Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 16,615 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to Texas and forums (so please bear with me!)

My boyfriend and I currently live in Canada, and were *thinking* of purchasing some property or a home to spend winters (where we are it gets to minus 40 degrees celcius!) and we love the heat! In two weeks he is going on a roadtrip to check out many of the towns such as: corpus christie, Harlingen, S.Padre Island, Brownsville, etc.. (and visit his grandmother who spends winters in mercedes).

This is his first time to Texas (we couldn't be more excited!!) So his plan is to drive all along to these towns and get a feel for each town, and arrange to meet up with a real estate agent to check out properties. This website is soo helpful! and I am hoping to get some insight on these towns for seasonal living. Which area's are desirable to rent out a home in the summer months? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are a couple in our 20's, hoping to find a home near the beautiful ocean in a safe area. Which town do you think would best suit us?

We love country music, the outdoors/nature, the heat, everything about Texas seems incredible! I can hardly wait.

Thanks a million for any advice!

Christa

Ps. what is the weather like in winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
The temp averages 21 C as a high and 10 C as a low in the dead of winter... so it's much warmer than -40, but it's not what I would describe as hot either.

Here's a website with monthly averages:

Monthly Weather Forecast for Harlingen, TX - weather.com

Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
I have family in south Texas and quite frankly, I don't think you'll have any takers for a summer rental, unless you buy something on South Padre.

The "Winter Texans" that come down live in their retirement houses during the winter and then just leave them vacant during the summer. You might want to contact a realtor in the area you are looking at to get their point of view as well.

Last edited by Spree; 01-21-2008 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
dont expect to hear much country music down there. you will most likely hear more tejano.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
But isn't Tejano considered Mexican-Texan country music? Didn't it get its influence from German Texans as well (accordian)?

Sounds pretty ''Texan'' to me.....

Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 PM

176 posts, read 631,950 times
The only parts of S. TX with real beaches/view of the ocean (well, the gulf), are from the barrier islands (mustang, padre, south padre). The inland waters are just lagoons. Not much country music in most of south TX. You'd probably like the weather (I'm from OR and loved it...not too hot, cool some days). Outdoors/nature is available somewhat, but very "civilized." Car trails, go down to the beach on the car, etc...not very rugged or natural, and the pretty spots you have to look for a bit.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
yes but "most" people who mention "country music" and NOT specifically "Tejano", mean country music in the traditional Nashville and/or Texas folk/swing sense...the kind of music you can two step to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
But isn't Tejano considered Mexican-Texan country music? Didn't it get its influence from German Texans as well (accordian)?

Sounds pretty ''Texan'' to me.....

Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,318 times
Be sure to map out your route ahead of time. Not much in Texas is close together and you might have more driving than you bargained for. (Much like Canada in that respect. )

Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
yes but "most" people who mention "country music" and NOT specifically "Tejano", mean country music in the traditional Nashville and/or Texas folk/swing sense...the kind of music you can two step to.
Did you ever listen to any of the Tejano? Have you noticed that some of it has exactly the same beat as good ole Texas Honky-Tonk??

I love it all!! Tejano, Texas honky-tonk, Texas Swing, Mariachi, etc!!!

But I hate what passes for "country" today, 90% of it.

I miss the old honkytonk/swing and the "Bakersfield (CA) Sound" of Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, et al. That's why I love "Willie's Place" on XM radio. They play all those old goodies....

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM

10 posts, read 16,615 times
Hey everyone thanks for the reply. I think he is doing it over a 2 week span, to get a chance to properly explore. In regards to country music - we love it all, especially the old classic kinds, like merle haggard, johnny cash, dwight yoakum, etc and Xm radio-willie's place is awesome~!!

Thanks again, and i'll let you know how the travels go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas