Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 AM

89 posts, read 79,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
Again, pound for pound, when one takes into account every level of its retail, there isn't another market in the world that can match the prowess of Dallas. There are very few places on earth where one can find a Highland Park Village, a Neiman Marcus matched up with a NorthPark Center, a Forty-Five-Ten matched up with a Neiman Marcus, and a Stanley Korshak located within The Crescent of Uptown as the largest independent luxury department store in the nation.

In contrast, Houston has the Houston Galleria. The River Oaks District is still a baby and still needs to earn its spurs
In reality, Dallas' "prowess" is beneath NYC, LA, Miami, San Francisco and Chicago...in reality. And the Houston Galleria trumps NorthPark: another new luxury wing opened at the Galleria on Thursday. River Oaks District, Highland Park Village, and Americana at Manhasset are comparable...although HPV is trying to regroup since the stunning River Oaks District made its grand entrance. However, all three of those are trumped by Bal Harbour Shops. And Stanley Korshak is great, but its no Saks Fifth Avenue.

New York City Glamour Arrives at Houston's Galleria: Swanky, Stunning Changes Unveiled - PaperCity Magazine

Last edited by BCLRRE; 12-17-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 06:55 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
this thread is about Dallas vs Houston retail - not other markets

Old 12-17-2016, 09:27 AM

254 posts, read 191,858 times
Default One has to rethink luxury when shopping in Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLRRE View Post
In reality, Dallas' "prowess" is beneath NYC, LA, Miami, San Francisco and Chicago...in reality. And the Houston Galleria trumps NorthPark: another new luxury wing opened at the Galleria on Thursday. River Oaks District, Highland Park Village, and Americana at Manhasset are comparable...although HPV is trying to regroup since the stunning River Oaks District made its grand entrance. However, all three of those are trumped by Bal Harbour Shops. And Stanley Korshak is great, but its no Saks Fifth Avenue.

New York City Glamour Arrives at Houston's Galleria: Swanky, Stunning Changes Unveiled - PaperCity Magazine
At this point, it is difficult to continue on about Dallas retail without it sounding like bragging. Preston Center, the Plaza at Preston Center (University Park) Inwood Village, The Miracle Mile (again in University Park), Snider Plaza (University Park), and Highland Park Village are all long established shopping centers in Dallas with very little real estate left to expand. However, Highland Park Village has found room to undergo a 100,000 square foot expansion. Still, this whole area along with an area of luxury vehicle dealerships located along Lemmon Avenue are being supercharged by Love Field airport. Folks in Dallas like to complain about restrictions being placed on further expansion by these shopping centers quantitively speaking. However.one has to marvel how such repression enacted upon is going to have the effect of pushing up their quality. As a result, good arguments can be made for estblishing luxury retail in any of these shopping centers.

Yet, aside from Highland Park Village, these shoppng centers are considered second tier in Dallas. They are a match for all those nice stores you mention in Houston outside of the Houston Galleria.

Simliarly, the way each have developed, it is difficult imagining that luxury retail shops won't one day be established in the Dallas Design District and The Dallas Arts District. After all, Ray Washburne of Highland Park Village fame has become a big investor in the future of the Dallas Design District while the Dallas Arts District is the perfect fit for a flagship luxury boutique or two.

Likewise, how can the area of Knox Henderson be denied?

Well, this is sounding too much like bragging.

The point is there isn't enough luxury retail in the world to stock all these prime areas of Dallas. So Dallas has always resorted to growing its own. To find them, one has to ask locals. Look for the stores which stock merchandise from around the world. These are so plentiful and fiercely competitive that prices are kept low as a result.

Again, Love Field airport is the catalyst for this phenomenon of retail in central Dallas.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
OP, I have a genuine question. Why do you care so much about luxury retail, almost to the point of sounding vapid?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Let me ask you this, OP. If Dallas luxury retail were that much better than Houston'a, then how come Dallas has yet to land a Dolce & Gabbana? Prada boutique? Rolex boutique? NARS? The list goes on. I mean, I'm not here to argue Dallas isn't a great retail hotspot. Because it is. But if Dallas were truly way over Houston as you say, Dallas would get all the flagships Houston gets.

Sure, Dallas has more luxury corridors, but the one major corridor Houston has is bigger than all of the ones in Dallas so it doesn't matter.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
OP, I have a genuine question. Why do you care so much about luxury retail, almost to the point of sounding vapid?
The obsession is not so much about luxury retail (as that's pretty much clearly a tie/draw to anyone who's realistic and sane); it's really severe anti-Houston sentiment, but they're using luxury retail as their latest proxy; they feel it's all they have left to try to "beat" Houston at, lol. It's the classic little annoying sister, big brother meaningless rivalry, that these Dallas people won't stop.

The constant Dallas going against Houston is sooo futile. Again, which is insane, as both cities are about the same. As Trump would say, "Sad." Sad indeed, as Houston is expanding with even more gobs of luxury retail in 2017, and is projected to soon become America's 3rd-largest city. Can you imagine the insane ridiculous posts then?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Let me ask you this, OP. If Dallas luxury retail were that much better than Houston'a, then how come Dallas has yet to land a Dolce & Gabbana? Prada boutique? Rolex boutique? NARS? The list goes on. I mean, I'm not here to argue Dallas isn't a great retail hotspot. Because it is. But if Dallas were truly way over Houston as you say, Dallas would get all the flagships Houston gets.

Sure, Dallas has more luxury corridors, but the one major corridor Houston has is bigger than all of the ones in Dallas so it doesn't matter.
Agreed. It's like: do you want a dollar, or four quarters.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
After living in both and having friends in the fashion industry, yes Dallas is a more high end fashion market than Houston.

But honestly, is there much of anything you can't find in either? The Global Fashion Monitor ranks Dallas 20th worldwide and Houston 30th worldwide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_capital

Old 12-17-2016, 11:05 AM

Dallas fancies itself as a fashion insider, whereas Houston, with its heavy international traffic, does great volumes of retail, especially on the luxury end, which continues to expand by leaps and bounds.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I'm a little puzzled by the notion that "Love Field airport is the catalyst for this phenomenon of retail in central Dallas". I agree that LF is a great amenity, especially being so close-in. Plus, it has sort-of easy access to DART rail (via a shuttle bus).

Also, the growth of retail (high-end or otherwise) in downtown D is good for me as a visitor, as well as for locals.

However ... 92% of the passenger load (as of October) at LF is served by SW, which doesn't strike me as the airline for the "high-end-retail" kind of people. I'm not trying to quibble, and maybe my assumption is wrong. I can imagine that affluent people from adjacent states might fly into Dallas on SW to go shopping. So, maybe that's a partial explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas