Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
But of course there are ALL three types of snakes in East Texas - copper heads, various other rattlesnakes including timber rattlers, and of course water moccasins - to say nothing of an occasional coral snake.
Years ago, I had an uncle who was bitten by a coral snake in his garden at Houston. He lived but, from what I've heard, he became deathly ill.

Closer to home, but not to scare Silas about snakes in the South, I also had a friend bitten on the hand by a prairie rattler near Carlsbad, NM. That bite was his fault as he was trying to collect the snake without the proper equipment. The friend also lived but lost some of the muscles in his hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
I really appreciate all the feedback...lots of good info. Its a big deal relocating , the distance we are , and Texas is so dang big and varied. Eastern Texas looks Beautiful, but the climate of western Texas sounds more appealling. At the end of the day it will be a compromise between a place that suits us best and where we can make a living.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I really appreciate all the feedback...lots of good info. Its a big deal relocating , the distance we are , and Texas is so dang big and varied. Eastern Texas looks Beautiful, but the climate of western Texas sounds more appealling. At the end of the day it will be a compromise between a place that suits us best and where we can make a living.
Oh Silas, I feel ya!

I'm originally from Burien, lived in Bellevue and still visit frequently my brother and other family. I love the gray, the mizzle, the mountains and the water. BUT...finding a job from Texas seems like a bigger mountain than Ranier. I've tried through LinkedIn, through Indeed, through some contacts...nothing. Would I love to live there? Yes...I "think" so...my brother tells me I've got a place to stay should I decide to make the leap.

But here's the thing: I also love Texas. I don't exactly "love" Dallas although it's great for tons of people. I'm not overly fond of the heat in summer, but I've got A/C in the car and the apartment and EVERYWHERE ELSE, so it's not the end of the world. My husband and I have been taking more road trips recently and rediscovering (plus discovering new) places that we've loved. And we will continue to stretch our day trips into longer ones as we branch out.

Coupla things:

1 - if you love the water that you're surrounded by in Snohomish, try to find a pretty little creek or spring fed river somewhere...that will make your transition a lot smoother...

2 - I LOVE the trees but I don't love the humidity...as many have mentioned, more trees equal more humidity...definitely visit in a warmer month and determine what you can handle...

3 - short story: hubs & I spent a weekend just outside of Glen Rose, TX (south of Ft. Worth) one very hot August...in fact, it was the hottest Dallas had seen in years...we sat out on our little cabin patio for hours because not only was the humidity not that bad, but there weren't a lot of buzzing bugs around us plus there was a badazz breeze that kept us comfortable...I've often thought THAT would be a fine place to reside...

4 - just come on down for a trip...schedule some time for each area if you can possibly manage. Spring will be unbelievable since you'll be blinded by our gorgeous bluebonnets, but don't discount the wide open spaces and the BIG BIG sky...I know they say Montana is big sky country, but then, so is Texas and it's just wonderful and humbling...

Good luck with your search. I think that I'll probably end up staying here. I have a job in Dallas that may (cross your fingers) let me telecommute, in which case, I'm on the hunt for a perfect little town with NO TRAFFIC and Sunday drivers!! I'll try to remember to share pics...may even start a blog in our search for beautiful spaces. We'll certainly have an abundance of choices!!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Well its been a bit since I have posted this......We are flying out next Tuesday to SanAntonio for my sons Graduation Ceremony from Airforce basic Training. Looks like we will have 2 days the following Mon-Tues to try to get the most bang for our buck as far as trying to see what we can in regards to my original post........ Suggestions ? Thinking heading towards Bourne and or Fredricksburg. Thanks

Old 08-10-2014, 07:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Austin traffic is terrible but from Marble Falls it would take 45 minutes or so to get to Austin.
It takes at least 57 minutes (Google Maps) when traffic is light to go from Marble Falls to downtown Austin via Hwy 71. During rush hour traffic from where Hwy 71 enters the Austin city limits to down town can take 45 minutes and more during the peak travel times. I know because I commuted that route since 1981. Same is true coming into Austin from the Northwest side, say from Burnet.

Commuting to either San Antonio or Austin along IH-35 during rush hour is pretty horrific, its a packed roadway and a tense drive.

All this is why some of the most common advice given to anyone moving to Austin is "find someplace to live close to where you work".

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-10-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Well we went down fo Sons graduation from bmt. Not to impressed with San Antonio. Loved Bourne. Went out to Castroville. Banderas was a let down.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,351,842 times
^^^ Are you drunk?

Old 10-24-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
^^^ Are you drunk?
not sure what your getting at?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well we went down fo Sons graduation from bmt. Not to impressed with San Antonio. Loved Bourne. Went out to Castroville. Banderas was a let down.
Come visit northeast Texas and Tyler. Also Fort Worth.

I love the Hill Country but it's definitely an acquired taste. I think you have to love the whole concept of Texas before you can really appreciate the Hill Country.

If Fort Worth doesn't make you love this state, you have no heart. And East Texas is beautiful (by East Texas I mean about an hour east of Dallas to the state line) - not as spectacular as parts of the Hill Country but very bucolic and pleasant in a rural, rolling farmland sort of way. If you like hay rolls in the field, longhorn cattle grazing, and prosperous farms looking out over hills and valleys, this is the area for you.

And we have lots of trees. We're also more humid than the rest of the state, so we don't have the water issues that so many other areas do have. The climate is more "Deep South" than "Texan." Lots of southern style hospitality, food, and friendliness here as well!

Tyler is a small southern city with lots of amenities and many beautiful neighborhoods - with a cosmopolitan feel that's surprising for a town of it's size, and it's also close to DFW without being embroiled in the traffic and hustle and bustle of DFW. Close but not too close.

COME ON DOWN!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:56 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
Kathryn speaks truth.

I am personally much south of her .... 80 miles from the coast and 50 miles west of the La. border. I think getting acclimated to the humidity and temps happens. Or can happen. My wife wouldn't think of leaving here and heading back to drier nd colder Canada. She likes it. The last month here has been pretty darn ideal weather wise .... temps from the low to mid eighties as highs and lows in the high 40's to mid 50's in the AM... no rain in 3 weeks (after a very wet spring and summer).

Don't rule out East Texas is the moral of my story!

Some Fall Colors from East Texas

Pics from lower East Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas