Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Eh, support here is lukewarm. But a lot of Texans are gonna be happy paying a lot more for goods with the import tax Trump is proposing. We buy a lot of Mexican goods, so basically we're gonna be paying for the wall, not Mexico.
Shhhhhhh!!! We're not supposed to be smart enough to figure that out! We're supposed to dumb enough to believe that this is President Trump making Mexico pay for the wall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:58 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
"Texas" consists of millions of people. So no, not all of the millions of people in the state support the stupid wall idea. There probably isn't even a majority in favor of it, despite the noise of lunatics on soapboxes.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:20 PM

716 posts, read 539,300 times
Since this state voted Red and the majority of the elected members to congress and are two senators are republican its clear your guess that the majority is in not in favor is unfounded - not well thought out polls clearly indicted that the majority want border control - using walls - fences and armed boarder patrol -

to say the land owner on the boarder dont want the wall is untrue and false - interview after interview with them clearly shows they want the fence -wall too - they are losing cattle, being robbed, can't even ride -drive on the property

your response is not based on facts it's emotional response because as i stated before its easy to be a bleeding heart liberal - its hard to be a conservative - sure is easy to say no walls when its not your land or life thats being threatned

Old 01-27-2017, 09:25 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The border between Texas and Mexico is the Rio Grande. Don't expect any building to occur here.
There are several hundred miles of wall already in Texas, mostly from El Paso and stretching east. This is exactly where the building will occur. It will be not along the river, but north of the river some distance...1/2 mile, mile, it will vary. Right across landowners' property, which is one of my issues with it - it will destroy beautiful land and views across the river for little real benefit.

Quote:
The very first step will be impact studies, engineering, etc... Then the access roads will follow. Then expect the wall after that. If they fast track it perhaps they could turn dirt by 2018.
The last time something like this happened - 2008, Bush leaving office with plans for border wall expansion, Obama coming in - pretty much all federal and state requirements were waived by Homeland Security to ensure the work got done. I work in environmental permitting with clients that helped build that section. The plans from then are 'scaleable' and I would not be surprised if they were just used for additional wall segments.

The wall was 4 inch square steel 'pipe, about 30' long (can't remember exactly). 6' or so anchored in concrete trench and 24' above grade. Spaced 6 or 8" apart. GE made a killing on the steel sales to US government. Immigrants brought ('rented') ladders or went around or under (mainly drug dealers made the tunnels). Sections were cut down by torch - one or two poles makes a good sized opening. My clients made lots of money digging trenches, pouring concrete, and hauling steel.
I should go dig up the 2008 memo, let me go find it.

Ugh, can't do PDF and don't want to convert to image, here is the txt conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Waiver.txt (7.4 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-27-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 09:34 PM

hmm destroy beautiful land vs- allow thousands of illegals coming here - many with drugs - many that will kill or assault us? you actually think under eminent domain they won't be reimbursed? maybe not a wall but a fence with armed boarder patrol - at any case we need to stop this madness - you want to pay for their housing -= pay for their heath care - pay for the their education

then go to mexico and turn over your pay check - aim sick of it - i am sick of high taxes - sick for paying for crap for people who broke our laws - nobody is stopping you from writing a check or sending it the mex govt- so me the cancelled check and i will have a hell of alot more respect for you

Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 PM

All the laws 'waived' in 2008, something presumably similar will happen if this goes forward.

And it will have minimal impact in stopping illegal immigration, ESPECIALLY for drug smugglers.
  • The National Environmental Policy Act
  • the Endangered Species Act
  • the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (commonly referred to as the Clean Water Act)
  • the National Historic Preservation Act
  • the Migratory Bird Treaty Act
  • the Clean Air Act
  • the Archeological Resources Protection Act
  • the Safe Drinking Water Act
  • the Noise Control Act
  • the Solid Waste Disposal Act, as amended by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act
  • the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act
  • the Archaeological and Historic Preservation Act
  • the Antiquities Act
  • the Historic Sites, Buildings, and Antiquities Act
  • the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act
  • the Farmland Protection Policy Act
  • the Coastal Zone Management Act
  • the Wilderness Act
  • the Federal Land Policy and Management Act
  • the National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act
  • the Fish and Wildlife Act of 1956
  • the Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act
  • the Administrative Procedure Act
  • the Otay Mountain Wilderness Act of 1999
  • Title I of the California Desert Protection Act
  • the National Park Service Organic Act
  • the National Park Service General Authorities Act
  • Sections 401(7), 403, and 404 of the National Parks and Recreation Act
  • Sections301(a)-(f)of the Arizona Desert Wilderness Act
  • the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899
  • the Eagle Protection Act
  • the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act
  • the American Indian Religious Freedom Act
  • the Religious Freedom Restoration Act
  • the National Forest Management Act of 1976
  • the Multiple Dse and Sustained Yield Act of 1960

Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 PM

i hoe there are 200 more cancelled too and EPA as well and Dept Ed shut down -

then we can start with IRS and them on to FED- great start Trump go go go

PS the Title 1 Calif Desert act was a brain child of Boxer -she wanted those nasty rv rider to stop riding in the desert - glad we can use the desert again

Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
There are several hundred miles of wall already in Texas, mostly from El Paso and stretching east. This is exactly where the building will occur. It will be not along the river, but north of the river some distance...1/2 mile, mile, it will vary. Right across landowners' property, which is one of my issues with it - it will destroy beautiful land and views across the river for little real benefit.

The last time something like this happened - 2008, Bush leaving office with plans for border wall expansion, Obama coming in - pretty much all federal and state requirements were waived by Homeland Security to ensure the work got done. I work in environmental permitting with clients that helped build that section. The plans from then are 'scaleable' and I would not be surprised if they were just used for additional wall segments.

The wall was 4 inch square steel 'pipe, about 30' long (can't remember exactly). 6' or so anchored in concrete trench and 24' above grade. Spaced 6 or 8" apart. GE made a killing on the steel sales to US government. Immigrants brought ('rented') ladders or went around or under (mainly drug dealers made the tunnels). Sections were cut down by torch - one or two poles makes a good sized opening. My clients made lots of money digging trenches, pouring concrete, and hauling steel.
I should go dig up the 2008 memo, let me go find it.

Ugh, can't do PDF and don't want to convert to image, here is the txt conversion.
Thanks for the info.

Is this the border wall in El Paso?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...850217!6m1!1e1

If not can you please provide a google maps link/GPS coordinates?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Is this the border wall in El Paso?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...850217!6m1!1e1

If not can you please provide a google maps link/GPS coordinates?
That appears to be a section of it. It is quite a bit 'nicer' in El Paso that some of the places outside of town, and there are tons of INS guys who do nothing all day but sit in their vehicles (under little sun-shade carports) and watch the wall. Depressing job, I suspect, but have to do it. There used to be some sections that were more like solid sheet metal, but I have not really been down to look at the wall in years.

Another section East of town, but there are no road-views for most of the wall (no roads close):
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.4739...8i6656!6m1!1e1

It seems that extensive changes have been made from the original plans/construction. Maybe that steel got too expensive and they converted to this fence out there, too

Not sure where this picture is from, but it is more similar to the portion of the wall that I saw some years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Texas support the border wall?-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-27-2017 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 01:11 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
for your information the West Bank wall is concrete and its 20 feet high - look it up i just found tons of pictures with a couple clicks of the mouse - walls work - they may stop 100% the it sure as hell will reduce the illegals a heck of alot
For your information, the West Bank border is 440 miles long. The US-Mexico border is almost 2,000 miles long. As someone else pointed out, the entire wall is not concrete. Walls work at what? Keeping harmless "illegals" out? They sure as heck won't work at keeping criminals out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Eh, support here is lukewarm. But a lot of Texans are gonna be happy paying a lot more for goods with the import tax Trump is proposing. We buy a lot of Mexican goods, so basically we're gonna be paying for the wall, not Mexico.
Was there ever a question that it would be us paying for this silly wall? The idea of Mexico paying for it was absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Exactly true well said but we still need to find a new to slow down the drug flow from Mexico somehow and nobody has a better idea yet.
No one has a better idea of how to slow down drug flow? Heres a novel idea.. legalize drugs. If the black market is eliminated, who will buy drugs from Mexican cartels?

Quote:
Since this state voted Red and the majority of the elected members to congress and are two senators are republican its clear your guess that the majority is in not in favor is unfounded - not well thought out polls clearly indicted that the majority want border control - using walls - fences and armed boarder patrol -

to say the land owner on the boarder dont want the wall is untrue and false - interview after interview with them clearly shows they want the fence -wall too - they are losing cattle, being robbed, can't even ride -drive on the property

your response is not based on facts it's emotional response because as i stated before its easy to be a bleeding heart liberal - its hard to be a conservative - sure is easy to say no walls when its not your land or life thats being threatned
You are under the unfounded assumption that all republicans support Trumps policies.

Quote:
hmm destroy beautiful land vs- allow thousands of illegals coming here - many with drugs - many that will kill or assault us? you actually think under eminent domain they won't be reimbursed? maybe not a wall but a fence with armed boarder patrol - at any case we need to stop this madness - you want to pay for their housing -= pay for their heath care - pay for the their education

then go to mexico and turn over your pay check - aim sick of it - i am sick of high taxes - sick for paying for crap for people who broke our laws - nobody is stopping you from writing a check or sending it the mex govt- so me the cancelled check and i will have a hell of alot more respect for you
You do realize that the "many illegals with drugs" go right back to Mexico, right? Heck, some dont even ever cross the border.. They just get the drugs across by whatever new novel concept (catapults, drones, etc) they've come up with to get around an archaic wall, and repeat the process, without ever having to leave Mexico. Walls dont exactly stop tunnels from being dug underground either.. You can build a wall as thick and high as you want, but if someone really wants to get around it, they will. "Many" of the immigrants kill/assault us? Native born US citizens are more likely to be criminals (illegally entering the country, aside) than an illegal immigrant. Don't succumb to fear driven propaganda..
I agree in one aspect. We need to stop this madness.. We need to make immigration a quicker and more efficient process, so that the people who want to come to our country have the (legal) opportunity to do so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8ff11a6b6d3a

Quote:
i hoe there are 200 more cancelled too and EPA as well and Dept Ed shut down -

then we can start with IRS and them on to FED- great start Trump go go go

PS the Title 1 Calif Desert act was a brain child of Boxer -she wanted those nasty rv rider to stop riding in the desert - glad we can use the desert again
You want the EPA shut down..? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.. but wow. Lets selfishly rape and pillage the earth for the sake of making a quick buck. Who cares about the toxic environment that we will leave for our decedents.. am I right?
No need to worry about shutting down the Department of Education though.. Trumps appointee Betsy Devos is already destroying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas