Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The whole concept of the south based on slave labor was just evil, but slavery was already 240+ years old (1619-1861) by the time the War Between the States broke out. This is going to sound weird, but every time I visited a site (such as one of the very few remaining antebellum mansions with slave quarters), I would just get the creeps. I could actually feel old spirits wandering the place, and I wanted away from them as soon as possible.[/color]
Doesnt sound "weird" at all. In fact, I am facinated and interested in it. Now I DO disagree that the Southern cause and the South boiled down to simply slavery. In fact, although I have sorta "semi-retired" from it, I used to give little short talks to historical organizations on the Southern side of the War. Unfortunately, too few Southerners know what motivated their ancestors (at least 70,000 Texans alone) to go out and fight their butts off from dawn to setting sun...

Quote:
Ok, sounds good to me......!! I'll have Tecate and a plate of enchiladas...and you can have your beer and CFS....LOL!!!
I wouldn't mind the enchilada...not in the least! Hey, I NEVER denied that I didnt LOVE that Tex-Mex stuff! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Doesnt sound "weird" at all. In fact, I am facinated and interested in it. Now I DO disagree that the Southern cause and the South boiled down to simply slavery. In fact, although I have sorta "semi-retired" from it, I used to give little short talks to historical organizations on the Southern side of the War. Unfortunately, too few Southerners know what motivated their ancestors (at least 70,000 Texans alone) to go out and fight their butts off from dawn to setting sun...

I wouldn't mind the enchilada...not in the least! Hey, I NEVER denied that I didnt LOVE that Tex-Mex stuff! LOL
Basically, besides the issue of slavery....what it boiled down to..."YOU (G****mn yankees!!!) don't tell us what to do or how to live our lives!"

OK, we can have some spirited conversation over an icy cold one.....I'm sure your resident "yankee" has a few choice words over all this Southern stuff....LOL!!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Basically, besides the issue of slavery....what it boiled down to..."YOU (G****mn yankees!!!) don't tell us what to do or how to live our lives!"

OK, we can have some spirited conversation over an icy cold one.....I'm sure your resident "yankee" has a few choice words over all this Southern stuff....LOL!!!!

LMAO. Actually, she is a true westerner, and tries to stay "neutral" She gets irritated when I refer to her as a "yankee"... but at the same time, she pronounces her home state of "Coller-ah-duh" as "Coller-A-Doe.

And when she makes chili...it has beans in it. It is good...but it AINT chili!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
LMAO. Actually, she is a true westerner, and tries to stay "neutral" She gets irritated when I refer to her as a "yankee"... but at the same time, she pronounces her home state of "Coller-ah-duh" as "Coller-A-Doe.

And when she makes chili...it has beans in it. It is good...but it AINT chili!
LOL!!!

I myself have always said "Colorado" with a strong "o" at the end. It also reminds me of one of my great-aunts. There is a small town called Colorado City in West Texas.....she and her friends always called it Collar-RAY-duh City.....

Don't tell me you pick the beans out........

Old 05-17-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
LOL!!!

I myself have always said "Colorado" with a strong "o" at the end. It also reminds me of one of my great-aunts. There is a small town called Colorado City in West Texas.....she and her friends always called it Collar-RAY-duh City.....

Don't tell me you pick the beans out........
When we get together and visit, y'all will probably get along great! She is somewhere between the two of us. She DOES think of Texas as Southern not Western (according to her definition of the West..her home turf). At the same time, she is in lots of ways more akin to your way of thinking than mine.

It is interesting...and we ARE going to have to all meet! LOL

Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,169 times
Quote:
That, plus people are naturally inclined to fight off anyone or anything that they see as a threat to their family and property, no matter what "noble cause" the invaders might have or how just or unjust their own government is. We see that lesson repeated in the middle east today (and saw it in other previous post-WWII conflicts, as well).
A lot of the regular folks "just want the d*** foreigners to go home," whether it's us "good guys" or al qaeda or anyone else.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
That, plus people are naturally inclined to fight off anyone or anything that they see as a threat to their family and property, no matter what "noble cause" the invaders might have or how just or unjust their own government is. We see that lesson repeated in the middle east today (and saw it in other previous post-WWII conflicts, as well).
A lot of the regular folks "just want the d*** foreigners to go home," whether it's us "good guys" or al qaeda or anyone else.
Not a bad summation...but it needs to be added that the inclination IS truly natural and nothing wrong with it.

In 1860, all most Texas/Southern boys knew was that somebody called "yankees" were coming down to invade them. If typical, they were just simple farm boys...didn't own a slave...and had no interest in the institution one way or another. They volunteered to fight because, as they saw it, they were all that stood between them and their families and home and hearth. Here is the best on this I have ever read:

Don Drane - Confederate history - gravestones - cemetery

Mine doesn't quite match it, and was done years apart from Don's great piece, but it follows a bit...

Southern (USA) history - Randy Hill - Confederate graves

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-17-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
When we get together and visit, y'all will probably get along great! She is somewhere between the two of us. She DOES think of Texas as Southern not Western (according to her definition of the West..her home turf). At the same time, she is in lots of ways more akin to your way of thinking than mine.

It is interesting...and we ARE going to have to all meet! LOL
Ohhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

But Texas does have very little in common with CO....it is WT that has much in common with much of NM, though.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
Good points...!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Ohhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

But Texas does have very little in common with CO....it is WT that has much in common with much of NM, though.
OR...maybe eastern NM has something in common with far West Texas...? *grins*

Actually, Cathy, I am not being a smarta$$. Eastern New Mexico WAS, for a long time, referred to as "little Texas" because that was the western most extention of Texas/Southern settlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas