Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'm 25% Spanish (from Spain like Antonio Banderas), 72% other S/W European (UK/Irish/Italian/French), and ~3% Native American. I don't speak Spanish, have fair skin with a small amount of tanning capability, brown hair & eyes that glow lighter in the sun. I have always been classified as white without question. It sounds like maybe this was in error. How many government grants have I missed out on??
There is a semantics issue here that creates an "overlap" problem, having just gone through checking some boxes. White says "peoples of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa." Hispanic says "peoples of central and South America as well as other Hispanic groups." Technically, a Spaniard is in Group 1...clearly a Caucasian.

Checking a minority box would be kind of "off base" here since a Portuguese (to your left) and an Italian, where my Mom and Dad are from, (to your right) can't check these boxes. Now, an Argentinian or Uruguayan could check these boxes. I've been there twice. Practically every last one of them traces their ancestry to Spain or Italy...I must have looked like the natives as I was asked for directions, LOL. They would bristle at being considered a minority, though, especially the proud Argentinians (fun people, though). However, I suppose some could secretly "double dip" and get the advantages of affirmative action.

I think the Hispanic designation was really intended to protect those of an indigenous North/Central/South American bloodline as opposed to those who clearly trace their ancestry to Europe. Also, why is there no protection for similar Brazilians? Some clearly trace their ancestry in its entirety to Portugal while others trace their ancestry to indigenous South American stock and/or to Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
that i could see

but i'm just curious how the census qualifies someone as hispanic, even if they are so far removed from the culture.

if your black, but your kids marries a white person, and their kid, and their kid, 3 or 4 generations down, i doubt their great great great great great grandkid is considered black

but it seems like he WOULD be considered hispanic

I think that's termed Octorune (spelling??) Very stunning skin color.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 PM

418 posts, read 367,376 times
All of you should read the forum attached to these posts. They will be very valuable and informative in regard the the integrity of the term Hispanic. It will answer the term Hispanic and explain why and how the term was craftily implemented in 1970. I explain the history and the probability of the future of the absolving of the term. The term isn't recognized internationally. I don't want to keep a debate going on several boards though, because I don't got the time. If any of you are interested, please post, vote or what ever.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...macy-term.html

Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
washingtonpost.com

Given the high rate of intermarriage between Latinos and members of other ethnic groups, many descendants of today's Latinos may not even identify themselves as such.

thats what I'm talking about right there. How much intermarriage has to take place before your no longer "Hispanic"?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Based on the current definition, you will always be technically hispanic. It may be a bad definition, but it is reality, as far as I can tell. As for when you stop calling yourself hispanic? Whenever you feel like it.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
a person who has an Hispanic surname, has Hispanic features can call himself or herself what ever he or she pleases--but be prepared to be catagorized as Hispanic by others who don't know you or your wishes personally
My husband works in downtown FTW and has a young woman working for him with Hispanic surname (because she married a Tex-Mex guy) but her maiden name was Hispanic originally--she is from New Mexico--she has classic Hispanic features -- but speaks no Spanish--and does not consider herself Hispanic--
her aunt who also worked there had no Hispanic surname because she married an Anglo-American with German heritage and yet she spoke Spanish--and considered herself Hispanic in background
go figure

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
I'm 1/8 Hispanic (great grandmother), don't consider myself so, and have a French last name. However, in the eyes of the government my side business qualifies as a minority business enterprise (1/8 being the limit of race dilution), so I am happy to be considered a minority. Interestingly enough, my birth certificate says "Latin American" (Hispanic didn't exist in the early 70s I guess) because the nurse that filled out the paperwork knew my great grandmother and put her ethnicity down.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Manu Ginobelli is of Italian descent not Hispanic

Old 02-16-2008, 08:30 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
The city of New Orleans and Louisiana in particular of mix races from Hispanic to creole. For instant Suzanne Malveux,CNN newscaster , Bryant Gumbel and Ray Nagin are black creoles from New Orleans. Xavier Cugat of New Orleans is hispanic. Beyonce of Houston is Black creole spanish. In New Orleans you can't always tell black from white or hispanic from blacks. the same for the creole who have immigrated to Houston

Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 PM

327 posts, read 755,314 times
Being someone who's half Mexican/Caucasian, I've always considered myself Tex/Mex. It's not just a type of food

I have found that when I've worked in little whitewashed towns, most people looked at me as a Mexican looking guy or just a Mexican. When I've been in/worked in diverse towns and cities, most folks looked at me as white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: