Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:07 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,669,290 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Indiana and Ohio and Nebraska due to my husband's line of work and gotta say they were no very open and friendly at all. Being a native Texan that is what I was used to and up in those states people were decent (if ya can call it that) but no one went out of there way to make nice in any way shape or form. No eye contact, hello how ya doing..nothing. Maybe they are friendly by their standards but not Texas standards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,922,696 times
That is my experience too, since moving up North--not very friendly and expect the world to revolve around them.

But I want to know specifically why a NY doesnt think they fit in in Texas? please no anti-Christian attacks as I havent seen any anti-semetic attacks, so keep it at specifics.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,975,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
That is my experience too, since moving up North--not very friendly and expect the world to revolve around them.

But I want to know specifically why a NY doesnt think they fit in in Texas? please no anti-Christian attacks as I havent seen any anti-semetic attacks, so keep it at specifics.
The only people that I know that seem to think they "don't fit" are those that move here from any other state, not just NY, and constantly whine and complain. Like to go around spouting how much better it is where they come from, say Texas is flat (lol, that one always cracks me up, like Florida has lots of mountains HA), has no trees (w/in the city limits of Dallas is one of the largest native hardwood forests AND a native palm tree area), etc. Say things like "Texans" can't drive when over 1/2 the people that live IN Texas are not from here. These are the only ones that seem to think they "don't fit". Otherwise people that move here that are open to something new and don't want to compare their new home to their old one are just fine.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,863,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
I have lived in Indiana and Ohio and Nebraska due to my husband's line of work and gotta say they were no very open and friendly at all. Being a native Texan that is what I was used to and up in those states people were decent (if ya can call it that) but no one went out of there way to make nice in any way shape or form. No eye contact, hello how ya doing..nothing. Maybe they are friendly by their standards but not Texas standards!
Yet another reason I want to flee the north! (or should I say Canada's south? lol)

It's like that in most of southern Ontario, but especially so in the Toronto area. I love talking to strangers for no apparent reason.

Back to the original topic, perhaps he just doesn't like getting weird looks from his Brooklyn accent?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:18 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,863,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Absolutely, why should or would a Texan understand Steinfeld Humor--esp of michael richards racist rants?

we have our own southern and texas humor so why wouldnt a NY then adapt to our way of life just like they want us to adapt to their ways up North
I see that on "you-tube." It was unfortunate both the comments that he said, but also that he was heckled to the point of near-breakdown. However people who do stand-up comedy should be better prepared for hostile audience memebers.

I also don't see anything wrong with retaining NY humour. I think any humour is good humour. It would be strange if he refused to laugh at Texas humour but I'd respect his choice if he does so.

Me, I've grown up listening to all kinds of comedic styles, so much so that most styles all just seem like general comedy to me. An example is British comedy; I can't really tell what the difference is between ours, theirs, American etc.

(I hear Canadians have a style too that I'm unaware of)

Old 12-17-2006, 12:34 PM

363 posts, read 2,023,056 times
With all due respect... I've loved my year plus in Texas AND I think "the Seinfeld" sense of humor etc... (Obviously, NOT Richards' rampage) is hilarious. Country or city... North or South... This country has so very much to offer!
I came from FL and think this awesome country belongs to us all! It's America for goodness sake! I am an American and I love it -and belong in it "from sea to shining sea".
My parents and grandparents are Italian/ Irish heritage and I do miss a great Italian deli in these parts (Good thing I can make our own Cannoli's!) , but the flavor out here is wonderful as well.

My husband has opportunities to move with his job and we are often faced with that question... Where will we fit in??? The answer my husband gave me the other night ... No where and everywhere.
We don't fit a mold. We are friendly and outgoing, (admittedly,) cafeteria Catholic, Democrat (conservative), Italian, Irish, German... homechoolers, tolerant, interested, somewhat educated, lived in the city (Seattle, Tampa) and in the country... love 'em both for different reasons. Fifteen years married and six kids for the flavor. We love some country music, some jazz, some metal, some big band, some musicals, some pop.... Sinatra and Hank Jr. -No, we do not fit a mold and I kinda like it.

I guess, I wish everyone would just share our America and embrace North and South... We all have so much to offer.... In a perfect world, I guess.

Have a great Holiday... Everyone and Y'all!

To the original poster... I'd say, just be yourself. You are part of the melting pot that has made this country so wonderful and vibrant! There is room for all kinds. If I ever see you in Texas, I'll invite you over for a Cannoli!

Last edited by pioneer8; 12-17-2006 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-17-2006, 09:31 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,700,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The only people that I know that seem to think they "don't fit" are those that move here from any other state, not just NY, and constantly whine and complain. Like to go around spouting how much better it is where they come from, say Texas is flat (lol, that one always cracks me up, like Florida has lots of mountains HA), has no trees (w/in the city limits of Dallas is one of the largest native hardwood forests AND a native palm tree area), etc. Say things like "Texans" can't drive when over 1/2 the people that live IN Texas are not from here. These are the only ones that seem to think they "don't fit". Otherwise people that move here that are open to something new and don't want to compare their new home to their old one are just fine.

Or it could be the arrogance that people like you tend to bestow on us "outsiders" because you can't handle a little criticism of your state. Texas is not perfect, get over it.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,975,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Or it could be the arrogance that people like you tend to bestow on us "outsiders" because you can't handle a little criticism of your state. Texas is not perfect, get over it.
Hey, if all you want to see are the negatives then ya'll never be happy here. Me personally, I'd rather focus on all of the positives that are here. I probably better than anyone can give more negatives, pitfalls and downfalls about Texas than anyone else but I choose not to focus on that. Why make myself miserable living in a place that still has awhole lot to offer to those willing to see it for what it is. The "natives" that you get into arguments after you put down their state are probably well deserved if you treat them bad by doing nothing but being negative and bad mouthing the state. It's not "arrogance" when it is well deserved criticism to someone that fails to see any positives and only complains. People and this is people ANYWHERE no matter the state get tired of hearing "outsiders" constantly complain about how much someone hates it and continues to spout myths and half truths. Even when I travel around the world and this great country I choose to focus on the positives and the difference of every location. Maybe someday you'll open your eyes and see the positives in places instead of constantly focusing the negatives and every place has negatives. Even California has plenty of negatives.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,700,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Hey, if all you want to see are the negatives then ya'll never be happy here. Me personally, I'd rather focus on all of the positives that are here. I probably better than anyone can give more negatives, pitfalls and downfalls about Texas than anyone else but I choose not to focus on that. Why make myself miserable living in a place that still has awhole lot to offer to those willing to see it for what it is. The "natives" that you get into arguments after you put down their state are probably well deserved if you treat them bad by doing nothing but being negative and bad mouthing the state. It's not "arrogance" when it is well deserved criticism to someone that fails to see any positives and only complains. People and this is people ANYWHERE no matter the state get tired of hearing "outsiders" constantly complain about how much someone hates it and continues to spout myths and half truths. Even when I travel around the world and this great country I choose to focus on the positives and the difference of every location. Maybe someday you'll open your eyes and see the positives in places instead of constantly focusing the negatives and every place has negatives. Even California has plenty of negatives.
Myth's and half truths? I believe that you have stated that the Trinity Forest is one of the largest native hardwood forests in the country and another user stated that it was THE largest. Both statements are false, as I proved in the other thread. One of my many complaints about this area is statements such as these. Rather than accept the area's shortcomings, you would rather deny and get angry. You tend to boast and build up things in this area to something they are not. You know if I drive a rust box, I can tell everyone I want it's antique, but it's still a rust box.
I have only lived in 5 states, but have done alot of US travel thanks to my job and military career. I find it very odd that in these travels that Texas is the only place where I can send the natives into a complete frenzy from one simple comment as "the summers are too hot here". Let me remind you, i'm a southener, with a southern accent. I often wonder the treatment i'd get if I had a New York accent.
California has plenty of negatives, absolutely. I don't go posting in the California about how perfect it is, because it's far from it. You won't find me trying to hide it's illegal immigration problem or it's smog problem, traffic, etc. But every single thing i've pointed out with this area that is wrong, you've tried to mask or hide. And this mindset is a problem throughout the metroplex. But if you ask me about where i'm from or about California or anywhere for that matter, i'm going to give you the good and the bad and everything I know. And thats how it should be. People come to this board seeking advice on an area, they need to hear both because moving to a new state is a big deal for most.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:46 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,922,696 times
i dont think anyone said Texas was perfect and the original issue was that Nyer were saying they dont fit in, so the NYers and other outsiders who whine and complain cant take criticism of themselves and the place they came from ANK.

I was in the Massachusetts room, they were so adamant about their state--they couldnt take any criticism about the problems in their State, so I guess its not just Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas