Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,649 times

Advertisements

I was born in Austria and moved to Houston in 2013. I have 2 kids and a wife who attends at an elementary school in HISD. I work at US bank off I-10 and my wife works at VA hospital. And I regret all of this. My job doesn't give me enough money and my wife is having financial problems. We are trying to sign up for food stamps and Obamacare and its a hard process. The schools are not exactly perfect but my kids are having horrible experiences there. The neighborhoods are crime poverty and my home in Austria is better than this. I am tired of the traffic everywhere, the pollution is just unpleasant. In Austria, everything was accessible and clean environment. I was expecting more. Like the homes in the woods and newly built houses with opportunities. I don't see historic places in here and Galveston is a wasteful time. How do I get over this?

Old 11-29-2014, 09:20 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,803,376 times
Sell everything and Move Back !!!

Old 11-29-2014, 12:12 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,856,500 times
What about trying a different area,of Texas? Like Kerrville or Fredericksburg in the beautiful Hill country area? About 200 miles west of Houston.

Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

You would be in between San Antonio and Austin.

Have to say I would not ever consider Houston,for the reason's you mentioned.

I wish the best for you and your family

Here is what it looks like when the Bluebonnets bloom in April!
Attached Thumbnails
I regret moving to Texas. Need help-texas-hill-country-blue_thumb.jpg  

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-29-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 12:41 PM

988 posts, read 1,830,244 times
It sounds like you need to make some changes in your life, be it to get your family somewhere else in Texas or back to Austria. Are you applying for new jobs that either bring you more money or get you moved somewhere else? Have you reached out to family or friends? Have you reached out to private social service agencies to help you out of your current situation? Have you considered a second part-time job to put away money to move? Do you have things you can sell to provide you cash to move?

Though I will probably be called a cold-hearted SOB, I will say this in truth: going down and getting Obama's handouts is not going to help you get out of Houston. It will only keep you more attached to an area you have said you are not happy.

You need to use the same ingenuity that got you from Austria to move somewhere you will by happier. Consider the above ideas or think about what it took to get here from Austria.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,958,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker0 View Post
I was born in Austria and moved to Houston in 2013.We are trying to sign up for food stamps and Obamacare and its a hard process.
Did you just move to Houston from Austria in 2013?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,778,254 times
Quote:
I was born in Austria and moved to Houston in 2013. I have 2 kids and a wife who attends at an elementary school in HISD. I work at US bank off I-10 and my wife works at VA hospital. And I regret all of this. My job doesn't give me enough money and my wife is having financial problems. We are trying to sign up for food stamps and Obamacare and its a hard process. The schools are not exactly perfect but my kids are having horrible experiences there. The neighborhoods are crime poverty and my home in Austria is better than this. I am tired of the traffic everywhere, the pollution is just unpleasant. In Austria, everything was accessible and clean environment. I was expecting more. Like the homes in the woods and newly built houses with opportunities. I don't see historic places in here and Galveston is a wasteful time. How do I get over this?
You go back home to your home in Austria is how you get over this, just like Need4Speed said.

What's the deal with all the malcontent? I just don't get it. You say you moved to Houston in 2013 and here it is the end of 2014 and rather than move back to where you came from (Austria) and say is much better, you complain and want help getting welfare.

You complain about the traffic, the pollution, the crime, well practically everything. Surely you knew approximately the size of Houston when you opted to move there. That in itself is self explanatory for so much traffic, wouldn't common sense tell you this? I'm just saying if you don't like traffic, why on earth pick Houston or any other large city?

You want to know about the nice new homes, the houses 'in the woods', the opportunities. You want more money. Are you qualified for a job paying more money? The opportunities you speak of are there, but maybe you thought they were going to just be falling in your lap? Most people work hard and make sacrifices to achieve the opportunities to make their dreams come true. Guess that doesn't like anything you might be interested in.

It sounds like you are more for instant gratification. Maybe you thought the phrase "land of the free" actually meant everything was free in America. LOL Just go put dibs on that dream home in the woods, it's all free.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Did you just move to Houston from Austria in 2013?
Interesting take and made me re-read OP's post. He doesn't explicitly say he directly immigrated from Austria to Houston, though I take it was close if not direct. I say this in his comparisons of Houston to his home in Austria.

That said, OP - did you come directly from Austria to Houston? I don't know it changes my advice much, but an interesting question.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:47 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,452,866 times
Quote:
Man Up or as we say in Texas- "Put your boots on and cowboy up"! Stop crying, this is the land of opportunities, even with the current administration. Make something out of your move to the states or get the hell out!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You go back home to your home in Austria is how you get over this, just like Need4Speed said.

What's the deal with all the malcontent? I just don't get it. You say you moved to Houston in 2013 and here it is the end of 2014 and rather than move back to where you came from (Austria) and say is much better, you complain and want help getting welfare.

You complain about the traffic, the pollution, the crime, well practically everything. Surely you knew approximately the size of Houston when you opted to move there. That in itself is self explanatory for so much traffic, wouldn't common sense tell you this? I'm just saying if you don't like traffic, why on earth pick Houston or any other large city?

You want to know about the nice new homes, the houses 'in the woods', the opportunities. You want more money. Are you qualified for a job paying more money? The opportunities you speak of are there, but maybe you thought they were going to just be falling in your lap? Most people work hard and make sacrifices to achieve the opportunities to make their dreams come true. Guess that doesn't like anything you might be interested in.

It sounds like you are more for instant gratification. Maybe you thought the phrase "land of the free" actually meant everything was free in America. LOL Just go put dibs on that dream home in the woods, it's all free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Man Up or as we say in Texas- "Put your boots on and cowboy up"! Stop crying, this is the land of opportunities, even with the current administration. Make something out of your move to the states or get the hell out!
Shoot...and here I thought I would be the cold-hearted one but instead was the relative soft touch...

Old 11-29-2014, 06:02 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,603,317 times
Quote:
my home in Austria is better than this.

In Austria, everything was accessible and clean environment.

How do I get over this?
Easy. Either move back to Austria, or find a city in America that most closely resembles wherever in Austria it is that you're from, and move there.

It's really simple... If you're miserable and full of regret over where you currently live, be it Houston or anywhere else... then you get up and MOVE. No one is forcing you to stay there, are they? I've been moving all over this country for the last 30 years. Some of the places I've lived, I really despised... so I moved the **** out of there. Problem solved.

I'm not trying to be mean or snarky here, but come on. Unless you have a felony record, you're free to move wherever you want in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas