Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

LoveRoses prompted me to think on this and start a new thread.

What were y'alls earliest memories of an historic event? My daddy remembers Pearl Harbor very vaguely.

I was born in 1958 and probably remember the Kennedy assasination about the same way.

I DO remember that we were at my grandmothers house and my great-grandmother was there too...and they were all watching "As the World Turns". Then there was that sudden cut to "Bulletin" And Walter Cronkite said somthing like:

"Here is a bulletin from CBS News...from Dallas, Texas...three shots were fired at President Kennedy's motorcade in downtown Dallas..."

Any of the rest of y'all have anything to share in this regard...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I remember my grandmother telling me to stop and look at the TV screen because something historical was about to happen. Nixon was resigning the presidency.

I keep thinking I should have remembered the moon landing in 1969, but I just don't.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
I was in the 4th grade ... I remember it well .... my teacher put her head on her desk and cried!

My earliest historical event is evacuating for Hurricane Audrey then in the aftermath I went with my grandfather to SW Louisiana post ... approximately 340 deaths for that storm! I was 3 or 4!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:10 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
I remember LBJ being sworn in after Kennedy's death. And my parents kept me up one night in 1969 to watch the first moon walk.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:48 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
I'm not sure if I was in front of the TV when the first man landed on the moon in 1969. I thought we had it on the channel, but I can't remember which network or anchor and my parents were in the room (by the way, I was three at the time). This also occurred the same week as my brother being born. Long since, I've seen clips of Cronkite on CBS either on TV or on YouTube, as he was "speechless."

Old 03-09-2008, 06:32 PM

189 posts, read 914,633 times
Dating myself, but -- I was home sick from Junior High School (they call it Middle School now). I was in front of the TV. (I really had been quite ill with strep throat and was just starting to feel better.) Walter Cronkite came on. As soon as I saw his face, I knew it was really bad. My family was Walter Cronkite territory. It wasn't really news unless we heard it from him. I was shaken not only because of what was being said but because it was affecting Mr. Cronkite. He was shaken. I tried to call my parents but I couldn't reach either one.

That Sunday, my mother, sister and I went to church. My father stayed home to watch events unfold on TV. I remember talking to a lady at church. She asked me how I was doing. I replied OK but sad after what had happened. She said -- what happened? I said -- well the president had been assassinated. She said -- Oh that, you shouldn't let it affect you. That from someone at church. I have never forgotten her or her callous attitude. It was part of my "grow up" lessons. Fortunately, she was the only church member to express such sentiments

When we drove home from church, my father was pacing up and down in the drive way, waiting for us. He was totally shaken up -- he had seen Ruby kill Oswald. He could barely get the news out. He was that upset. That shook me up again. I had never seen my father upset like that. He wasn't a Kennedy supporter but the president's death truly affected him and our whole family.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
I had also got my parents to let me stay home from school that day since I wasn't feeling well. I did go with my Daddy to the lumber yard, but stayed in the truck while he went inside. I turned on the radio and was listening to music when they interrupted with the news of President Kennedy being shot in Dallas. I couldn't believe it. When Daddy came out, I told him and he was in disbelief also. We rushed home and turned on the news. I will never forget it. It as one of the most serious situations I had ever encountered. I will never forget the solemn silence in which we sat and listened to the terrible news.

My family was also not Kennedy supporters, but this affected the entire country and together we mourned the loss of innocence for our country.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
I vaguely remember the Berlin Wall being torn down in '89. In '92 I sorta remember the Rodney King beating (was living in Orange County at the time). I really remember the Columbine shooting though in '99

(WOW I'm young!)

Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
I remember watching the Army-McCarthy hearings on TV. I remember thinking that McCarthy was a scary man.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
I was only 3 when the moon landing occurred, I remember something about it but nothing specific. I do remember, I was sitting in our pick-up truck listening to the radio while my mom was running errands and hearing that Elvis had died. I think I was 10 or 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas