Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Wow..what a difference in weather going on here in the DFW area..don't float away Mom and we'll try not to slide off the roads over here!
So true. Right now where I am the rain/drizzle has finally stopped and the roads are drying in front of the house. GOOD! It is cold but not freezing (I always know when it gets close to or below freezing as the freeze protection for the pool kicks on). Last I looked it was 36 about an hour or so ago. Cold but not "freezing". Texas and even the Dallas metroplex sit in so many wave/jet/front patterns that it varies greatly from one spot to the next. For instance my sis in McKinney can get snow while we never see so much as a cloud. Denton and up where you are can have pretty bad ice and we are dry as a bone. Then as mentioned yesterday, one poster said I could simply "open a window" for air. LOL!!! Hard to do when there is no "air" moving outside, it is raining nonstop and the humidity level was VERY HIGH!! It was higher than a typical hot summer August day - YUCK. Soup was the best word to describe it. You HAD to have the a/c on in the car otherwise your windows would fog up. Now THAT would make for some interesting driving . So knowing how different the weather in Dallas & Texas can be from one spot to the next as I have experienced in my life it really makes me crack up as someone left me a "negative remark" that I "denies weather issues!!". LOL!!!! Too funny, really. I'll be straight up, it gets hot here. It gets bad weather but overall it is better than a lot of places. But that I deny the weather, LOL!!!

BTW, I noticed on the news tonight that MANY area churches had already cancelled all Sunday services. Watch as always everyone cancel everything and the roads end up being clear. Wishful thinking... as it does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
Glad to hear you are all alright.

Does Texas ever have freezing pipes? Two days now and our water is frozen. We waited till 12:00 to finally get water.

Neighbor had his well burst yesterday. It drained it dry. Of course they were gone all day and didn't see the fountain of youth. What a surprise when they wake up this morning to no water. That is not to funny.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I am in the Panhandle, and not happy today! Stuck in all day yesterday, and more of same today. Will attempt to get out, but if anything is slick, will get right back indoors. I am a wimp when it comes to ICE!! Is in the 20s here, not too windy thankfully, but snow flurries flying lightly.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Here is an update from my neck of the woods. Last night we never really got below freezing. No ice on the roads, lawn, house, cars, nothing. We were out last night near the Dallas Arboretum and came home around 8 and the roads were just wet. It stopped raining and the roads dried up around the house and then about 9 this morning it started to rain a bit off and on and has all day. We went to church and it was a pretty big crowd today considering the weather. No ice encountered at all along the way. I did check out some pics that people have posted on the news websites (wfaa.com & nbc5i.com if you want to see what it looks like in the area) and many had ice in other areas but northeastern and eastern Dallas county were free and clear. This morning on the weather they made a very good point, the ground in many areas was still very warm and very wet so if any freezing rain did fall it may not stick or freeze. Late this afternoon on the weather they did say that it is supposed to get colder but we have not been below 34 all day. 940, how has it been today where you are?

For those interested in moving to Texas this is the prime example of how extreme our weather can be in just a few miles from each other. You know that line of where it starts and stops has to be somewhere . With this storm I ended up on the wet side of it w/ no ice or freezing stuff yet. I have always told parents on the kids team that I coached that if it is raining at your house it may not be at the fields and unless you hear from me it is still "game on". I remember one time at our house it was raining and not even a half mile down the road at our practice field it was dry and never did rain. LOL!!! I'm just hoping all of this rain is raising the water levels on the area lakes.

Anyway, I recommend that those interested in moving here check out those news sites and see the weather pictures that have been submitted.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 AM

Ice and Sun. I see the sun, I SEE THE SUN!!! We finally got some ice. Not a lot but some. Last night (Sunday night) a huge system of freezing rain was moving across the metroplex, my parents and my sis all got hit by it. It was headed our way and the next thing you know it went straight north. Totally missed us by about 3 miles. YIPPIE!!!! Temp started dropping to below freezing late last night here. Freezing rain started coming down about 5:30 this morning (glad school was out to start with, whew). Did not last long. Small patches of ice on a few things and the roads but not much really. I'm sure the area overpasses are icy w/ all of the rain we have had. Sun is out so I am sure it will melt what little patches of ice we got. By looking at the pictures online and seeing the news it looks like my little piece of the metroplex escaped the brunt of this storm. Whew. Now I have no excuse to not take my oldest to the mall....... urgh. These girls, shop, shop, shop. No matter the weather.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:28 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Hey Mom, glad you escaped the brunt of it. Alas, I think we were in it for most of the weekend. We had more ice on and off yesterday just adding to what we received Saturday. Temp sat pretty much at about the 32 degree mark and then started dropping so that when the precip started again last night, we were sitting at about 29-30. This morning was a winter wonderland here with ice in all the trees, all over the deck, etc. It was beautiful but cold..23 here..it's now sitting at 28 at about 1.30 pm.

My parents are down in San Antonio and they're at 32 now with a chance of sleet and snow tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night. It won't amount to much so they say, but even a little bit in Central and South Texas causes the whole world to go topsy turvy down there!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 PM

BRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Just checked, we are at 35 degrees and sunny skies w/ a few clouds. Hubby is at the office and headed home. He said roads were clear and none of our drivers encountered many problems today, whew. We are headed to the Stars game, more ice as they have a day game today. WOO-HOO!!! I'll see how the main roads are myself. yippie

Hope you have electricity. Not too much damage in the area? Good luck and stay inside in the warmth. Hot chocolate w/ a shot of peppermint shnapps sounds good. LOL!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:59 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Hope you have electricity. Not too much damage in the area? Good luck and stay inside in the warmth. Hot chocolate w/ a shot of peppermint shnapps sounds good. LOL!!!
No problem with electricity...and just a few small tree branches down around here. Haven't ventured out today to look around though. Even though it's cold, the little bit of sun is helping to melt some of the ice on the deck and the wind helps to evaporate the roads so things are slowly getting back to normal. And we're never without a fully stocked bar here..lol

Old 01-15-2007, 07:41 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
So, tell me how are your pipes doing? Over 200 people here where I live have had busted pipes including us and they have their pumps break on their wells. Any of you having this problem?

Tonight it will be 19 degrees. Remember to let you faucet drip all nite. Oh what a job this is going to be when we start fixing them. ):

Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM

71 posts, read 346,208 times
Hi from West Texas in El Paso here. It's been really cold all day and I checked right now it is 28 degrees on my patio. It is dry but I am not used to this kind of cold weather anymore. I am German but I am so spoiled living in El Paso

We have a small pond and the water is still running and our Koi are ok. Any Koi pond people from the area here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas