Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:28 AM

21 posts, read 23,359 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are sick of living in nanny state Maryland - we're red dots in a sea of blue - and even a lot of the other red dots are more purple (RINO), if you know what I mean? Or if not exactly purple (RINO), then at least repressed enough after decades of blue domination that they think either they can't do anything to make things more balanced or that the blue are actually okay. We also want to be able to afford to buy a home, and that's near-impossible in MD at our income level. So we're looking into red states like TX, OK, and FL. What are the pros and cons of living in TX? Where are some safe, conservative areas with good hands-on jobs that don't require a college degree and have affordable (under $200k) homes not in a manufactured homes park? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 08:34 AM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
Maybe West Texas (Amarillo, Midland, etc.). You will be far from the ocean and forests, but those areas typically have lots of blue collar jobs. Others probably can give you more current economic forecasts in those areas. Maybe also Beaumont/Port Arthur areas as well.

Stay far away from all of the cities which are very blue in the inner areas (which I personally love) and are quite expensive. The days that Texas was considered affordable in urban areas are long gone.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:43 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
I can't speak for the other major metros but in the Houston area, the outer/outer suburbs/exurbs tend to be the reddest and the most affordable - compared to the near-downtown neighborhoods that are big $$. Areas like Mont Belvieu, Deer Park, etc. are very livable and could fit your criteria. Porter/New Caney and some parts of Atascocita likewise.

It sounds like Texas would be a good fit. Some areas are affordable because the school district is OK instead of stellar. If you aren't looking like a "9.9 out of 10" school district and if you are willing to live in the far suburbs or exurbs, you might do just fine. Good luck!

Smaller metro areas as mentioned above will give you even more options.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:07 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabe.Mamabookworm View Post
My husband and I are sick of living in nanny state Maryland - we're red dots in a sea of blue - and even a lot of the other red dots are more purple (RINO), if you know what I mean? Or if not exactly purple (RINO), then at least repressed enough after decades of blue domination that they think either they can't do anything to make things more balanced or that the blue are actually okay. We also want to be able to afford to buy a home, and that's near-impossible in MD at our income level. So we're looking into red states like TX, OK, and FL. What are the pros and cons of living in TX? Where are some safe, conservative areas with good hands-on jobs that don't require a college degree and have affordable (under $200k) homes not in a manufactured homes park? Thanks.
I dont think youd find the major metro areas in Texas an improvement vs. where you are now.

Sounds like you might be happy in a place like Amarillo, Lubbock, or Midland. Maybe Tyler or Longview. Id check those areas out.

One thing that should be mentioned is that Texas is trending purple. I dont think Texas will all that red in 10 years time. Oklahoma would be more of a sure bet if that is important to you.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:14 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Beaumont/Port Arthur are both fairly high crime compared to other cities of similar size. Midland/Odessa are not as high crime, but hosing costs are fairly high due to the oil fields.

For what you are looking for, I would recommend San Angelo, Abilene, or Lubbock. All of these are medium-size cities with good job opportunities, fairly affordable housing, and good quality of life. The rural counties are also very red, unlike the major cities in Texas.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:48 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

One thing that should be mentioned is that Texas is trending purple. I dont think Texas will all that red in 10 years time. Oklahoma would be more of a sure bet if that is important to you.
That's because of the people like you who escape from California and bring it to Texas.

Texas should impose voting restrictions on those people. 10 years of residency in Texas in order to qualify.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabe.Mamabookworm View Post
In terms of politics and climate Texas is definitely going to be an improvement. Also strong economy.
Your work background is still unclear. Lake Jackson or Deer Park will probably be a good fit. Or Port Lavaca, but it's more remote. On the coast and close to many chemical and manufacturing jobs, affordable. But that affordability is due to the proximity to the nasty chemical plants.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
That's because of the people like you who escape from California and bring it to Texas.

Texas should impose voting restrictions on those people. 10 years of residency in Texas in order to qualify.
I can only assume youre saying that in jest.

It would take an immense about of stupidity to think a state has the legal authority to do that. Any citizen who establishes residency can vote wherever they live.

I didnt say anything that wasnt factually accurate. Texas is shifting more to the center and its the states own fault. They tried really hard to poach jobs from other states and get companies to move here. The workers come with that and they arent going to all fall in line with the politics of their new home. Texas wanted the companies and got them, but now they have to take said companies employees too (many of which are liberal).

So Texas can stop trying to poach jobs from other states and keep what it was or it can keep poaching companies and take the good with the bad. Choose one or the other.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I can only assume youre saying that in jest.

It would take an immense about of stupidity to think a state has the legal authority to do that. Any citizen who establishes residency can vote wherever they live.

I didnt say anything that wasnt factually accurate. Texas is shifting more to the center and its the states own fault. They tried really hard to poach jobs from other states and get companies to move here. The workers come with that and they arent going to all fall in line with the politics of their new home. Texas wanted the companies and got them, but now they have to take said companies employees too (many of which are liberal).

So Texas can stop trying to poach jobs from other states and keep what it was or it can keep poaching companies and take the good with the bad. Choose one or the other.
Texas is not poaching. Texas is providing better business conditions. Personally I don't like an idea of bringing all those liberals here.

But we need more people like the OP who are suffering in their states and want to escape from the surrounding BS. Just don't bring that BS to Texas and enjoy real freedom here

Old 10-13-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Texas is not poaching. Texas is providing better business conditions. Personally I don't like an idea of bringing all those liberals here.

But we need more people like the OP who are suffering in their states and want to escape from the surrounding BS. Just don't bring that BS to Texas and enjoy real freedom here
They personally go to different states and sell Texas as a place to move their company. They know when they go to California to persuade companies to move here that many are going to be liberal. They arent stupid.

No one can tell anyone where they can or cant move so long as they are legally here. Freedom of movement is guaranteed by the Constitution.

But AGAIN, I didnt say anything that was inaccurate. Texas is trending in that direction over time. Afterall, California was once a Republican state too. Places change. It may not be what you want, but you cant do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas