Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all is everybody enjoying the blue bonnets here in Texas?I always enjoy it.Feel free to share info about good places in the state to see them.They wont last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 05:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
OK, well, my husband and I took a road trip yesterday to Round Top for the antiques fair and while we saw lots of gorgeous wildflowers and some bluebonnets in the mix, we didn't hit the mother lode of bluebonnets going down toward Houston. I think they must be more of a central and north central thing. My husband said that coming into Fort Worth from Abilene the other day the bluebonnets were amazing!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:21 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times
Washington County (eg, Brenham) is often considered ground central for wildflowers. However, you have to get off 290 to see them; what's visible from the highway is decent at times, but never the best.

Every year is different. This year they are good but not great. We had a very wet winter, an early spring, then a cold spring. Part of the problem is the fields are much higher than normal due to the winter rains, so the wildflowers aren't as visible as they usually are. The Indian Paintbrushes are poking up, but the Bluebonnets are less obvious.

Usually they start towards late March, and last until mid-April. This year they have already peaked, and it's only April 5.

Do a google for Washington County or Brenham wildflowers, and you can find some web sites that list good areas to see wildflowers.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:02 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
My husband said he saw amazing bluebonnets off 281 between Lampasas and Burnet yesterday!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Washington County (eg, Brenham) is often considered ground central for wildflowers. However, you have to get off 290 to see them; what's visible from the highway is decent at times, but never the best.

Every year is different. This year they are good but not great. We had a very wet winter, an early spring, then a cold spring. Part of the problem is the fields are much higher than normal due to the winter rains, so the wildflowers aren't as visible as they usually are. The Indian Paintbrushes are poking up, but the Bluebonnets are less obvious.

Usually they start towards late March, and last until mid-April. This year they have already peaked, and it's only April 5.

Do a google for Washington County or Brenham wildflowers, and you can find some web sites that list good areas to see wildflowers.

Well, we were all around Brenham and well off 290 but didn't see that many. Oh well. We expected to see a lot more than we did.

Lots of Indian Paintbrushes though and they are beautiful - in fact, there were a lot of wildflowers in general and it was a gorgeous drive, just not a lot of bluebonnets.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My husband said he saw amazing bluebonnets off 281 between Lampasas and Burnet yesterday!
Yep, drove that a week ago, can confirm.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:16 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi y'all is everybody enjoying the blue bonnets here in Texas?I always enjoy it.Feel free to share info about good places in the state to see them.They wont last long.
You finally hit the mother load on this NEW thread.lol

I've been watching this web-site for two weeks, I think, at this moment, I'll be heading that way on next Tuesday, the best day out of the next 14 days, the mostly sunny day, now forecasted by weather.com for April 9th. Much rain is in the forecast for the next 14 days, as of right now, always subject to change on a dime, of course, lol

https://www.visitennis.org/bluebonnet.htm

Old 04-06-2019, 08:02 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, we were all around Brenham and well off 290 but didn't see that many. Oh well. We expected to see a lot more than we did.

Lots of Indian Paintbrushes though and they are beautiful - in fact, there were a lot of wildflowers in general and it was a gorgeous drive, just not a lot of bluebonnets.
I'm seeing the same thing. LOTS of Indian Paintbrushes, not nearly as many Bluebonnets as years past. Last year, our fields were probably 50-50, and we had some gorgeous pastures of wildflowers. This year it's probably 80-20, and not near the coverage.

Not sure why.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 AM

349 posts, read 260,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I was riding down that exact stretch of road Friday and saw a parade of classic cars with a trailing vehicle proclaiming "Bluebonnet Run." That, along with some great wildflower action was a true pleasure.

Last edited by WacoBill; 04-08-2019 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 08:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
There were a ton of bluebonnets and the orange and purple wildflowers between Floresville and I-10 last week. Very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas