Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

I get so tired of all of the "I'd consider moving to Texas, but it is so racist/red neck/bigoted/backwards, etc. Maybe Austin, but even so, it is still in Texas so tell me I won't hate myself, please" that shows up here so often.

Well, let's see what a native NYer, now living in Houston has to say on this and other subjects:

Quote:
Before I moved to Houston, I too had the misperception that the streets would be filled with cattle and everyone rode a horse or pick-up truck to their job on the ranch (the truck thing was not that far off base). New Yorkers have no idea what Texas is like so they play into the "southern stereotypes" of hillbilly.

I'll tell you a little secret. If you drive about two hours out of the Mecca that is the Five Burroughs, you will find the MOST redneck group of people that you have ever encountered in your entire life. True story: near where I grew up in Poughkeepsie, there is a town called Onion Town that most of us were too afraid to go within five feet of for fear that we would be abducted by a series of Children of the Corn types. Growing up, everyone knew about Onion Town and even knew a kid or two that lived there. Everyone in Onion Town is related through inbreeding and dentistry has not yet been invented. Lewis Black, this is also your New York. Additionally, if you drive anywhere past Albany there are only country music stations.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,625 times
Rick perry is a joke is what Lewis was saying...

Old 07-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Rick perry is a joke is what Lewis was saying...
Certainly entitled to that opinion. But bet he wishes his governor was running an $8,000,000,000 surplus.

And coming from a city that apparently is going to elect Anthony Weiner as mayor, one has to ask, who's the joke on?

Last edited by scm53; 07-19-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 PM

anthony weiner vs rick perry? sexting vs closeted homosexual who pretends to be religious... i''l take the weiner...lol

Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Commenting on the comment you quoted in the original post. I was also shocked at how crimey and rundown the outer Los Angeles areas can be (North LA county, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties). I think to every big progressive city you get a backlash like that.

Coming from Texas, I assumed that driving to the outer edges of the city would bring nice new developments. While there are lots of those around LA, you also find a lot of very crime ridden rundown areas. I wonder if that's what will happen when Texas cities like Dallas and Houston get when they get as large as NY or LA. The inner core gets too expensive. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I get so tired of all of the "I'd consider moving to Texas, but it is so racist/red neck/bigoted/backwards, etc. Maybe Austin, but even so, it is still in Texas so tell me I won't hate myself, please" that shows up here so often.

Well, let's see what a native NYer, now living in Houston has to say on this and other subjects:

Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
anthony weiner vs rick perry? sexting vs closeted homosexual who pretends to be religious... i''l take the weiner...lol
That would be sexting underaged minor girls vs. leftist fantasy:

Quote:
“I have a three-word question: How dare you?” said Owens. “I’m a parent. I’ve got two sons. I represent the Democratic party. I am outraged and disgusted by you.”

“I want to understand how you explain to us how you used a public facility to tweet offensive material to individuals who may have included minors, you did not know,” Owens went on. “You then lied about it, and tried to defend yourself, and then you come back — not even four or eight years later; you come back after two years — and you expect us to embrace you because you have good ideas?”
Doesn't look like Mr. Owens is quite as dismissive of Mr. Weiner's past as you are.

Besides, I don't even know where you got your original premise. That video mentions Rick Perry for about five seconds and not by Lewis Black. Make stuff up much?

Last edited by scm53; 07-19-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 07:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:

I don't think I'd worry too much about "I'd consider moving to Texas...etc.....we are 25 MILLION and counting.

People are moving to Texas in DROVES, and if they don't like it when they get here, there are many other places where they'd probably be much happier.

As for me, this native daughter is coming home this fall...and I can't WAIT. I've missed it SO much...and once I am there again, I don't plan to leave again (to live) EVER.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 PM

So u actually think Rick perry isn't gay? You are not from around here are you?. the lisp and effeminate manorisms usually give it away for some ppl. The constant rumors for others . My highly accurate gaydar is what makes it obvious for me...

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM

75 posts, read 173,689 times
Quote:
Besides, I don't even know where you got your original premise. That video mentions Rick Perry for about five seconds and not by Lewis Black. Make stuff up much?
The segment I saw on The Daily Show focused on Rick Perry. Rick Perry trying to poach jobs from Illinois, California and then New York. I was not offended at all and as a matter of fact, after watching the Texas legislature for the past three weeks, New York looks pretty good.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie_B View Post
The segment I saw on The Daily Show focused on Rick Perry. Rick Perry trying to poach jobs from Illinois, California and then New York. I was not offended at all and as a matter of fact, after watching the Texas legislature for the past three weeks, New York looks pretty good.
Appears he is succeeding.

Probably what has them all riled up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas