Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,912,233 times

Advertisements

the current Bush president is from Texas. He went away for part of HS and to College but has been in Texas for most of his life.

there are many carpetbaggers from all over the country in the South, but the Bushes arent one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 02:58 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,388,380 times
i dont have a problem with yankees, as long as they dont act pushy, rude, impatient, aggressive, or drive like a bat out of hell when they get here. the only thing i must say, though i dont like the "new yorker" type accent, i just wish that those who move down here from new york, would at least try real hard to refrain from using "youse" and try to say "yall" or at least "you all"...and the other thing i cant stand is when they address a group which includes girls/women "hey guys" or "thanks guys"...i am NOT a guy. ugh.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,903,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
the current Bush president is from Texas. He went away for part of HS and to College but has been in Texas for most of his life.

there are many carpetbaggers from all over the country in the South, but the Bushes arent one of them.
The current Pres Bush was born in CT not Texas. His daddy moved the family to West Texas to take advantage of the oil situation.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,824,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
would at least try real hard to refrain from using "youse" and try to say "yall" or at least "you all"...and the other thing i cant stand is when they address a group which includes girls/women "hey guys" or "thanks guys"...i am NOT a guy. ugh.
Up here it's very common for people say "you guys" to anyone, even when addressing a group that's entirely female.

It's funny how some people up here (in Canada) also think that "y'all" sounds unintelligent, weird and incorrect yet listening closely they both can sound funny and incorrect.
In fact, y'all would actually be less weird in certain situations as bellestaroftexas pointed out.

Myself, I don't worry about sounding "proper" for in informal conversation and I'm pro-y'all/ you all.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:40 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,965,224 times
I tend to talk like Nash Bridges.. But with a more Texas flair. =)

Old 01-03-2007, 08:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post

Sorry, Bush the younger is NOT from Texas. He was born in CT while his father was attending Yale....and they had never even been to the state at the time. They arrived here when GWB was a small child.

No, they're not carpetbaggers by any stretch of the imagination, but they are originally from the east coast.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,657,672 times
Quote:
never even thought about Bush's accent, since he is not a Texan, even though he spent a few years here as a child. I guess he doesn't sound that "southern" to me....
I had to respond to this one. When I hear Bush speak, all I can think of is how much he sounds like he is from Texas. It is the nasal sound that is so Texas and even more Dallas. I got it and so does my husband who btw was born in Providence RI. He moved here with his parents when he was 5 to Houston. His parents, his mom is from NY and dad Providence raised. They have loved living here for over 36 years. Actually politically in the American Legion they have been elected to local and state post and are well loved in the American Legion community. No one cared about their Yankee accents when they voted for them. They have never complained about the food but the relatives did/do when the came to visit over coney dogs and not being able to buy meatballs in the store. It always annoyed my husband lol.

To those who are afraid of not fitting in, don't worry about it. Just be yourself and things will work out. Most people you will find will be very kind and go out their way to help you here get adjusted. I love NY people, upstate and down in the city. Everytime I have gone to NY someone there has made our day or were met with someone being very friendly with a huge smile. I know that life can be difficult sometimes and trust me if you have read my post you will know what I have been through. I have found my best friend to be my smile. It has helped me through so many tough situations. I have found, if you smile the world opens up. and Texas will for you!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I had to respond to this one. When I hear Bush speak, all I can think of is how much he sounds like he is from Texas. It is the nasal sound that is so Texas and even more Dallas. I got it and so does my husband who btw was born in Providence RI. He moved here with his parents when he was 5 to Houston. His parents, his mom is from NY and dad Providence raised. They have loved living here for over 36 years.....

To those who are afraid of not fitting in, don't worry about it. Just be yourself and things will work out. Most people you will find will be very kind and go out their way to help you here get adjusted.....and Texas will for you!
That's interesting!! So your husband has a Texas accent....and his parents have never lost their east coast accents, after having been here for so long??

I agree entirely with the not fitting in....most people here will be glad to help those coming in....especially if they have the right attitude! A smile and a willingness to reach out work wonders, don't they?

Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,095,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i just wish that those who move down here from new york, would at least try real hard to refrain from using "youse" and try to say "yall" or at least "you all"...and the other thing i cant stand is when they address a group which includes girls/women "hey guys" or "thanks guys"...i am NOT a guy. ugh.
Now I don't think that is fair at all. If you moved up here (I'm from and still live in Chicago), would you think it would be fair of me to want you to stop saying y'all even though I find that it sounds odd to my ears. I grew up in 'you guys' territory (and amongst certain sorts 'youse), and while I don't often use the plural 'youse' (okay, it comes out once in awhile, usually after a drink or two) some of my coworkers and neighborhood friends do. HOWEVER, I know lots of people from 'y'all' territory and have never once thought ill of them for their choice of the second person plural, even if I rarely, if ever, use it, it just doesn't sound right to me. But that doesn't mean I form judgements about people who do, it is an equally legitimate way of addressing a gap in the English language as 'you guys'.

I like the regional differences in this nation and quite frankly think that people who judge other people based on their regional accents are displaying ignorance and prejudice, whether that accent be from Brookyn or Alabama.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,657,672 times
Quote:
That's interesting!! So your husband has a Texas accent....and his parents have never lost their east coast accents, after having been here for so long??
My husband came here when he was 5 years old and his parents were over 40. Children still at 5 are still learning to pronounce words and I feel that children are like sponges, they absorb everything around them. That includes speech. It is not unusal or out of the norm for a child to start to speak after awhile like the area they are living in. Bob Hope was from England and came here as a small child. He sounded pretty american to me... that is just one example and extreme to me though, my husband just moved south..

Adults, well were wired differently than children are. My father in law, his speech is more stronger than my mother in laws but it is there. He loves his cahhrs. LOL that is for cars. I have gone to visit his family up north and they have a way more stronger dialect than my inlaws, so yes moving here it isn't as strong but I can still hear it. One thing my husband got razzed for in elementary school was saying rubish instead of trash. He learned quickly to say trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas