Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your tacos?
Corn tortilla 24 61.54%
Flour/flatbread tortilla 12 30.77%
picadillo 12 30.77%
carne asada 16 41.03%
carnitas 6 15.38%
suadero/brisket 3 7.69%
jamon/ham 0 0%
chorizo 8 20.51%
pollo 12 30.77%
barbacoa 10 25.64%
al pastor 9 23.08%
alambre 3 7.69%
camarones/shrimp 3 7.69%
pescado 9 23.08%
milanesa 2 5.13%
lengua 4 10.26%
tripas 1 2.56%
Other 8 20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times

Advertisements

Corn tortillas are awful. Those tiny dry ones are California things. A good taco has a flour tortilla.
Corn is only good on the cob. I don't want it in my soda and I don't want it on my taco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
EXACTLY. I doubt that many people on this thread are talking about those hard crunchy yellow "fake" taco "shells" that you buy in a store or get at a fast food restaurant.

The corn tortillas I'm talking about apparently are made out of white corn meal usually. They're smallish and soft, but they aren't floppy and fluffy like some flour tortillas. They've got a delicate taste, not a heavy one, and they are PERFECT for nestling some carne asada, green sauce, crumbled white cheese, cabbage, onion, fresh cilantro, and maybe a sliver of avocado. Topped with a squirt of fresh lime, of course.

Pass the Modelo!
Agreed. White corn tortillas are tasty thin delivery devices for smallish, delicate (like fish or pork/beef slivers) & non goopy fillings. Flour works best when going gonzo (3 ingredient breakfast) or with saucy items like carne guisado, picadillo or any multi ingredient taco. Interestingly, bean & picadillo bind each other well & go great on corn as well.

Corn also works best when doing homemade 90 second quesadillas in a fry pan. (plus you can spread a layer of leftover pica/bean paste & green crack on it if inclined).

Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,968 times
I am enjoying reading the responses - and looking up some of the choices in the poll that I have not heard of or tried yet.

I voted for "other" because my favorite is tacos al carbon, I did not see on the list. Just some seasoned chicken or beef in corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and lime...yum.

But it looks like I have many other options to try! I think I'll be searching for a place where I can get barbacoa tacos for lunch this week.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Corn tortillas are awful. Those tiny dry ones are California things. A good taco has a flour tortilla.
Corn is only good on the cob. I don't want it in my soda and I don't want it on my taco.
Corn tortillas are the conventional shell for tacos like those sold at taco carts and such in Mexico. I discovered these in the valley in Texas and I don't think they are "California things" by any means. Of course, I love the Tex-Mex flour tortilla breakfast tacos also.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:10 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
I am enjoying reading the responses - and looking up some of the choices in the poll that I have not heard of or tried yet.

I voted for "other" because my favorite is tacos al carbon, I did not see on the list. Just some seasoned chicken or beef in corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and lime...yum.

But it looks like I have many other options to try! I think I'll be searching for a place where I can get barbacoa tacos for lunch this week.
"al carbon" is similar (or the same thing) as carne asada.

One of my faves (carne guisada) isn't on the list either. Find a small mom or pop joint who uses their abuela's carne guisada recipe, it's been simmering all day in the gravy & the meat has broken down & turned to butter (& the flavors are becoming more intense)....heaven on a flour tortilla.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Snipes View Post
I can't believe corn tortilla is winning by so much. You guys might as well just go to Taco Bell...
You have obviously never had either a homemade corn tortilla (yum!) or one from a decent place other than (gag!!) Taco Bell.

I like my corn torillas either soft or fried slighly crisp--enough to form a shell to hold the filling--but not hard enough to break into pieces when you bite into it.

Like corn, homemade flour tortillas are vastly better than most bought ones.

Find a tortilleria, and you will (in most cases) get wonderful corn tortillas.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I chose corn but meaning the little soft corn tortillas from the little mom and pop places, not the crunchy ones like at Taco Bell.
Yes, Wesley is thinking about the shells.

I've given corn tortillas numerous chances, but they just aren't for me. I don't care for the taste or texture. I just prefer the smoother and richer taste of flour tortillas. When they're made with butter...even better.

I've heard people say that flour tortillas are a "Tex-Mex thing", but that's simply not true.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
I'm not Mexican so I don't understand this poll. All I know is I like my taco's pretty much any way except with sour cream.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I'm also surprised at how many people chose corn tortillas. I wonder how many of you are from South Texas because flour tortillas seem to dominate here. I only buy corn tortillas to make enchiladas.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm also surprised at how many people chose corn tortillas. I wonder how many of you are from South Texas because flour tortillas seem to dominate here. I only buy corn tortillas to make enchiladas.
I've lived in northeast Texas for twenty plus years.

I prefer corn tortillas for tacos. I like flour tortillas better for quesadillas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas