton as being a great place for families with kids, safe and with good schools. Nederlands and Port Neches are also recommended but I read they are kind of polluted and you can smell it sometimes in the air.
Beaumont has its supporters (thanks for all your posts BobTex ) and haters
We are looking to rent first and then we'll take it from there.
I read that West of Beaumont is a nice safe area.
I am looking for information about 2 rental complexes on N Major Drive, one is West End Lodge and the other Stoneleigh. What do you know about these places? Are they OK to live there for a while with young children? I know the Beaumont schools aren't good, but the elementary school that's on N Major Dr -Curtis Elementary School-is rated 9 out of 10 on greatschools.org (Curtis Elementary School - Beaumont, Texas - TX - School overview).

What do you think?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
I don't have a lot of experience with Lumberton. I don't think I would live there and commute to Port Arthur - that's a long day; most people in that area live fairly close to work. (One of the advantages of this area - 15-30 minute commutes are typical).

Beaumont, Nederland, or Port Neches - they all stink on occasion. You get used to it. The entire area is surrounded by refineries, and you can't really get away from it. The water may also be a funny color.

Nederland and Port Neches schools are pretty good, and have been for some time, and I would recommend those to anyone. I don't have recent experience with Beaumont public schools (although I have heard very good things about St. Anne's Catholic School, if you want a private school).

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with Lumberton. I don't think I would live there and commute to Port Arthur - that's a long day; most people in that area live fairly close to work. (One of the advantages of this area - 15-30 minute commutes are typical).

Beaumont, Nederland, or Port Neches - they all stink on occasion. You get used to it. The entire area is surrounded by refineries, and you can't really get away from it. The water may also be a funny color.

Nederland and Port Neches schools are pretty good, and have been for some time, and I would recommend those to anyone. I don't have recent experience with Beaumont public schools (although I have heard very good things about St. Anne's Catholic School, if you want a private school).

Good luck!
Even the water is severely polluted ?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Even the water is severely polluted ?

No. It is just fertile. A lot of silt and organic mater coupled with plenty of sun and warmth.

It is not inviting to swim in, however there are a lot of fish and they are edible.

Also, even though many tons of chemicals are emitted into the air, there is generally a decent breeze blowing and they are dispersed.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas