Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 12:39 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,434,449 times

Advertisements

OP is not actually trying to find a reason to remain in Texas, as the original and subsequent posts clearly indicate.

It's not up to us to convince you to do anything, Momo. If you want to leave, then leave. If you want to stay here and complain, we don't have to listen. It's all free choice.

Stay or go. We don't actually care what your reasons are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 12:41 PM

12 posts, read 6,979 times
Default Good Points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUserNameForAPerson View Post
Aside from Big Bend, I would also mention the Hill Country, Panhandle Plains, Palo Duro Canyon, and Pinewoods of Deep East Texas as places of great scenic value. I would also add that Mexican food is fairly good throughout many parts of Texas, and that the major cities of Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth and Houston all have excellent food scenes.

Texan cities such as Dallas-Ft. Worth and Houston are also large enough to have a plethora of different activities to engage in.
I have been to nearly all those places that you mentioned, and they are, in fact, quite beautiful. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Quote:
I agree with this. Regardless of one's position on abortion, the way this law was written is troubling and may invite similar laws in other states. For example, I read that Newsom is considering a similar law in California modeled on this one that would allow residents sue gun makers and dealers, putting 2nd amendments rights at risk. I think the way the law was constructed is a slippery slope.
Newsom's proposed bill was obviously created to undermine the idiocy of the TX SB 8 law. More states may follow suit, picking sides favorable to their positions whilst making a parody of the constitution. Just business as usual, I guess.

Quote:
Having lived in both the suburbs of San Francisco as well as various large Texan cities, I've found that conservative "Karens" and liberal "Karens" are basically two sides of the same coin. The California and Texan mentality, in this regard, may be more similar than people in either place would like to admit.
As for the Party of Karens reference, you bring up a good point. However, being a Karen is not affiliated with a political party. It is a behavior that is an omnipresent blight affected by modern life where womanhood is weaponized by their supposed victimhood.

Quote:
Additionally, in a hundred years, maybe this style of architecture will be considered to be "historical", and you'll have people in futuristic floating cities complaining about how their modern architecture doesn't compare to those good old classic historical Texan suburban homes.
If that happens, and that's a strong if, I wouldn't want to be here anymore. I'll find my new residence intergalactically.

Quote:
I think alcoholic yuppies form a general subculture found throughout the USA, and doubt that this is unique to Texas. Maybe the country music names you dropped are common in Texas, but this is probably common in a lot of yuppie centers in the south. Check out downtown Nashville, for instance.

I think Dallas and Houston are large enough cities that you can find just about any type of social scene or crowd you want, though of course every city is going to be a little bit different in its style. What sort of social scene are you looking for?
Good question. The social scenes that I prefer have a variety of personalities and an active day and nightlife. When I am surrounded by a creative environment that fosters self-expression, has a flourishing art scene, I am roused. Especially when it's nestled in a city full of history and natural marvels are not too far away.

I could go into more detail, but as I was typing my comment above, I realized that I am more removed from society than I would like to think. In the various places I have had the fortune to see, both urban and rural, I feel as if we all are left with two choices and only two choices. It's as if you have to choose between the yuppie, impersonal part of society that thrives in its aloofness but is surrounded by activities or the blue-collar part of society that is more conventional and slower, yet without pretension.

The social scene point with regards to Texas isn't fair because the general population has been affected by the proliferation of social media, crafting an invisible, counterfeit web of connection. So yeah, I guess my point isn't a direct reflection of Texas cities.

Do you understand what I meant? It all brings me to another question. Do you feel like you belong to society?

Old 02-21-2022, 12:50 PM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
....I feel that Karens should be a political party at this point.... ...would be a refreshing touch to the ballot... I mean, we've seen every stunt pulled off but this in the realm of politics.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:53 PM

1,952 posts, read 830,397 times
This is not San Francisco....no it is not. No pretty views or vibrant art scene or whatever you want.

However, you can actually afford a house here and have money left over to do other things.

You take the good with the bad and no place is perfect.

however there is tons to do here and if you are bored....that is on YOU not Texas.

BTW, Gavin Newsome and Nanci Pelosi seem like the biggest "Karens" that you could have leading a state. They want to restrict and tax your every move. Total fans of top-down governance. Have at it if that is what you want...

Old 02-21-2022, 12:53 PM

16 posts, read 15,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo194 View Post
I have been to nearly all those places that you mentioned, and they are, in fact, quite beautiful. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Newsom's proposed bill was obviously created to undermine the idiocy of the TX SB 8 law. More states may follow suit, picking sides favorable to their positions whilst making a parody of the constitution. Just business as usual, I guess.

As for the Party of Karens reference, you bring up a good point. However, being a Karen is not affiliated with a political party. It is a behavior that is an omnipresent blight affected by modern life where womanhood is weaponized by their supposed victimhood.

If that happens, and that's a strong if, I wouldn't want to be here anymore. I'll find my new residence intergalactically.

Good question. The social scenes that I prefer have a variety of personalities and an active day and nightlife. When I am surrounded by a creative environment that fosters self-expression, has a flourishing art scene, I am roused. Especially when it's nestled in a city full of history and natural marvels are not too far away.

I could go into more detail, but as I was typing my comment above, I realized that I am more removed from society than I would like to think. In the various places I have had the fortune to see, both urban and rural, I feel as if we all are left with two choices and only two choices. It's as if you have to choose between the yuppie, impersonal part of society that thrives in its aloofness but is surrounded by activities or the blue-collar part of society that is more conventional and slower, yet without pretension.

The social scene point with regards to Texas isn't fair because the general population has been affected by the proliferation of social media, crafting an invisible, counterfeit web of connection. So yeah, I guess my point isn't a direct reflection of Texas cities.

Do you understand what I meant? It all brings me to another question. Do you feel like you belong to society?

I had trouble capturing your meaning toward the end of your post, but it sounds like you are talking about the urban vs rural divide. Generally, there are going to be differences between rural, urban, suburban, and small town America. Knowing which of these you want to live in or be in proximity to can help narrow your options for what you are looking for.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:08 PM

374 posts, read 257,882 times
Personally I find Texas to be my favorite state for a variety of reasons. Incredibly diverse topography and scenery, generally pleasant (or at least tolerable) weather anywhere in the state year-round, beautiful and bustling cities of all sorts (I happen to be a fan of the late 80's to mid 00's architectural styles prominent in places like DFW) that offer all manner of things to do or see, an incredible highway network, and generally pleasant people from the small towns to the big cities. Sure property taxes are high, the public education isn't all that great, and certain recent political developments are absolutely abhorrent and medieval (at best) so some government-level restructuring and reorganizing should be in order, but every state has things that make it undesirable. The Texas panhandle is one of my favorite regions to go storm chasing and I actually wanted to move to Fort Worth when I was planning on leaving Colorado a few years ago (wound up in Oklahoma instead); while I think in the long run Oklahoma was what I needed, I find myself wishing I had maybe tried a little harder to get to Texas instead.

Texas isn't for everyone, and if you feel like you'd be better off somewhere else then look into other places to move to. You complain about the loss of small and family owned businesses...well that's not unique to Texas in the slightest. Corporate monopolies are to blame for that and all across the country smaller businesses are losing out to the bigger names over and over again. Your last few posts would make me think you'd probably be more happy in a smaller, more isolated community that has seen little to no real growth in recent decades but I could be wrong.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:43 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
BTW, Gavin Newsome and Nanci Pelosi seem like the biggest "Karens" that you could have leading a state. They want to restrict and tax your every move. Total fans of top-down governance. Have at it if that is what you want...
Well, right now you have the Texas Lieutenant Governor, the second highest executive office in Texas
threatening college professors if they dare to teach about CRT in college.

Same thing as calling for book burning

Old 02-21-2022, 02:56 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo194 View Post
After having traveled through much of the continental USA, including much of my home state of Texas, I find that I am having trouble appreciating Texas as a place to live longer-term. I want to share some of my opinions and see if there are any others out there who feel the same or who can convince me otherwise.

*Long inhale*

I will preface my potentially unpopular opinions by saying five good things about the state.

The Good:
1) The Big Bend National Park has the most breathtaking, untouched scenery in Texas. West Texas is diverse topographically (rivers, canyons, mountains, plains, etc.) and rich with wildlife and history.
2) Affordable real estate.
3) No income taxes.
4) High generation of solar power.
5) The BBQ in Texas is quite possibly the best in the United States. The mandatory vinegar-based BBQ sauce and smoked brisket are superior to any other state.

The Fugly:
1)The Texas abortion law is an obsolete reprehensible law that employs Stasi tactics.
2) The public education system has made many students victims of educational inequality. The majority of student groups in Texas are low-income and/or do not speak English. The state's education system needs to be reevaluated and reformed to ensure school districts receive equal resources.
3) I could complain about the traffic, but that's inconsequential for cities and is not likely to change soon. However, Texas's air and water pollution is a burden (https://www.lung.org/media/press-rel...exas-sota-2021). And despite Texas producing a lot of wind energy, there is hardly any environmental responsibility.
4) High property taxes to compensate for the lack of income tax. This fact also feeds into fugly point #2.
5) Anyone over 21 can purchase a gun without a license or training.
6) Texas has some of the UGLIEST real estate in the U.S. Geez, the Texas Triangle is bursting at the seams with neighborhoods full of McMansions and cookie-cutter homes. The architecture has nothing distinctive or defining because curb appeal is practically nonexistent. Just about everyone's house has the same architectural design; the only difference is the size. Suburban developer housing is common across the U.S., but most of Texas's suburbs are teeming with bland, monotonous housing. At the right angle, the neighborhoods in Texas are indistinguishable from a Monopoly board.
7) Although there are a few charming towns that support local businesses, Texas is rampant with big-box retail and grocery stores. There are rows of bland shopping plazas that look no different from one another across the state. There is hardly any advocacy for local businesses. I mean, how many shopping plazas are needed with the same urban planning and stores like Walmart, Ross, Kohl's, T.J. Maxx, and (fill in with any big-box store).
8) Although the Triangle Cities boast of being trendsetting metroplexes, there isn't a cultural mosaic. Sure, there are a lot of Hispanics and Latinos, but the memo in Texas is assimilation.
9) Why do so many people have to be tied up with MLM's in Texas?
10) The social scenes in the cities are centered around sports bars spilling with alcoholic yuppies who think Chris Stapleton and Luke Comb's are god's gift to country music. Alright, this point isn't entirely true but I stand by it nonetheless.

Thanks for reading my jaded opinions. Any disagreements? Agreements?
Just for the record I think you deserve to be happy so with that in mind I hope you can go find your place in the sun !

And I want to apologize for the remarks I made in my earlier deleted post telling you all those strongly worded sentiments of mine how Texas didn't seem like a place for you despite your nativism.

And at last, a salud to you. Find your Happy Place where the Stasi tactics are not a risk, where public schools are full of equality for all, where environmental responsibility is practiced by all, where the real estate is beautiful, where local businesses are the name of the game, AND where there is no assimilation of cultures, and, and . . . well that's it in my well wishes for your journey.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand the MLM statement nor the alcoholic yuppies so maybe some clarification.

It's a great big ol' world out there, good luck in your quests ! They are so Alonso Quijano like. Your grail awaits you!

Old 02-21-2022, 03:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 830,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Well, right now you have the Texas Lieutenant Governor, the second highest executive office in Texas
threatening college professors if they dare to teach about CRT in college.

Same thing as calling for book burning

Dan Patrick needs to go for a variety of reasons. I plan on voting against him in the primaries.

Although so does CRT. Time to stop trying to guilt whites for what people did hundreds of years ago. Move on...

Not a fan of censorship either and do not want ANY books banned....even the ones that tell us boys can be girls. LOL

Old 02-21-2022, 03:26 PM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Dan Patrick needs to go for a variety of reasons. I plan on voting against him in the primaries.

Although so does CRT. Time to stop trying to guilt whites for what people did hundreds of years ago. Move on...

Not a fan of censorship either and do not want ANY books banned....even the ones that tell us boys can be girls. LOL
As a black, I have to agree with the bolded. I'm against making it mandatory in schools. If someone wants to take a class in it, sure of course.. but I would not want my children growing up looking at life through the lens of race thinking everything bad that happens to him from a white person is victimizing him of such, especially if there are legitimate convictions. That keeps them in the same bondage of racial prejudices that have been rooted through the history of this nation, I want my children to know that their prosperity is dependent on how much they are willing to invest in themselves and what they are willing to sacrifice in order to get ahead, not how much or little someone cares about their skin color or how much they believe is owed to them in life.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-21-2022 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas