Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 08:45 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
LOL@ the back and forth conversation going on in here. For the record I understand where Southernboy205 is coming from on certain things. When I use to be more active on CD I was younger and wasn't married nor had a child around that time. So areas and things I were into, reflected that of a single 20 something black male. Fast forward into my early to mid 30's with a 1 year old and a Wife and what I look for now has changed. I was completely against Suburban life but now with our incomes and just quality of life in these particular cities I believe it's the best choice to make. If I had my way we would live in the hip vibrant neighborhoods of either one of these cities(except Austin) and enroll our child in one of those "ultra progressive" art schools(which is still a possibility). But neighborhoods surrounding those areas are either to expensive or lower income just waiting to be gentrified.

I'm not looking for a predominately Black Suburb, I'm not opposed to it either but my main concern is safety, education and diversity. So I really mean a mixture of different cultures and ethnicity's. And diversity for me doesn't mean predominately black. (Sorry 205 lol)

It's been somewhat of a challenge to find all 3 of those at least in the state of Texas without some sort of compromise. Pearland definitely is on my list but my Wife is not the biggest fan of living in that area.

But I'll definitely look into both Plano and Pearland. My sister and her family just moved to Carrollton and man has that city changed since I use to go there frequently to visit my friends 10 years ago. The recent visit there and just some of the surrounding burbs had me really warming up to the idea of moving my family to DFW suburbs.

When me and my wife moved to Atlanta we were living right in the middle of Chamblee/Dunwoody/ Sandy Springs area. Basically the Perimeter. My Wife loves the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area and also Duluth and Decatur had some nice areas we talked about settling in as a family.

There's a school in Atlanta that I really really like called Woodward Academy. There's schools similar to that in Houston such as the Carnegie Vanguard High School. The only problem with that is that's strictly high school. I like the fact that Woodward Academy is pretty much K-12 so you get the same level of education your entire childhood. There's 2 locations in Atlanta. One in College Park and the newer one in John's Creek.
Lol. You don’t have to apologize. I’m schooling nonblacks who know us so much. Lol. They point out places with a 10% black population and are like “Oh wow, this place is diverse.” No. That’s equivalent to The Woodlands. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 09:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Lol. You don’t have to apologize. I’m schooling nonblacks who know us so much. Lol. They point out places with a 10% black population and are like “Oh wow, this place is diverse.” No. That’s equivalent to The Woodlands. Lol.
Here’s the problem: you don’t appear to know much about the DFW area yet you give advice on why people shouldn’t move there. You don’t appear to have lived there or spent any significant time there based on things you’ve written.

You compared Plano to the Woodlands??? Are you crazy? The woodlands has almost no diversity and is only 3.5% black. No, they aren’t anything alike.

Plug Houston all you want but you really need to leave DFW to people who know it.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Living in The Woodlands and having been to Plano many times before(albeit that was many years ago) there's no comparison when it comes to diversity at all. Plano is about 52 percent White. The Woodlands is about 71 % White and that commute to Houston is horrible. I think Pearland was a better comparison if anything even though it's a lot smaller. The Woodlands not even close. And the times you do see a plethora of diversity in The Woodlands are people coming over from Spring and Conroe. And that's usually at the Mall or the Pavilion when it's a hip-hop or R&B concert.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:27 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Living in The Woodlands and having been to Plano many times before(albeit that was many years ago) there's no comparison when it comes to diversity at all. Plano is about 52 percent White. The Woodlands is about 71 % White and that commute to Houston is horrible. I think Pearland was a better comparison if anything even though it's a lot smaller. The Woodlands not even close. And the times you do see a plethora of diversity in The Woodlands are people coming over from Spring and Conroe. And that's usually at the Mall or the Pavilion when it's a hip-hop or R&B concert.
Yeah Pearland is one of the best suburbs in regards to diversity. It sucks that unincorporated Harris and Fort Bend counties aren't cities because then it'd be easier to look at different percentages. From my eye though, the Cypress area and South Katy have gotten a lot more diverse in the past 10 years and probably match Pearland's numbers. The Sugar Land/Missouri City area is good too.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
The closest comparison to Pearland in Dallas IMO is Garland.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The closest comparison to Pearland in Dallas IMO is Garland.
Pearland is nothing like Garland outside of maybe some closeness as far as percentages go with diversity. Garland looks (and is) much older and is landlocked, while most of Pearland is generally newer as the city starting growing in the late 90s. Also there's a lot more room for development in the city limits. If you could make South Arlington and South Grand Prairie one city then that would be Pearland. Or better yet, I think Mansfield is probably being the best example in DFW. Garland reminds me of parts of NW Harris County around Veterans Memorial and Beltway 8.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Pearland is nothing like Garland outside of maybe some closeness as far as percentages go with diversity. Garland looks (and is) much older and is landlocked, while most of Pearland is generally newer as the city starting growing in the late 90s. Also there's a lot more room for growth in the city limits. If you could make South Arlington and South Grand Prairie one city then that would be Pearland.
I personally dont think so. Pearland is a mix of older and newer areas just as Garland is. You have the Southern parts of Pearland that are older and havent really been touched by Houston as well as the area east of Cullen along broadway. Garland has areas like that as well as the Firewheel area which is newer and similar to the area along 288 in Pearland.

The differences between the two is that Garland is much older and a lot more Hispanic. There are a couple more run down areas in Garland as well. Other than that, I find them similar.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Here’s the problem: you don’t appear to know much about the DFW area yet you give advice on why people shouldn’t move there. You don’t appear to have lived there or spent any significant time there based on things you’ve written.

You compared Plano to the Woodlands??? Are you crazy? The woodlands has almost no diversity and is only 3.5% black. No, they aren’t anything alike.

Plug Houston all you want but you really need to leave DFW to people who know it.
I said what I said. Get over it. Talking about a problem. Don’t quote me anymore.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I personally dont think so. Pearland is a mix of older and newer areas just as Garland is. You have the Southern parts of Pearland that are older and havent really been touched by Houston as well as the area east of Cullen along broadway. Garland has areas like that as well as the Firewheel area which is newer and similar to the area along 288 in Pearland.

The differences between the two is that Garland is much older and a lot more Hispanic. There are a couple more run down areas in Garland as well. Other than that, I find them similar.

South Pearland is pretty rural but being dotted by new neighborhoods. Not much old there outside of a few homes on acreage. East Pearland is older but there's many newer developments mixed in and the transition into Friendswood is pretty nice. West Pearland is like Mansfield. Just giant master-planned communities strung together. Garland is like NW Harris County to me but I can see the similarities between it and Pearland.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Pearland is nothing like Garland outside of maybe some closeness as far as percentages go with diversity. Garland looks (and is) much older and is landlocked, while most of Pearland is generally newer as the city starting growing in the late 90s. Also there's a lot more room for development in the city limits. If you could make South Arlington and South Grand Prairie one city then that would be Pearland. Or better yet, I think Mansfield is probably being the best example in DFW. Garland reminds me of parts of NW Harris County around Veterans Memorial and Beltway 8.
Yea. I think Mansfield and Pearland are similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas