Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,886 times

Advertisements

Currently Ive been accepted to Sul Ross university with a generous scholarship. Coming from Dallas originally and then moving to Austin 3 years ago I obviously have a few hesitations and questions.

1. Does anyone have experience moving out there? About how long did it take you to find housing? From what I can tell there is little to no renter's market... Did you have to buy?

2. Cost of living... I have visited this area many times but only as a "tourist." Is the cost of living similar to the rest of Texas? Or is there a slight increase due to the remote location?

3. What do you do when/ if you get bored?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatadelena View Post
Currently Ive been accepted to Sul Ross university with a generous scholarship. Coming from Dallas originally and then moving to Austin 3 years ago I obviously have a few hesitations and questions.

1. Does anyone have experience moving out there? About how long did it take you to find housing? From what I can tell there is little to no renter's market... Did you have to buy?

2. Cost of living... I have visited this area many times but only as a "tourist." Is the cost of living similar to the rest of Texas? Or is there a slight increase due to the remote location?

Thanks in advance!!
You've been accepted to SRSU--but you haven't looked into their housing options?

Residential Living FAQs | Sul Ross State University

I'm not a student, but an oldie retiree. I had friends who attended Sul Ross MANY years ago, and they loved it.

The cost of living in Alpine itself is substantially higher than the rest of Texas. And it's not what I consider a "slight increase." If you have to buy groceries to do your own cooking and such, expect it to be even worse. There is only one grocery store here (one owner, two locations), and you are gouged accordingly.

Rentals are not all that abundant, but as a student, you have a lot of options.

There are always community activities--Cowboy Poetry is coming up soon, and there is ArtWalk, etc. Depends on what your tastes are, but there is always something going on somewhere in one of the four area towns.

You will find it starkly different from Dallas/Austin. I lived in Midland for 30 years--and I know I will never be able to adjust back down to very small-town living. Miracles do happen every once in awhile, but.....

As a student, you should have plenty to occupy your time. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:50 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatadelena View Post

Thanks in advance!!
You applied to Sul Ross before doing research about what there is to do and finding more about the area? Good plan

If you are into outdoors - you are in for a treat. If you are into Austin-like living, I would stay where I am - Alpine and Austin couldn't be more different if they tried.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:05 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Oh good gracious, go and have a wonderful time! What is life without new experiences? Ignore boring stick in the muds.

I lived there so long ago that I can't offer current advice, but it looks like the local newspaper the Alpine Avalance still exists, and it's classifieds are on-line and some rentals are listed. Alpine Avalanche - Classifieds. And here's SRSU's off-campus housing guide: Off Campus Living Guide | Sul Ross State University

When I lived there my rent for a small apartment above a garage was $175 a month!!! I loved my years in Alpine, it was a great experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas