Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:35 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times

Advertisements

The above statistics kinda coincide with the National economic downturn AND real estate collapse which ran a little late into Texas. A little reading between the lines is in order here.

From 1990 until 2012 the population of Lumberton almost doubled from 6K+ to 12K.

Wonder who is moving into all those new subdivisions along US 69 (some are not technically within the city limits)? Maybe a bunch of undocumented persons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
OK, but just talking about now, last three years. Would have been great to buy in 1990 and sell before 2010. Just saying, past doesn't help sales now. I'm done.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The above statistics kinda coincide with the National economic downturn AND real estate collapse which ran a little late into Texas. A little reading between the lines is in order here.

From 1990 until 2012 the population of Lumberton almost doubled from 6K+ to 12K.

Wonder who is moving into all those new subdivisions along US 69 (some are not technically within the city limits)? Maybe a bunch of undocumented persons.
Thank you for all the advice. We have done a lot more research on the area and have decided that purchasing property in Beaumont is not a good idea, between very high TWIA windstorm insurance and the Beaumont ISD mess.

Lumberton is looking like a better bet for a home purchase in the $250k range, except there is one thing that someone told me that completely shocked me and is causing much concern.

Is there still racism in this area, particularly in Lumberton? I have never been racist, and the thought of any racism makes me sick. I was born and raised in USA and am Christian, but I am Asian and look very much Asian. Will I have any problems with racism in Lumberton? Will I even be welcome? The thought of having to deal with this makes me ill. I don't want my kids to have to deal with that, especially with bullying in school. I have no problems with people of any backgrounds, and I don't need there to be other Asians around. I just don't want people to have a problem with me because of this.

Last edited by TexasMom0714; 07-20-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMom0714 View Post
Thank you for all the advice. We have done a lot more research on the area and have decided that purchasing property in Beaumont is not a good idea, between very high TWIA windstorm insurance and the Beaumont ISD mess.

Lumberton is looking like a better bet for a home purchase in the $250k range, except there is one thing that someone told me that completely shocked me and is causing much concern.

Is there still racism in this area, particularly in Lumberton? I have never been racist, and the thought of any racism makes me sick. I was born and raised in USA and am Christian, but I am Asian and look very much Asian. Will I have any problems with racism in Lumberton? Will I even be welcome? The thought of having to deal with this makes me ill. I don't want my kids to have to deal with that, especially with bullying in school. I have no problems with people of any backgrounds, and I don't need there to be other Asians around. I just don't want people to have a problem with me because of this.
Well I am sure the usual actors will show up with tales of the KKK. Apparently at some time in the past (I've lived off and on in the AREA since the 1950's) there was an active chapter of the KKK. I have seen no evidence of them in my lifetime but that stuff hangs on just like the tales from Vidor and Jasper. I am kinda tired of whipping that dead horse but , you know, people just love drama!

The same has been said about areas of mid-county (Port Neches) especially 30 years ago. My sister adopted a Vietnamese infant in 1974 from an orphanage evacuated as Saigon was falling. She has grown up in P.N., is a teacher, and from all I can tell is well respected. There is always the chance that someone can redneck out on you or your kids but if you are a Christian then you have to recognize where the attack is coming from (evil) and deal with it in a spiritual manner.

My personal opinion is that you will be fine ... show you are a good citizen and folks will accept you well! Keep your chin up and know Who is on your side ... always.

Good luck.

Sent to you from the coolness of Halifax, NS, Can.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas