Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Dallas is Texas all the way
In no way is that true. Dallas isn't uniquely Texan. Dallas could be anywhere. Dallas has a big Los Angeles/Orange County like pretentious vibe, whereas Austin has more of a Silicon Valley/San Francisco type vibe.

Dallas is a bigger city and is usually better for career options.

I picked Dallas over Austin precisely for that reason when I decided to move to Texas. I liked the potential of Austin's job market. I was concerned about my ability to fit in socially there since I am not exactly Austin weird. Dallas offered me a bigger market and a more normal social scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,491,660 times
^^^ You took my comments completely out of context. This is what I said.

Quote:
Austin is more like California in mindset and Dallas is Texas all the way, although it is very ethnically diverse.
What I meant is that Dallas is more RED and conservative as a whole, which Texas also is. Austin is BLUE and liberal like much of California. There are exceptions but I speak of majorities and stereotypes.

I am not into politics, in fact, I HATE politics, only pointing something out and it's just my observation.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
In no way is that true. Dallas isn't uniquely Texan. Dallas could be anywhere. Dallas has a big Los Angeles/Orange County like pretentious vibe, whereas Austin has more of a Silicon Valley/San Francisco type vibe.

I picked Dallas over Austin precisely for that reason when I decided to move to Texas. I liked the potential of Austin's job market. I was concerned about my ability to fit in socially there since I am not exactly Austin weird. Dallas offered me a bigger market and a more normal social scene.

Believe it or not, most of Texas is "normal." So in that sense I do think that Dallas is much more representative of Texas as a whole than Austin, which IS weird, and not necessarily in a good way.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 AM

4,393 posts, read 4,636,648 times
Quote:

I get the DFW to LA/Orange County comparison but Austin having a Silicon Valley/ San Francisco especially San Francisco vibe??? Definitely not. Austin is more Portland than it is SF imo.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:41 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I get the DFW to LA/Orange County comparison but Austin having a Silicon Valley/ San Francisco especially San Francisco vibe??? Definitely not. Austin is more Portland than it is SF imo.
Yeah, San Francisco is wayyyyyyyyy more cosmopolitan than Austin.

Also, it isn't that much like Portland, only a little, due to both of being "weird." The culture really isn't that similar to the PNW, just because they are both liberal. That's like saying Alabama and Wyoming have the same culture because they are both Red States.

Austin really isn't much like California.

Honestly, Collin County is much more like California (Orange County) than any other part of Texas is like any other part of California.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:05 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
If you are coming down w/o a job, ignore all the other noise and chose Dallas. Way more opportunities up there.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:18 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,908,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

Honestly, Collin County is much more like California (Orange County) than any other part of Texas is like any other part of California.
Here ya go again. Collin County is nothing like Orange County. Maybe like Orange County circa 1990.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^^ You took my comments completely out of context. This is what I said.

What I meant is that Dallas is more RED and conservative as a whole, which Texas also is. Austin is BLUE and liberal like much of California. There are exceptions but I speak of majorities and stereotypes.

I am not into politics, in fact, I HATE politics, only pointing something out and it's just my observation.
The city of Dallas and Dallas County are Democratic support bastions, but Dallas suburbs in Collin County tend to be more conservative in terms of political ideology and candidates supported, though even that's not guaranteed anymore, as Beto O'Rourke did well in Collin County. Beto also won Tarrant County.

I dislike politics as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Austin has a lot of tech jobs. Bumble, a so-called feminist dating app, is based in Austin. I think there's a little bit of a Northern California thing going on there.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Here ya go again. Collin County is nothing like Orange County. Maybe like Orange County circa 1990.
I have several friends from OC and they agree......

Anyway, it isn't a perfect match, but CC is much more like OC than Austin is like San Francisco or San Jose....Any place in California actually.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Austin has a lot of tech jobs. Bumble, a so-called feminist dating app, is based in Austin. I think there's a little bit of a Northern California thing going on there.
Eh, lots of places have tech. I don't think Austin is very much like northern California at all. Both are liberal and have tech, but that is where it begins and ends for me.

(Spent a decent amount of time in both places/ also work in tech)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas