Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 PM

68 posts, read 44,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I don´t need to "bring" anything, I don´t walk around with a chip on my shoulder. That´s the biggest problem with Americans on the Internet in 2019, everyone´s so angry all the time. We can have a discussion though, that´s fine.

I was born in New Orleans, knew plenty of people who stayed during the storm...their main concern was getting out of the city, finding food and water honestly. I don´t know what an AK would have done in that situation.

I can´t say I am blaming assault rifles for all these mass shootings, but they have enabled the wrong people to achieve more horrifically grave bodily harm than they could have done with another type of firearm. If ER doctors are advocating this, I think they´d know the difference and what has happened here. It´s the shooter´s fault, clearly, but why make it so easy for them to go on doing it? I´m the extremist for not being ok with a guy walking into a public place with a loaded AR-15 slung around his back in broad daylight just because he wants to? That apparently was one of the reasons why the El Paso shooter got in to Wal-Mart with no problem, walking around with military-grade weapons is "normal"...

What crimes do you believe deserve stiffer punishments? I´m just asking.

Well sir, arson is illegal. Drunk driving is illegal. Bomb-making is illegal. Assault rifles are not. I´m starting to see a greater need for regulation perhaps? I had to take driver´s ed, then the test, just to get licensed to drive my car. I´ve gone through many a checkpoint to ensure that I wasn´t misusing a powerful tool and risk killing myself or worse yet innocents on the road with me.

Why are guns off limit? What are people so angry about?
People are angry about the carnage under this failed system. That's what. Simple. It's not working. Clear enough?

Murder is illegal. Agree?

How easy is it to purchase box cutters?

Cars?

Trucks?

Give me your feelings about box cutters. Remember 911? Many don't, unfortunately.

Give me your feelings about rental trucks loaded with fertilizer. Remember Oklahoma City bombing?

Give me your feelings about vehicles, pick them, driven into crowded streets?

Knives? Been following homicides in UK?

I can go on, an on , and on and on............

Stop blaming the tool.

START BLAMING THE PERPS!!!

And stop re-electing bleeding heart liberal judges that slap the wrists of multi-offenders, shall we? Would that be a start??

Again, would that be a start? There are enough gun laws on the books already. I would challenge you to name just a few several dozen. Here's a CLUE: criminals and sociopaths don't abide by todays laws. Clear?

Don't raise the bridge, lower the water. No, I happen to disagree. And many millions along with me agree.

Stifle the REAL problem, the PERSON, not the inanimate tool.

Tougher solution, indeed. This is where many get stuck. The old 'path of least resistance'. Blame the tool, not the means. No clear solution, just a simple panacea. Ask the folks in CA how they feel about not turning in the people they felt uncomfortable with, coming and leaving at the residence next to them that proceeded to carry out a mass shooting. They didn't want to be labeled as politically incorrect. Well, that led to a lot of people being murdered. I would argue, it's political correctness that's getting people killed. Along with a failed judicial system.

Last edited by Sogno; 11-03-2019 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,036,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
The second amendment is not about home defense, hunting, etc.

It is explicitly about citizens protecting themselves against an all-intrusive government.

Any attempt by the US government to infringe on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms, including "assault rifles", should be seen as a clear violation of the second amendment.

Which is great in theory, but technology sure has changed, right? If only Parkland, Columbine, San Bernadino, Walmart, etc. ended up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORV...has_verified=1

Ironic that police are now more militaristic than ever just to try to deal with the threat of shooters armed with these deadly weapons. I feel much less free thanks to them.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:23 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,036,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
People are angry about the carnage under this failed system. That's what. Simple. It's not working. Clear enough?

Murder is illegal. Agree?

How easy is it to purchase box cutters?

Cars?

Trucks?

Give me your feelings about box cutters. Remember 911? Many don't, unfortunately.

Give me your feelings about rental trucks loaded with fertilizer. Remember Oklahoma City bombing?

Give me your feelings about vehicles, pick them, driven into crowded streets?

Knives? Been following homicides in UK?

I can go on, an on , and on and on............

Stop blaming the tool.

START BLAMING THE PERPS!!!

And stop re-electing bleeding heart liberal judges that slap the wrists of multi-offenders, shall we? Would that be a start??
You can´t bring box cutters on planes anymore. Hell, you have to take off your shoes and can´t even bring more than travel-sized liquids. I can´t walk into a place and buy huge amounts of feritilizer without Homeland Security tracking me (and honestly, I don´t mind).

Yes, you can drive vehicles into crowds and kill people. It´s true. I can think though of many, many cases where said vehicles wouldn´t have been able to get into buildings like movie theatres, Walmart, etc. and killed all those poor people the way a person with feet and an assault rifle can.

I´d rather get stabbed than shot with a .223 round...though neither would be fun.

I know my position isn´t bullet-proof (oops, no pun intended, sorry) but it has much validity in today´s society with all that´s going on.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:39 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Good riddance Robert Francis O'rouke.

I bet you're a riot at parties.
I am. Mostly because I don’t associate with morons.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:47 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,000,145 times
Quote:
Which is great in theory, but technology sure has changed, right? If only Parkland, Columbine, San Bernadino, Walmart, etc. ended up like this:

Ironic that police are now more militaristic than ever just to try to deal with the threat of shooters armed with these deadly weapons. I feel much less free thanks to them.

I felt much less free after the Boston Marathon bombing. Should we ban pressure cookers?

How about we get back on the Beto topic.

I thought he was "born to do this". How sad to lose one's birth identity. What will he do now?

Old 11-03-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
You can´t bring box cutters on planes anymore. Hell, you have to take off your shoes and can´t even bring more than travel-sized liquids. I can´t walk into a place and buy huge amounts of feritilizer without Homeland Security tracking me (and honestly, I don´t mind).

Yes, you can drive vehicles into crowds and kill people. It´s true. I can think though of many, many cases where said vehicles wouldn´t have been able to get into buildings like movie theatres, Walmart, etc. and killed all those poor people the way a person with feet and an assault rifle can.

I´d rather get stabbed than shot with a .223 round...though neither would be fun.

I know my position isn´t bullet-proof (oops, no pun intended, sorry) but it has much validity in today´s society with all that´s going on.
And what happens when box cutters becomes ___________ . ? And what happens when fertilizer becomes __________ ?

And what happens to you, your daughter, your mother, grandfather, sister, or other loved one that isn't protected by a barricade, or a good guy/gal with a gun?

[quote=aab7855;56554210] I can think though of many, many cases where said vehicles wouldn´t have been able to get into buildings like movie theatres, Walmart, etc. and killed all those poor people the way a person with feet and an assault rifle can.[quote=aab7855;56554210]

Do you know the stats of the mow-downs of vehicle homicides??

Your "validity" is flawed. You blame the tool, rather than the CAUSE.

Do you blame Fire for the casualties of an arson fire? Do you blame water for drownings? Do you blame over 300,000 annual obesity/cardiac deaths caused by obesity, or forks and spoons? Forks and spoons right? Ah, I thought so..

Personally, I'll choose to defend myself against anyone weilding a knife, gun, club, brick, or any other object that would threaten my life, or my loved ones. Unarmed and defenseless is armed defenseless and soulless. No thanks. Not for me.

Stop taking the easy way out. Stop blaming the tool. Much tougher to attack the Real problem, isn't it?

Old 11-03-2019, 11:40 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
Quote:
I know what´s coming, the flood of people getting ready to respond by listing for me all the non-assault rifle weapons that can kill people...I get it. A lot could be prevented though blah blah blah blah...
I try to not touch political or topics like this however your post was so egregious and abhorrent glazed with misinformation and emotion I just had to. You're quite right "it's coming" with the rebuttals to your nonsensical fact-less emotional-filled "arguments", nothing personal to you. Whether I'm a firearm owner or not I support anyone's right to be one and use whatever means they feel is necessary to protect their rights and their persons from tyranny.

On the comment about prevention, you can never stop evil, you can only defend against it. Ask London how well their firearm, sharp object, plastic butter knife, basic hand tool ban is working out? You anti-2A people always talk about prevention but never the detection and cause or even the treatment of the people behind the actions who commit these evil acts. Humans have been killing each other since the beginning and it will always be so. Guns, knives, sticks, rocks and hands/feet it doesn't matter, evil and or deranged people will find a way.

Quote:
weapon of choice in most mass shootings.
A lie. A standard lie the far left, main stream "news" and "hollywood" wants you to believe. Try looking at the FBI crime statistics and while you're at it the CDC death statistics below for starters. But I don't expect you to nor want to have a serious fact-filled discussion with you based on the next sentence below. Hint, there are over 22x more handgun murders than rifles in the US.

Quote:
Seriously, why do people need one of those?
First, none of your business what defensive instrument that is chosen to protect from governmental tyranny because its the private property of we the people. What private property Jane Doe and Joe Blow have is absolutely none of your, my or anyone else's business. Secondly, try reading the bill of rights, in particular the 2nd Amendment for a clear and succinct explanation for the reason why "people need one of those". It is the more clear of any of the rights we have. Lastly, you come from a point of emotion and that's exactly what the anti-2A political talking heads and media want. You fell for it, hook line and sinker.

Quote:
Imagine the day a friend or family member is critically injured by one of those when the only thing they did wrong was wake up and go out in public (or in the case of his district´s shooting, do all that while being Brown). You´d never feel the same about it. What about my daughter´s right to go to school and not be killed by an incel and/or racist a-hole who needs to feel powerful by killing the defenseless?
More anti-2A and emotional nonsense. The rights of the people are more important than your feelings. The solution is an armed and properly trained populace (aka the militia is we the people by the way).

Oh, you mentioned schools, good. If the teachers and staff were trained and armed in schools and the "gun free zone" stuff was removed perhaps the schools wouldn't be soft targets and these deranged and clearly mentally ill people intent on harming others (the most defenseless among us) would move on, get stopped quickly or change their mind altogether. In UT teachers carry firearms, how many school shootings do you suppose happen at those schools? In fact how many public (or "mass" as you erroneously call it) shootings happen in the state UT at all? Don't worry, I'll wait. So you know, UT is very pro-2nd Amendment and a lot of people are armed--which includes the aforementioned teachers. These teachers can even go through special training provided and supported by some county Sheriffs and I would trust those teachers and armed staff with my child's life. My wife and I almost quite literally moved to one of these communities in UT for that reason.

Quote:
are you aware how big a .223 ammunition round is? Picture that tearing through the insides of a child or a grandparent. Not a pretty sight. There is a HUGE difference between the damage one of these guns does and your average pistol.
This is too easy. Do you realize the .223 is tiny? It is a .22 caliber projectile, have you ever actually seen one in person before? There are much larger cartridges available in the AR platform such as your typical hunting cartridge of .308 for example that makes a .223 look like a BB gun--to use simple terms someone who doesn't know anything about firearms like yourself. The .308 also has about double the ballistic energy. None of that matters however, what matters is the person using the tool and not the tool. Something you need to know but won't accept is that people are evil and inanimate objects are not. An AR-15 or AK doesn't have brain cells, load itself, charge the weapon, seek out a target and pull the trigger. No, that's a human that is responsible. And that human could just as easily carry a razor sharp katana/machete or a large hammer or even a baseball bat. Take a guess between the bat, sword and rifle what kills more people every year in the US? Don't worry I'll tell you. The data is all there in the FBI stats which I'll link to below. There were 297 rifle murders in 2018 according to the FBI, and that's all rifles. So a lesser % of that are AR-15's (and AK's). I linked you to the FBI stats (and CDC for grins) if you so choose to read it. FYI, there were over 2,600 murders by objects like; blunt (443), sharp/pointy (1,515), fist/feet (672) than rifles in 2018.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-8.xls

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/n...tables-508.pdf

Again, to reiterate our rights as we the people are more important than your or anyone else's feelings. This is America and we have a bill of rights and if someone doesn't like any of those rights the rest of us will happily pay for their packing up and moving to another country permanently.

And to close, none of any of this really matters and is moot because the goal of "gun control" is always not the gun but the control. History is pretty clear on that and what happens once we start down this path and I really don't think you would want to be in any of those previous historical situations.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post

Stifle the REAL problem, the PERSON, not the inanimate tool.
I agree with this.

In my town our local paper keeps printing articles about our increasing "gun violence".

We don't have increasing "gun violence". We have increasingly violent people. The perpetrators behind the violence are the "problem" that needs addressing.

Often, the perpetrator has prior offenses, sometimes many. We are not punishing people severely enough to prevent further offenses. That is what is clear to me. Prisons overcrowded? Build more.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
The gun murder and gun suicide rates in the U.S. are both lower today than in the mid-1970s. There were 4.6 gun murders per 100,000 people in 2017, far below the 7.2 per 100,000 people recorded in 1974. And the rate of gun suicides – 6.9 per 100,000 people in 2017 – remained below the 7.7 per 100,000 measured in 1977.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hs-in-the-u-s/

And violent crime rates have decreased since 2017 according to the FBI.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s.../violent-crime

I have a very good friend who is very "anti gun" and only watches MSNBC basically for news. When I told her this, she said, "I don't believe it - violent crime and criminal acts with guns is on the INCREASE!" I said, "No, not per capita - I mean, our population is increasing but the rate of violent crimes and crimes using guns is decreasing and has been for several decades." She said incredulously, "Where are you getting this information?" I said, "From the FBI and CDC websites."

Old 11-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Many or most of the anti-gun people try to convince people, "more guns mean more gun violence". Happens all the time. Trouble is, it's simply not true. FACTS do not support this argument. Look them up, but please, careful of your sources. Real news sources, not fake news.

My first hand experiences over the years? I attend the annual NRA meetings whenever possible. Each year I've attended, more than 80,000 NRA members converged on the meeting cities. Hotel rooms are sold out. Restaurants and other establishments are packed. The majority of us are carrying firearms. That's a LOT of additional guns in one city over a three day period. Now, go check the crime rates for these cities over those weekends, and compare with the stats for those cities any other weekends of the year. Guess what? Many thousands MORE GUNS, with less crime.

Explain that. When I attend these meetings, we joke about being in the safest city in the country during that weekend because we're surrounded by good people, armed.

An armed society is a polite society. Florida is now allowing their school personnel to carry weapons after completing an extensive training program. Bad idea? I'd argue, about the best idea to be put into practice yet.

Bottom line - the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Ask Stephen Willeford, the hero that stopped the church shooter in the great state of Texas. He did it with his own AR 15 (AR does NOT stand for 'assault rifle', BTW. It helps to know just a bit of the topic you're arguing). This is only one example of crimes thwarted by armed citizens. Each issue of NRA's monthly magazines have 2 pages of stories of the same. Of course you don't hear or read about them on your choice of media. It doesn't fit their narrative. But you knew that, right?

No, guns aren't the problem, evil and deranged people are. It really isn't that difficult to comprehend, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas