Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:50 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,837,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Living in The Woodlands and having been to Plano many times before(albeit that was many years ago) there's no comparison when it comes to diversity at all. Plano is about 52 percent White. The Woodlands is about 71 % White and that commute to Houston is horrible. I think Pearland was a better comparison if anything even though it's a lot smaller. The Woodlands not even close. And the times you do see a plethora of diversity in The Woodlands are people coming over from Spring and Conroe. And that's usually at the Mall or the Pavilion when it's a hip-hop or R&B concert.
By black percentages, the two aren’t that far a part. Plano is much more Asian. TW is lily white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 23 days ago)

8,461 posts, read 5,600,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
By black percentages, the two aren’t that far a part. Plano is much more Asian. TW is lily white.
Try again....

Plano is 10.6% black. The Woodlands is 3.6% black.

FYI I dont stop quoting people when they post things that are factually incorrect. Thats nothing personal against you, but if something can be factually proven, it needs to be pointed out.

https://www.city-data.com/city/The-Woodlands-Texas.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Plano-Texas.html

Old 12-26-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yeah Pearland is one of the best suburbs in regards to diversity. It sucks that unincorporated Harris and Fort Bend counties aren't cities because then it'd be easier to look at different percentages. From my eye though, the Cypress area and South Katy have gotten a lot more diverse in the past 10 years and probably match Pearland's numbers. The Sugar Land/Missouri City area is good too.
They both are very diverse. Cypress is more “equal” in its diversity compared to South Katy. I’m interested in North Katy’s demographics, once the area matures in population.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 AM

1,168 posts, read 784,751 times
Has Rowlett, TX been suggested yet? It has rail just like Plano but has more blacks by percentage.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:37 AM

1,074 posts, read 644,899 times
So much back and forth about percentages of whites and blacks, but what about percentages of who-knows-what-combination-of-races (as it should be IMHO)?
That's where my wonderful, brilliant, fantastic, city of Richardson wins, especially on my beloved east side. I do not believe the actual statistics because I believe many (most?) people check ONE box when they should be checking 3+ boxes, based on my cross-section of perhaps 2000 people I have known over the 20+ years I have been here.

Check out Berkner High School and tell me what you think.

Hispanic
(32% of students )
5/10
Compare
Black
(29% of students )
4/10
Compare
White
(21% of students )
7/10
Compare
Asian
(14% of students )
8/10
Compare
Two or more races
(3% of students )

from greatschools.org

Old 12-27-2018, 11:58 PM

I think he should just stay in Houston.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:19 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,898,802 times
Quote:

When me and my wife moved to Atlanta we were living right in the middle of Chamblee/Dunwoody/ Sandy Springs area. Basically the Perimeter. My Wife loves the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area and also Duluth and Decatur had some nice areas we talked about settling in as a family.

There's a school in Atlanta that I really really like called Woodward Academy. There's schools similar to that in Houston such as the Carnegie Vanguard High School. The only problem with that is that's strictly high school. I like the fact that Woodward Academy is pretty much K-12 so you get the same level of education your entire childhood. There's 2 locations in Atlanta. One in College Park and the newer one in John's Creek.
I cannot give info on the Houston area as much but the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area of Atlanta is most mirrored in the far North Dallas/Addison/Richardson area of Dallas... roughly the area between 635 and the Bush Turnpike from east of 75 to west of the Tollway. Similar higher end closer in suburban area with a good mix of retail and class A offices, older nicer homes and apartments. Once lily white areas that are now very diverse. Plano as others have mentioned is just north of this area on the north side of the Bush Tollway. However the area I mention would put you closer into the center of Dallas, a similar distance as Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are to downtown Atlanta.

There is a highly regarded private school in the Addison area, Trinity Christian that might not have the history of Woodward Academy, but is still an excellent school. St. Marks in north Dallas wouldn't be that far away and has the more similar historical vibe that Woodward has. These aren't the only two excelent private schools in the area, but the ones that stick out in my mind. Richardson ISD is highly regarded as far as public schools go, has a better reputation than Dallas ISD or Carrollton/Farmers Branch ISD... Not the later two are necessarily bad but these are the three school districts that meander in and out of these broad area. Plano ISD does dip down below the Bush Turnpike in this area, would need to see an ISD map to know exactly where. As others have mentioned, a very highly regarded district.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,960,653 times
Shame you had to leave Atlanta. I seem to remember helping you find an area back then.

I'm currently off 99 just south of Cinco Ranch and I really like it. Can't speak to the schools, but they seem to be fairly highly rated. My area is growing fast and I feel very safe here. It's also diverse, as is Ft Bend County in general.

There's a decent amount of food and stores near me within 5 minutes but sometimes I have to drive 10-15 minutes to Sugarland or up to Cinco Ranch. Probably the two biggest downsides are that a commute to downtown could be very rough. Also can be 20+ minutes with traffic to I-10 and all the stores along it.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,655,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Shame you had to leave Atlanta. I seem to remember helping you find an area back then.

I'm currently off 99 just south of Cinco Ranch and I really like it. Can't speak to the schools, but they seem to be fairly highly rated. My area is growing fast and I feel very safe here. It's also diverse, as is Ft Bend County in general.

There's a decent amount of food and stores near me within 5 minutes but sometimes I have to drive 10-15 minutes to Sugarland or up to Cinco Ranch. Probably the two biggest downsides are that a commute to downtown could be very rough. Also can be 20+ minutes with traffic to I-10 and all the stores along it.
How's it going? I remember you helping me out and your post were very very helpful. Me and my wife were originally planning on living in Atlanta for about 3 to 5 years and eventually move back to Texas. But when our daughter came knocking we decided it was best to move back to Houston for those extended baby sitters. Funny because once we were living in Atlanta, about the second year we started to see ourselves living there permanently. Really the only thing that hold's us back from the idea of just focusing on Atlanta is the lack of immediate family we have there. Yet in still we're not leaving it out of our equation.

With that said, the area of Cinco Ranch you live in does that happen to be by any reservoirs? I remember seeing and hearing about the waters being released from the reservoirs during Harvey and flooded out the nearby neighborhood. Ever since hearing about that I've been hesitant about looking into moving in that area. Yet I always hear about Cinco Ranch and that area as a good place to live. And if you don't mind me asking what is the area considered where you stay?

Old 12-30-2018, 07:17 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,960,653 times
Quote:
How's it going? I remember you helping me out and your post were very very helpful. Me and my wife were originally planning on living in Atlanta for about 3 to 5 years and eventually move back to Texas. But when our daughter came knocking we decided it was best to move back to Houston for those extended baby sitters. Funny because once we were living in Atlanta, about the second year we started to see ourselves living there permanently. Really the only thing that hold's us back from the idea of just focusing on Atlanta is the lack of immediate family we have there. Yet in still we're not leaving it out of our equation.

With that said, the area of Cinco Ranch you live in does that happen to be by any reservoirs? I remember seeing and hearing about the waters being released from the reservoirs during Harvey and flooded out the nearby neighborhood. Ever since hearing about that I've been hesitant about looking into moving in that area. Yet I always hear about Cinco Ranch and that area as a good place to live. And if you don't mind me asking what is the area considered where you stay?
Ah I see. I'm in a fairly similar situation. I like it here, but all my family is in Atlanta so I'd eventually like to move back. I'm actually probably moving up to Dallas for work but the company has an office in Atlanta I could probably transfer to down the road.

You're thinking of Barker Reservoir. Sits immediately west of highway 6 with a southern dam just north of Westpark Tollway. A lot of eastern Cinco Ranch got flooded. Much of it is actually a park. But obviously some homes were built just outside the park and ended up getting flooded. I remember driving down Fry Rd and seeing all of the removed debris put out on the side of the road for trash collection. I guess theoretically, some homes flooded during Harvey, may never flood again. Harvey was so extreme, it's not likely to be repeated. But that's not really a risk I would want to take.

The flooding that happened due to water release was along Buffalo Bayou east of Hwy 6. I was at a park between Dairy Ashford and Kirkwood back in October and there was a subdivision that still had flooded homes being worked on.

I'm south of Westpark Tollway along 99. I'm technically part of Richmond but just north of Pecan Grove. As far as I know, there wasn't any home flooding near me. Just some road flooding. I actually don't even know how bad it got, cause I was stuck at work in the Westchase area for 3 days. I do know that a few miles to the south had very bad flooding due to the Brazos River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas