Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,711 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Texas with my cousin and have read a ton of the topics on this forum, but I'm a bit overwhelmed. So here is a little bit about us:

We are both females ages 27 and 25 and are coming from a very small town of 400 people. We love the outdoors, horse riding, four wheeler riding, fishing, etc. Our larger town is 20 minutes away, which is 12,000 people. We do love our small town country life, but we need some new scenery. We don't want to live in the city, but yet we don't want to completely isolate ourselves from the dating world either. Our perfect Friday night would consist of a live country band at bar with some dancing. So a town with some nightlife and that small town country feeling would be great. I am a CPA and she is a Phlebotomist so I think we could find a job anywhere. Both are very conservative by the way. Could someone please name some towns that might interest us? Thanks I very much appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 PM

210 posts, read 275,516 times
Dripping Springs, TX. approximately 23 miles southwest of Austin, TX. well known for its music and high tech venues and the capital of Texas! :-)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ngs_Texas.html

Live & Work | Dripping Springs Chamber Of Commerce

Good luck & Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
But with the Austin vibe, the least conservative place in Texas, imo.

Where are you coming from, trees, hills, lakes, forests, that would omit 2/3 of Texas?

But I think, Winona in Northeast Texas, 576 people, it been same population for 60 years, a real small town feeling, will Gladewater, 10-15 miles away 6,500 and 15 miles away the Big City, lol Tyler 100,000 pop. Oh, fishing, huntin' Mud Races, lakes all around. State Park, biking, camping, hiking etc. Then if you have to have it, mountains about 3 hours away in S.W. Oklahoma, Broken Bow. Then DFW about 2 hours away, for major city stuff, if ever needed.

Country, cows, horses, trees, forests, small towns, country bars, in Longview, Tyler, maybe in smaller towns you would enjoy, not very country and western fan myself. Let other do the Western "thing".

Oh, Tyler for your job, the medical center of East Texas, great for your cousin. Oh, churches all over the area, it's Southern in that regards.

Best to you!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Dripping Springs, TX. approximately 23 miles southwest of Austin, TX. well known for its music and high tech venues and the capital of Texas! :-)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ngs_Texas.html

Live & Work | Dripping Springs Chamber Of Commerce

Good luck & Welcome to Texas!
Austin is liberal....the OP is conservative.What is your budget,OP?Just worry about finding a job first.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,711 times
We are coming from the Midwest. So flat and corn fields.... I definitely don't need as small of a town that I'm in now! Knowing everything about everyone can get pretty old fast I'm willing to move without a job, but my cousin will probably need one before we move. I will definitely look into these that you mentioned!

Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 PM

210 posts, read 275,516 times
Hey C24L OP did not say they wanted to reside in a nunnery, they are young people, you do not even like their country music! Texas has (2) Republican Senators, (25) Republican congressmen, (11) Democratic congressmen, even the governor is a Republican, Texas is in the "Bible Belt" and you say Austin, TX. is liberal, really, really? Why because the OP enjoys country music and Austin, TX. has young people from all over the country coming by the thousands to live there, for many of the same reasons these young people want to relocate. Don't portray Austin as UC Berkeley, seen any riots in Austin lately? Let the OP decide don't skew their first impressions with your negative thoughts!

BTW, we moved to Prosper, TX. and live in the "eye of the hurricane" next to Frisco, TX. (lived in Frisco for 11 years), the hottest residential market in the country, we make our own decisions about where we choose to live, it's crazee here right now but we love it all (Toyota and countless others are just arriving)! It keeps us young! lol

Native Texan, Welcome Y'all!

Last edited by Fiber Guy; 04-18-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
I'd say look at one of the mid-size cities with relatively large young populations. Bryan/College Station, Lubbock, Abilene, Waco, Temple/Killeen, maybe Tyler and Denton.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Might also consider New Braunfels and San Marcos.....

Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'd say look at one of the mid-size cities with relatively large young populations. Bryan/College Station, Lubbock, Abilene, Waco, Temple/Killeen, maybe Tyler and Denton.
Waco,BCS would be great choices.I hear the BCS has a country bar scene although I have never been.I dont think Abilene would be a good spot for the country bar/dance scene since the church of Christ dominates the town.West Texas does not have the best fishing due to constant threat of drought

Last edited by C24L; 04-18-2017 at 11:17 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM

554 posts, read 745,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
... There are many small towns outside of Waco, which is very 'central' to getting anywhere in the State. Look to places like McGregor, which is an easy commute to the Hospital-rich city (Waco). Also look at Gatesville, which has a State prison, and other surrounding towns nearby.

Other choices further West might be Hamilton, Lampasas, even Burnet, or Llano. These are small(er) cities with even smaller towns around them, and have a small-town, or rural "vibe" to them. Many of the towns mentioned are also county seats, so there's some "life" there ... If that's what y'all are after.
And, y'all wouldn't be too far from a much larger city, in any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas