Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times

Advertisements

If San Antonio and McAllen moved to the desert, and had a child together, it would be named El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPipeFlyer View Post
I don't think of El Paso belonging to Texas or New Mexico.. I think of it as a Mexican city in the US
To me, it doesn't seem like New Mexico, Texas, or even Mexico. I sense that it has similarities to all 3, but it is its own, unique place.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Question for Texans east of the Pecos; have you been to El Paso? What were your impressions of it? Do you feel it has any Texan quintessence and characteristics like what would be found in Fort Worth or San Antonio?

If you have not been to El Paso is it on your radar at all or is it too far out there?

As a resident of New Mexico I think the city would fit very well into this state with its high desert and mountain setting and shared its history along the El Camino Real. It has Texan characteristics for sure though, and its a very friendly city. What do y'all think?
Growing up in south Texas and then living in Austin, Dallas & San Antonio, EP always seemed really desolate. I can understand how you think that it fits in more with New Mexico.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,345 times
El Paso: Culturally it seems in line with San Antonio. But that desert vibe and topography, it has much more in common with Las Cruces, Albuquerque and Tuscon. And it shares those desert realities and facts of life, I suppose. I am no big fan of the desert but it is fascinating at the same time.

As a Houstonian who's driven through El Paso many times, it is Texan. Just distant Texas.

Those West Texas summer nights...just the most delicious feeling anywhere.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:32 PM

292 posts, read 725,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've been to El Paso a handful of times, and I definitely think of it as quintessentially Texan, as much as Fort Worth or San Antonio. Texas has many faces, and El Paso is one of them. Remember, at the time of the annexation of Texas into the United States, a large part of what is now New Mexico was part of Texas.
Actually that is not true at all. Texas CLAIMED a whole swath of land east of the Rio Grande in what is now New Mexico and but had neither the people or resources to take it. That area was referred to as New Mexico even when it was part of Old Mexico, and even had it's own revolt against Mexico City at one point. I suggest you catch up on your history before general claims.

Last edited by paleo99; 10-15-2015 at 10:55 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 04:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
I would associate El Paso more with Old Mexico than New Mexico. I don't associate it as being super Texan. It is a border city. It has a not so great reputation for crime and urban decay.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:29 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
My curiosity lies is how Texans feel about El Paso since it is so far removed from the rest of the state.
Since it's so isolated from the rest of the state, I think El Paso never really crosses most Texans' minds, unless they live near it or hear something about it on their local news, or something like that.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:14 PM

346 posts, read 647,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I would associate El Paso more with Old Mexico than New Mexico. I don't associate it as being super Texan. It is a border city. It has a not so great reputation for crime and urban decay.
I don't want to trot out yet another "safest major city" link...but I do agree with the urban decay part. Unfortunately, El Paso has so little tree and plant cover, and it does have a lot of litter and just too much clutter, as well as graffiti, usually on signs pasted on billboards or other signs. Its like a "hoarder" that can't get rid of its junk. I do like the city in general though.

McAllen is similarly positioned, but just looks much better in terms of its landscaping and upkeep.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Question for Texans east of the Pecos; have you been to El Paso? What were your impressions of it? Do you feel it has any Texan quintessence and characteristics like what would be found in Fort Worth or San Antonio?

If you have not been to El Paso is it on your radar at all or is it too far out there?

As a resident of New Mexico I think the city would fit very well into this state with its high desert and mountain setting and shared its history along the El Camino Real. It has Texan characteristics for sure though, and its a very friendly city. What do y'all think?
I was really impressed by El Paso and I was shocked and surprised by how much I liked it.I think its more like the Land of Enchantment than the rest of Texas.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 PM

511 posts, read 399,874 times
I'd rather view El Paso as a typical mountainous Western city than a Texas city. There's very little Texan about this particular place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas