Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,359 times

Advertisements

Within 30 to 45 days, I'm planning on moving to McAllen. I'm a single senior, veteran, and will be looking for a one bedroom apartment. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Is it possible to get some idea what the summer heat and humidity are like; especially, during the dog days of summer. Does it change much in the winter? Comparatively, I used to live in hot, dry and windy Amarillo and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus, the people were wonderful, it proved to be fine match.
Right now, I'm looking for something a bit closer to the Gulf, and a smaller community. BTW, is there a VA clinic in McAllen?

Finally, I'm a poet. I've published a couple of books and I'm wondering if there is some type of literary or arts scene in town that would provide a venue for poetic expression. For recreation, I enjoy ballroom and Latin dancing - just wondering if that is available.

Thank you, for your kind assistance in this matter.
P.S. Moving from Knoxville, TN, where it is hot and steamy in the summer and cold and a bit snowy in the winter. Brand new to this site. Hope, I can find my way back to this spot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
Why McAllen?

Search this forum for Rio Grande Valley. Lots of informative posts.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:17 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,234,634 times
If you´re poet you will love this:

VIPF Schedule 2015
Rio Grande Valley International Poetry Festival Apr. 21--24, 2016.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,359 times
Hey, SenorChip, that was a great link about poetry opportunities - just what I needed. Any recommendations for 1 bedroom apts - are they fairly readily available? Also, I can live in Harlinger, Edinburg - however, it does appear that the ballroom/Latin dancing maybe rather limited?

Thanks, again, K.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
There are plenty of apartments available in all price ranges and many resources to find them both online and in printed publications.

Try google for starters. Craigslist, rental source etc.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM

52 posts, read 76,444 times
Default considering McAllen too

Not to hijack this thread but I am also considering a move to McAllen as well. I have done a large amount of searching and have found mixed reviews about McAllen, Edinburg and the RGV in general. For the most part people are somewhat optimistic about its continued economic growth. Nonetheless, there are also a fair number of posts regarding the various negative aspects about living in south Texas so close to the Mexican border.

My main concern is for the safety and well being of my family. It's hard not to be affected by the media portraying the area as a, "war zone, " where people don't feel safe within their own homes. Does drug cartel violence spill over into the area on a regular basis? Do normal every day citizens live in a state of constant uneasiness throughout their daily lives in hopes not to unintentionally be in the wrong place at the wrong time or inadvertently **** off the wrong person?

Is there a large enough presence in terms of local and state police as well as federal Customs and Border Control to keep the peace and make sure the people feel safe and protected.

I've heard stories of a physician being murdered by someone supposedly associated with the drug cartels because his daughter died from complications of child birth. I looked it up and to my surprise it did in fact happen.

I've also read of a US citizen in south Texas being kidnapped and smuggled across the border by the drug cartel and later rescued by the authorities.

That is some pretty messed up and crazy Moderator cut: . !

Is it possible to feel safe and raise a family here? Are the schools absolutely terrible? Are there options for private school? If you had a viable job opportunity in McAllen or Edinburg would you recommend it to a close friend or family member? Are the current residents welcoming and open to people of different ethnicities, beliefs and backgrounds?

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted some more personal insight from everyday people that live in McAllen to tell me how they genuinely feel about their city. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Last edited by toosie; 10-16-2016 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: TOS - please don't swear or try to trick the profanity filter

Old 10-12-2016, 02:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Mcallen and other RGV towns have lower crime rates than other metro areas in Texas and the US for that matter. It's a common misconception that the violence which does exist in Mexico also exists in the RGV.

"Spillover" violence like kidnappings usually affects people already involved in criminal activities.

Here is a page that will give you the stats which happens to be on city-data as well.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-McAllen-Texas.html

That being said there are some areas better than others. You can see that in the map.

Compare that to San Antonio which is nowhere near the border and you will see.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nio-Texas.html

Crime is not a problem, some people may have a problem with the culture. Some people love it. It depends on the individual.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:15 PM

108 posts, read 367,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronkforlife View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I am also considering a move to McAllen as well. I have done a large amount of searching and have found mixed reviews about McAllen, Edinburg and the RGV in general. For the most part people are somewhat optimistic about its continued economic growth. Nonetheless, there are also a fair number of posts regarding the various negative aspects about living in south Texas so close to the Mexican border.

My main concern is for the safety and well being of my family. It's hard not to be affected by the media portraying the area as a, "war zone, " where people don't feel safe within their own homes. Does drug cartel violence spill over into the area on a regular basis? Do normal every day citizens live in a state of constant uneasiness throughout their daily lives in hopes not to unintentionally be in the wrong place at the wrong time or inadvertently **** off the wrong person?

Is there a large enough presence in terms of local and state police as well as federal Customs and Border Control to keep the peace and make sure the people feel safe and protected.

I've heard stories of a physician being murdered by someone supposedly associated with the drug cartels because his daughter died from complications of child birth. I looked it up and to my surprise it did in fact happen.

I've also read of a US citizen in south Texas being kidnapped and smuggled across the border by the drug cartel and later rescued by the authorities.

That is some pretty messed up and crazy

Is it possible to feel safe and raise a family here? Are the schools absolutely terrible? Are there options for private school? If you had a viable job opportunity in McAllen or Edinburg would you recommend it to a close friend or family member? Are the current residents welcoming and open to people of different ethnicities, beliefs and backgrounds?

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted some more personal insight from everyday people that live in McAllen to tell me how they genuinely feel about their city. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Lived here most my life never been kidnapped or robbed or burglarized or even murdered lol. The city of McAllen is actually pretty normal growing bustling town where you won't even know you were by the border. (Unless judgemental people here would say so because most people are brown here lol) aside from race as the Obvious reason threaders hate this place you will feel safe. Unless you actually become part of the drug cartel deals and drugs then that means they choose your own future lol. Visit the area first get a feel of it because knowing people on this forum "its not for everyone" which they only say that because their race isn't the majority and hispanics are here. But as you will notice the locals here don'tModerator cut: . your race or different ethnicities! The one ones who always bring it up are people who aren't from here and just look at this area by color not by people. Those are the ones who say negative things about here

Last edited by toosie; 10-16-2016 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: TOS - please don't swear or try to trick the profanity filter

Old 10-12-2016, 05:58 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,054,525 times
Are there a pocket of Asians or African Americans in McAllen

Last edited by imaterry78259; 10-12-2016 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: s th

Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Are there a pocket of Asians or African Americans in McAllen
When we lived there a few years ago the Asians we knew were mainly Filipinos in the medical field. The few African Americans (3 families) we knew were also in the medical field, and left the area because they were made to feel uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas