Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 04:37 AM

95 posts, read 77,055 times

Advertisements

For example, a job in Harlingen that requires a degree, would I need to know Spanish.

It's a social work job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:34 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
For a social work job in the Rio Grande Valley, you'd absolutely need to know Spanish. It would most likely be the only language most of your clients speak.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
The job posting will tell you. RGV residents of a newer generation all speak English. It's when you encounter some of the older folks that you may encounter people the don't speak English. What type of social work?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 AM

245 posts, read 236,277 times
I get that they want to hire people who are bilingual, but how can they REQUIRE you to speak Spanish in the US to be hired. Especially if it is a job working for a government agency.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:52 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
I get that they want to hire people who are bilingual, but how can they REQUIRE you to speak Spanish in the US to be hired. Especially if it is a job working for a government agency.
Fun fact: Neither the US nor Texas has an official language.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:22 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:

People can always not hire you, and never tell you the real reason.

You know all the examples:

Your a single man. Employer wants to hire a married man with children. Yes, you want know ANY of this. So yes employers can still discriminate without you knowing it, of course.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:20 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
I'm a transplanted M******* to San Antonio, which is 62% Hispanic. The short answer is NO. There are plenty of people in San Antonio who are Hispanic and don't even know Spanish. However, what the previous posters have said, it depends on your field. Harlingen is probably the least Hispanic of the cities in the RGV (about 75%, give or take) due to the high percentage of snowbirds. In social work, I would that you would need to know it. I'm surprised that they did not specify.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
That could also require you to know French, German, Fortran, or Java. They could require just about anything other than you age, gender, race, or religion (I think that is essentially all?). Not really all that odd.....

Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
That could also require you to know French, German, Fortran, or Java. They could require just about anything other than you age, gender, race, or religion (I think that is essentially all?). Not really all that odd.....
I get a private company can require whatever they want. I am talking about a US governmental agency. To require someone to speak Spanish in the US of A, seems odd at best, discrimination at worst.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I'm a transplanted M******* to San Antonio, which is 62% Hispanic. The short answer is NO. There are plenty of people in San Antonio who are Hispanic and don't even know Spanish. However, what the previous posters have said, it depends on your field. Harlingen is probably the least Hispanic of the cities in the RGV (about 75%, give or take) due to the high percentage of snowbirds. In social work, I would that you would need to know it. I'm surprised that they did not specify.
You are correct. Half of that 62% of SA Hispanics don't even know Spanish, or at the very least are not fluent in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas