Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM

52 posts, read 139,210 times

Advertisements

OK Bowie but I can't find a place with a rodeo during my stay from 9 to 24 April....I tryed with google but all the rodeos are on summer or befor April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_girl View Post
OK Bowie but I can't find a place with a rodeo during my stay from 9 to 24 April....I tryed with google but all the rodeos are on summer or befor April.
Ah, I guess that would be a problem. It does appear that the big indoor rodeos happen in the winter and the outdoor season happens in the summer. April is probably a busy time of year for ranchers, so they aren't as free to participate in rodeos.

While a rodeo is the best way to meet cowboys, you've gotten some other good suggestions in this thread. If you find that you like Texas when you're here in April, maybe you can make a return visit sometime to catch a rodeo?

Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
Check this web site. About halfway down the page is a rodeo in Mesquite beginning April 4.
Mesquite Championship Rodeo :: Mesquite, Texas

Old 02-11-2008, 05:28 PM

And this site shows some college rodeos during the time you are here:
Texas Tech Rodeo : Calendar (http://www.orgs.ttu.edu/tturodeoassociation/calendar.html - broken link)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
ok--I don't know how many of you posting these recommendations have ever taken them yourselves but anyone trying to get on the King Ranch without an invitation will likely be shot or turned away with a rude warning--same with most of the real working ranches in TX--they aren't dude ranches

there are few cowboys in Luckenback--it started out as a German farming community has a dance hall and that is about it and the cowboys are more like bankers from Fredericksburg or real estate people from San Antonio who drive up for the dances...--

big Rodeos are where you meet rodeo competitors--some of them have never worked on a ranch or been a cowboy in their lives--they are businessmen and athletes in a very dangerous sport...rodeos in smaller towns like at county fairs w/local riders would be more likely to be real cowboys...but they don't happen in April

this is link to page with list of April PRCA rodeos in TX

PRCA Rodeo Schedule for April

you would have more luck seeing cowboys if you went to the cutting horse exhibitions since many of those people actually raise cutting horses and have cattle ranches...

Old 02-12-2008, 02:52 PM

52 posts, read 139,210 times
A rodeo is a show and it should not be very difficult to find. Thks for all the websites you show me.

I would like to make an approximative schedule of our trip around Texas. As I told you, we arrive in Houston Int'l Airport on the 9th of April in the beg of the afternoon. Time to go through the Immigration office, to pick up our baggages and to go to Alamo Rent a car to take our car, it will be abour 4 or 5 PM.
Houston is a big city and I'd rather to drive one or two hours to find an hotel in a quiet town.
Do I have to drive north to be on the way to go to Amarillo and then visit the west ( including Big Bend NP) taking in mind that maybe I will not have enought time to visit cowboys area ?
or do I have to go straight to the west with the possibility to have not enough time to see Amarillo and the Quarter-Horse Museum ?

I would like also to visit Dallas if tou tell me it cold be a good idea (the street, the building from where JFK has been shot to pay homage to him).

Amarillo because it's the QH city but maybe it is a little bit to far...

El Paso because that sounds well to me....Am I right ?

Lajitas because it's at the edge of Rio Grande, Big Bend, Mexico.

Luckenbach because of this country song "Luckenbach Texas"

Bandera because it is the cowboys capital of the world

Now you know me, could you help me to plan my way ?
What is the most appropriate trip around Texas within fifteen days ?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Minniemouse, who visited from Italy, has a post on here about where they went and the days, I think.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Texas is huge, and it will take every bit of 15 days to cover all of that. Both Amarillo and El Paso are a long way from Houston. I will get some exact mileage for you.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_girl View Post
Do I have to drive north to be on the way to go to Amarillo and then visit the west ( including Big Bend NP) taking in mind that maybe I will not have enought time to visit cowboys area ?
or do I have to go straight to the west with the possibility to have not enough time to see Amarillo and the Quarter-Horse Museum ?

I would like also to visit Dallas if tou tell me it cold be a good idea (the street, the building from where JFK has been shot to pay homage to him).

Amarillo because it's the QH city but maybe it is a little bit to far...

El Paso because that sounds well to me....Am I right ?

Lajitas because it's at the edge of Rio Grande, Big Bend, Mexico.

Luckenbach because of this country song "Luckenbach Texas"

Bandera because it is the cowboys capital of the world

Now you know me, could you help me to plan my way ?
What is the most appropriate trip around Texas within fifteen days ?
You have quite an ambitious trip planned....Texas is huge, and here is what you are looking at mileage/km-wise from Houston, round numbers (ignoring the fact that you will be making a triangle, more or less):

Big Bend National Park: At least 635 miles or 1022km
Amarillo: 600 miles/966km
El Paso: 740 miles/1191km
Bandera: 245 miles/395km
Dallas: About the same as Bandera.

I cannot imagine covering all of that in two weeks, unless you want to spend most of your time in a car traveling. It would be easier to plan your trip or give you some pointers if you tell us what you would MOST want to see.

Leaving out either Amarillo......or Big Bend.....would make the trip more realistic. It's certainly possible to cover all of these, but.....

Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 9,225 times
Default Ranches in Texas

Check into the Midland, Amarillo, Big Springs, Abilene area of West Texas. There is a lot on Indian history there. At Colorado City, Texas, between Abilene and Big Springs, there is an old indian trail from Mexico to the north. Lone Wolfe mountain was the camping spot in that area for the indians because it was on a hill and they could see for extremely long distances. Also the river to the south of Colorado city, still has buffalo tracks in the rock were the buffalo walked. There is also the remains, or was a few years ago, of an old fort, near Lone Wolfe Mountain. Go to your library and see if you can find information on Chief Lone Wolfe. It is very interesting. Oh, yea, Abilene was one of the rail depots for shipping cattle. Just FYI. Tommy Lee Jones, the actor, reportedly owns a large ranch around San Saba, Texas, where he raises and trains polo ponies, brings down the polo team each year from Harvard for taining. Happy hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas